Battlefield V (2018)

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by ShadowDuke, Dec 29, 2017.

1. Repo Man

Repo Man Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060Ti
    I'm heavily into CoD this year and loving it but then I made a mistake of opening Origin and saw BF5 half off so my question is do you guys think the games worth it ? I can't be arsed to trawl through the entire thread and various opinions and nitpicks so I'll just give a quick list of questions and preferences.

- Played since 1942 so not super bothered by the lack or inclusion of the spotting system, kinda liked it in BF4 and BF1 but at times it felt like I was just scanning the horizon and spamming Q.
    - I thought I read something about the server browser being a bit iffy atm, is that fixed yet ?
    - Hows the guns ? Although I did alright in BF1, I felt the guns were really inconsistent at times and lacked a bit of punch, also whats the TTK like ?
    - The game still has players right ?
    - Hows the infantry vs vehicle balance ? I felt in BF4 ( and to some degree in BF1 ) the anti-armor classes were heavily neutered which sucked because it was one of my fav classes in BF2 and BF1942.
    - Does the deluxe edition offer anything I might want ? I generally steer well clear of Deluxes but as its only 9 quid more, its still within a reasonable price point imo. Just wondering if it offers anything in the long term seeing as all future maps and stuff will be available to all. The marketing schpiel says something about 20 weekly airlift items or special deluxe assignments and such, no clue what this means except maybe extra lewtboxes or somesuch. I'm not overly bothered by cosmetic crap but I wouldn't say no to the option of being able to play in a neon green mankini either.

Knowing myself, I will probably pull the trigger after a few pints purely because I have a massive boner for Battlefield but at full price and with all of the launch issues I decided to sit on the fence so back to the ultimate question, at half off is the game worth it and do you guys see it being played actively for the next few years ( regardless of the amount of twitch streamers and crap as I don't consider that a reliable barometer for anything ) or is this thing going to be the first main series Battlefield game that tanks hard ? Also realistically, deluxe or no deluxe ?

Thank you kindly whomever replies.

[EDIT] I need to stop asking peoples advice when I basically already know the outcome regardless lol

Just bought the standard edition after a watching a few youtube vids that answered some of my questions. I would still welcome any opinions on the game or tips and tricks.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2018
  2. Evileh

Evileh Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080 TI FTW UL
    Basically everything you had concerns about are answered with a yes. Game is great. You'll love it then.

Kolt and Repo Man like this.
  3. Repo Man

Repo Man Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060Ti
    Yea I just played for 2 hours, I love it!

Just need to try and optimize the performance a bit, figure out what settings I can turn down and what I can keep up. Seems to be pretty well optimized but at times my fps starts to sink a bit too much to my liking.

4. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    Guys big question, did they just fix the youtube uploads for gameplay being shown, now bf5 gameplay looks like it s been played on a 144hrz monitor and it shows on the videos, before there used to be lag and stutter in the uploads now it s super smooth like watching gameplay on 144hz monitor, and oddly enough it feels smoother than my 144hrz monitor weird...any explanation to this?

5. Repo Man

Repo Man Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060Ti
    I used this guys suggestions with a few changes of my own and its pretty good now.

Still get some slowdowns in the most hectic situations but its playable and a good balance of IQ and performance. Rig is starting to show age now, need to keep an eye out for a successor to the GTX970.

[EDIT] Is it just me or is the sound a bit flat in this game ? I haven't played around with the sound settings but coming from games like BO4 and Battlefront 2 a lot of the effects lack oomph and I feel like a lot of the guns sound like ticking swiss clocks on speed or something.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2018
    ramthegamer likes this.
  6. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    Not worth changing for just one game that can t keep above 95 100 fps , the problem is the game it s not the graphics card, i can play bf1 at higher fps and basically same graphics tbh, unless u go the raytracing root there is not point

7. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    The guns do lack a punch indeed, it s not like bf4 where guns used to have more oomph

8. Repo Man

Repo Man Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060Ti
    Ok cool so its not just me then, its not a big deal or anything, perhaps its a bit more realistic this way but I tend to favour the more "cinematic sound design"

9. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    Then you would've loved BC2 gun sounds :p

Solfaur likes this.
  10. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Most of what that guy says in regards to settings is BS though...

You should NEVER lower the resolution on your monitor, when you can lower render res instead. Texture quality has absolutely zero impact on performance, so unless you are restricted by the amount of vram your gpu has, then you should always just set textures to the highest possible.

Kolt likes this.

11. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    You should never reduce either in BF V, if you try the equivalent of 720p in this game, brace yourself for a mess that has more TAA than actual game pixels smeared all over your screen.

fantaskarsef and Kolt like this.
  12. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    So dear gurus, has anyone tried the campaign? (And is there a campaign?)

13. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    War Stories just as the last one, smaller separate miniature stories composed of a few levels though I don't know if it's the same as BF One where the length and quality of these were heavily mixed and several were also very much tall tales or how it's called like Italian-terminator dude. :p

EDIT: Ah but unlike Battlefield One only a few of them are available now, latest one added in was the German tank battalion commander story I believe.

Xtreme1979 likes this.
  14. Xtreme1979

Xtreme1979 Guest

I've played all the campaigns, what would you like to know?

15. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    I understand that each person has different taste, but still: do you find these campaigns interesting? involving? may be comparing to campaigns in BF3 and BF4?
    I like campaigns in BF3 and BF4. They are a bit too short, but nice (despite having quick time events - I hate them, but there are only few of them).

DocStrangelove likes this.

16. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    all these game have pretty much the same formula for "campaigns" a 4 to 7 hour theme park ride with a lot of michael bay moments a good amount of over the top drama. Wholly scripted experience.

Since call of duty got away with shilling that as a "campaign" alot of these multiplayer focused shooters copied it, after all single player is hard and expensive to do well. Why they wanted to just declare single player games were "dead" while in the consuming public single player is the preference of the vast majority of players vs deal with online. Multiplayer might have a bit more longevity and keep people into a game, but modding can do the same for single player games. But game companies have a MUCH harder time monotozing single player games, where mp games it is much easier to push it and convince more to buy them. So single player was declared "dead" by EA and activision.

mbk1969 likes this.
  17. Xtreme1979

Xtreme1979 Guest

They were so so. Not really engaging. I don't like pre-rendered video interrupts, and prefer rendered scenes. Voice acting was very good though, "You're Billy Bridger!" :D

mbk1969 likes this.
  18. Shataan

Shataan Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4090ti
    I still feel they missed out on a great opportunity,,,, by not giving us historic battles. This games visuals engine would have provided a truly epic immersive experience in those battles. What a waste. Historic battles have actual replay value. What they gave us, has 0 replay value. And tbh I could care less about what we got for the sp stuff. For me anyways, it was all less than compelling.

19. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    i assume that down the line we're gonna get omaha beach, wake island, market garden, tarkov... ?

20. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    I would have loved to see anything relating to Australian soldiers in New Guinea or The Philippines fighting the Japanese... there is so much of World War 2 that could be used as reference for accurate interesting stories, but nope.... ignored every single time.

XenthorX and mbk1969 like this.