Review: ASUS ROG Ryujin and Ryuo AIO kits

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 19, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Today, we are reviewing the new Asus ROG-series AIO liquid coolers, the Ryujin and Ryuo. ASUS ROG (Republic of Gamers) is a branding that represents the highest standard from Asus. Ryujin is a legenda...

Review: ASUS ROG Ryujin and Ryuo AIO kits

fantaskarsef and -Tj- like this.
  2. Nymbryxion

Nymbryxion Guest

GPU:
    2080TI FE
    Thank you for the review. But I did have a question about it. Maybe I missed this in the review itself, but, how did you monitor the temps during the BASE and OC tests?

I only ask because this cooler gets its info from the asus AI suite... which tends to be 5-10c off from actual temps. Normally it reports the temps too low.

Just wanted to confirm it. Thank you for your hard work!

3. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Thanks for this detailed review!

Price is a bit steep though..

4. Aardie

Aardie Member

GPU:
    EVGA 1070 SLI
    I still don't get why manufacturers mix metals with these AIO's Copper Cpu Block Aluminum Radiator? I am sure somewhere down the road they will have problems due to the mix of metals. I personally have a Alphacool AIO Copper Cpu block Copper Radiator and its been in my system for nigh on 18 months now no issues at all.

Just Seen the price my goodness that is expensive 130 uk £ for a 280 Alphacool AIO here, NO fancy lights though.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2018

5. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Very nice coolers with some interesting details but those prices... Asus must think they are the Apple of PC parts...

Great reviews as always!

6. Error8

Error8 Member Guru

GPU:
    Palit RTX 2080 Supe
    Great review! Finally the 8700K is delided and temperatures are more objective then ever.

7. buhehe

buhehe Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 6700 XT
    Wow, a whole year and a half?

-Tj- likes this.
  8. Darkiee

Darkiee Master Guru

GPU:
    7900XTX
    Geez those prize tags...
    Solid review as always.

Surely the Noctuas Industrial fans increases the price. Atleast that is covered well.
    Can´t wait to get my Industrial fans, just getting bigger and badder, 3000rpm 140mm ones. 120mm would suited alot better for me,
    but meh, prize was same.

9. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Lol yeah that was funny.

I have a hybrid copper aluminum H90 for what 5years now and still no issues.. It cools just as it cooled day1 60months ago, nvm corrosion paranoia. If you use non conductive thermal paste all will be ok. ;)

10. Tone

Tone Member

GPU:
    Asus 3090 Tuf OC
    I read another review about this cooler and what they said was that the CPU temp for the AI Suite is taken from a temp probe on the mother board, (this was apparently checked with ASUS) this is why there is a large temp difference, so the unit does not report the correct CPU Temp, therefore the fans on the unit did not react / speed up in time to react to real world temps, they also said the secondary fan for the cooler was a good idea, but as a small fan it can be noisy, this is what was reported here,
    https://www.overclock3d.net/reviews...240_and_ryujin_360_aio_liquid_cooler_review/1
    see section 4
    a good cooler that needs a few changes to make it great

11. SamuelL421

SamuelL421 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 / RTX 5000
    These are looking good. Pricing is a bit steep but the build quality is appears to be there and they have they have legitimately good fans!?

12. GREGIX

GREGIX Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d 4090 X3
    Its clearly not worth to pay for this as noctua on air does job similar and cheaper. And safer...

jura11 likes this.
  13. igorfiuza

igorfiuza Member

GPU:
    Radeon RX 480 8G WC
    I'm using an H80i GT since late 2015, and never had any issues. Aluminum rad with copper block and it keeps my 4790 as cool as it did over 3 years ago. It's keeping me wondering now how better would it get with a pair of those industrial fans.

sykozis likes this.
  14. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Copper is good at absorbing heat but but less effective at letting it go.

thats why copper cores and aluminium are are used in cooling solutions whether air or water based.

15. Captain_Hook

Captain_Hook Member Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 1080 Ti AIO
    Thanks, I'm glad that you like it.

I had Alphacool AIO in the past and to be honest - it wasn't any better (performance-wise) than the alumin

It's not cheap, for sure, but you won't get OLED display elsewhere.

Yes, it's always better to test the CPU with solder/delidded as the TIM would definitely flatten the charts.

Noctua fans are the class of their own, almost always (I didn't like the Redux in the past).

-Tj- likes this.

16. Captain_Hook

Captain_Hook Member Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 1080 Ti AIO
    Not really, copper is still better at dissipating the heat ;) . The main reason of using aluminum is the price, not the potential ;)

tunejunky likes this.
  17. Captain_Hook

Captain_Hook Member Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 1080 Ti AIO
    I had no issues with reaction of the fan curve, but still Ai Suite is not a good utility for measuring the temperature.

I use HWMonitor or HWInfo. I knew already from the past (like in Maximus IX Code) that Ai Suite is not good at indicating the correct temperatures ;)

-Tj- likes this.
  18. Aardie

Aardie Member

GPU:
    EVGA 1070 SLI
    Wow, a whole year and a half?

Yes August last year :)

19. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    outstanding job on the review.
    for Asus, too much for too much.

if they really wanted to grab attention and fan $$$, come out with a branded aio monobock matching the mobos.

otherwise, noctua or NZXT, alphacool, etc...

20. Dazz

Dazz Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX 2080
    I have had my Ryujin 360 for a month now it's not bad and is very quiet once you use fan xpert and run fan the main fans at 400rpms which is mounted to the front, I guess the R7 1700 must take the temp from the motherboard probe as the temps match with whats on the display. Typically idles at 35C maxes out about 52C typical gaming loads around 43-45C on ultra quiet, this is with the 1700 at 4GHz on all cores and 1.438v. This matches what CPU Temp says also, i might give HWinfo a go but last time i used that i find it a little clunky.

It's quieter than the Noctua nh-d15 and cooler too on low but then again inorder to mount the Rog 360 i had to get rid of the 2x 140mm front fans, 1x 140mm fan on the top and then the 2x 140mm on the Noctua so lost alot of fan which helps noise alot even if they were all running on low 500rpms.

As for mixed metals Jaz2centz recently cut open a corsair H100 that he got 5 years ago and found there was zero corrosion so it appears the corrosion inhibitor in the fluid is working pretty well. He was disappointed because he has now ruined a perfectly good cooler lol.

Can't get Fan xpert to work properly however as the system will thermal shut down before completing as it appears it turns the pump off and takes a long to complete. Even decided to run the 1700 at stock at it was hitting 100C and thermal throttling during the fan test. Software is still garbage sent a ticket to ASUS to sort that crap out. The pump should not be turned off while doing the tests or it should be done before any other fans are tested to prevent water from boiling away.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
    Captain_Hook likes this.