Review: AMD Athlon 200GE processor

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 21, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    We check out that 55 USD 2c/4t Athlon processor. These procs should have a locked multiplier with a max 3200 Mhz clock freqeuency. But what do you know, MSI motherboards and the latest AGESA BIOS do o...

Review: AMD Athlon 200GE processor

Ulenn likes this.
  2. Andy Watson

Andy Watson Master Guru

GPU:
    Nice review and good info about the unlocking. There are actually loads of people this would be good for, a while back I got my wife that cheap dual core Pentium that they released and like this cpu it is perfect as all she does is check email, use simple office tasks, browses and plays card games.

PS I am old enough to remember the pencil trick, though it was better to use the gold proper conductive paint. :)

3. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Personally i think now with us going into 2019, and TBH even in the past couple of years 2 cores just aren't enough for a desktop experience, even phones and tablets for the most part are using at least 4 cores.

Find you easily reach CPU bottleneck is most cases which won't be good for most people unless you just want this as a more office machine? Then yeah i can see this being a good bargain PC for that very purpose

4. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Well, this is 2C/4T. So, it is close to 3 core CPU in actual performance.
    Then again, cellphones use chips with much lower clock and IPC.

rl66 likes this.

5. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Anyone buying this processor for a gaming system will be quite disappointed. This processor would work perfectly fine for a media center system or just browsing the web though. Not everyone performs tasks that require 4 or more physical cores.

schmidtbag likes this.
  6. vestibule

vestibule Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX6600XT
    I have said chip. But I have the 320 mobo and so the OC bios do not work for me. Infact they do not even show on my bootable pen drive. which is strange.
    Other non OC bios do.
    Been playing NFS underground 2 and Doom3 on this throw away SOC amazing.
    So GPU out put is of about 2004 or GT6800Ultra.
    Game on. :)

7. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I wonder how many people buy desktops for media consumption these days or just browsing the Web. Least from what I've seen with desktop sales being down it seems desktop is mainly used for those who need a bit more horsepower whilst laptops, tablets, phones have taken on the role of media players (or consoles/smart tvs).

But as I said if you just want this for media use then it's a great chip I don't see many having an issue with it. But I'd say to anyone buying the ryzen 3 would be a far better choice since the price difference is on massive (least in the UK when I checked it was around £20 different countries may vary of course)

8. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    So being on CCX, the memory speed is not going to matter so much anyways. It would help on apps that require that bandwidth still, but normal every day to day stuff you would not notice.

9. devastator

devastator Master Guru

GPU:
    rx7900xt sapphire
    arm might be the future

10. FM57

FM57 Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit RTX 2070
    The pity right now is the little number of AMD powered laptops. I would love to buy a Dell / HP 13.3" and cannot find one with a Ryzen. (Europe based)

I hope that will change in 2019.

11. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    We have around this:
    HP ENVY x360 13-ag0010nc
    And a lot of 14 inchers.

12. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Nice review Boss , Asus has released a new Bios that also unlocks this cpu for overclocking. For $55US Dollars it will make for a good tiny itx built htpc.

13. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    Athlon 220GE (3.4ghz + 10 Euro) and 240GE (3.5ghz + 30 Euro) are already in warehouse in here, start to sale in january but i will try to put a hand on one :)

14. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    yes an with an average 100W for complete system you can do a complete passive HTPC system :)

chispy likes this.
  15. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    Yes all the points... but it's not 100% compatible PC, there was lot of ultra tiny computer arm based that work really fine with kodi as an exemple but it is really limited in evolution compared to a real cheap low powered PC.

Don't make me tell that they aren't good (i use 2 of them one Pi and one Asus that someone gave to me) , it's just not the same use.

16. FrostNixon

FrostNixon Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT
    I was considering this one for my htpc build, but I decided that buying a cpu which is 2.5x cheaper than my motherboard is not a great idea so I just went for the 140$ 2400g.

rl66 likes this.
  17. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    For pure HTPC a A320 at 40 Euro is enough (but some need bios update, and some doesn't OC while other does (on other hand the A320 doesn't OC at all if you look AMD webpage).
    If you have money the 2400G is a good choise the video and the CPU are both stronger on this one,and if you choise the B450 chipset it can even be a really cool HTPC / 2nd PC
    the TDP is 65w, so consider that passive cooling solution isn't a nice solution (most are limited to 65w and so after a long use it will be too weak for good cooling), use a "silent" active cooling instead.

18. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    There's enough of a market to justify the release of these processors. Whether you understand it or not....

carnivore likes this.
  19. FrostNixon

FrostNixon Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT
    I had to go for a b450, because there were no other ITX mobos, just two AB320s but they were eachh 110 so ai just dropped 125 for a b450 Fatal1ty itx, placing it with a 2400g inside an inwin chopin and placing it under the tv. So long trash TV OS.

20. Darkiee

Darkiee Master Guru

GPU:
    7900XTX
    Well, i´v been looking for a new pc for my dad, and this would make a great point to start. He doesn´t need more than that, just for browsing, bank, maybe some utube, and thats it.
    Cheap rams, cheap MB, and cheap SSD, and he would be loving it.