[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 RS5 - BUILD 17763.107 - RTM

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Extraordinary, Sep 20, 2018.

1. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    you need to run it as admin disable both and reboot the system. Then it will show disabled. :)

I lose 300 points in fire strike physics test with spectre enabled.

Didn't bench ssd in a long time so idk what's up with meltdown but that didn't affect that said test or other gaming CPU bound benchmarks, only spectre did.

2. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
  3. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Suspicious - 700MB for Internet Explorer fix???

4. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    For the full update I guess with these being cumulative it does include .194 and earlier but it also updated components such as ImagingEngine.dll for the Photo Viewer software in the Program Files folder so there are additional components updated beyond just Internet Explorer itself from just a quick check. (Files dated December 19th or with the .195 version number string in them.)

If the delta update was that big though updating from a image already using .194 then that's a lot more than I would expect although from a check in the Windows folders components update include the kernel, media foundation, java script and probably more such as for the system apps Edge appears to have seen some updates too.

Nothing new as such since these cumulative updates often include unlisted changes, sometimes there's more complete comparisons posted such as the components in the respective update and what changed from one to the other. :)
    Though with Internet Explorer also being pretty tightly integrated into the OS then I can see some components being updated as a result of that too but Edge and some other parts likely go outside of that and if it's security related I assume Microsoft is going to be keeping quiet as to the exact nature of what was fixed although security reports and other posts occasionally go into more detail.

5. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Maybe it bundles every other browser with it

AsiJu, RzrTrek, mbk1969 and 1 other person like this.
  6. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    :D:D:D

7. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I just noticed it yet. It is DISGUSTING how they are able to break old solid piece of software in the Nadella's era.

Anarion likes this.
  8. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Patch Tuesday same as every month, usually.

.Net security update, Adobe Flash security update and that one monthly scan software for common malware.

Plus the usual cumulative update.
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4480116/windows-10-update-kb4480116

kb4480116 17763.253

9. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    That's called MSRT. :)

JonasBeckman likes this.
  10. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Ah right I keep forgetting the name of it and it's become that one recurring monthly check-up software instead.
    Can apparently be toggled off via registry changes but I usually just let it do it's standard 2 - 3 minute scan just as a precaution, doesn't really impact anything letting it run. :)

Especially these days with the amount of money involved with virus and malware of various sorts and how often they keep changing and being updated, can't really be too careful I suppose.
    (Granted this one mostly focuses on a few more common variants together with Defender and just common sense but eh even good websites can get compromised unfortunately.)

Most of these monthly cumulative updates also primarily focus on security, features and changes mostly come from the Windows 10 bi-yearly build releases now.

And on that note Redstone 5 seems to be in good shape finally although I am aware there's still a list of reported known issues some of which has been around for a few builds by this point. Overall Microsoft seems to be going a bit too fast though I can't really speak for having any insight into what's going on in the Windows development but it certainly feels the change from one to two yearly releases compromised the overall stability of the OS a bit though who knows, maybe 19H1 can be a good turnaround after what happened with Redstone 4 and Redstone 5 initially.
    (Seems good so far but bug-bash is coming up later this month and then it'll be finalizing over the last bit in development and the full release probably in mid-April if all goes well.)

Well what would I know, random thoughts mostly and the state of the OS seeing features being implemented partially or dropped or replaced and changed from one build to another nothing to do but wait and see how it goes and who knows what's happening internally over at Microsoft for some of these decisions and consequences.

11. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    how does one switch from achi to raid on ryzen system without reinstalling.
    booting into safe mode doesnt work. system stops loading at boot logo and restarts.
    and amd installer wont install raid drivers when system is in achi mode.

12. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    @JonasBeckman

the 2 build release per year clearly compromised stability of the OS and MS lack of Q/A adds to this issue, Once year build update is much better idea. Usual this mean years to OS release the is alot more stable and bug free then windows 10 is currently

I guess is depends on who you ask too. In all my years of have windows OS I has never failed to notify me of updates to the OS and that is going back to windows xp and farther/ but apparently Notifications for WU via AC os broke atlest it is for me and I Still on 1803 cause I dont want to do freaking clean install of windows 10 Majority of all the writes on my OS drive is coming from having to do clean installs all over again. and I getting tired of do that. I just want the OS to work bug free or atlest more bug free then windows 10 has managed so far.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
    JonasBeckman likes this.
  13. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    CU's are also flakey. The Patch Tuesday release is their QA'ed update and the updates that come subsequently in the same month are "previews" even though they're not gated behind the release preview ring. All you have to do is press check for updates! Just stay away from the WU section of Settings if you need the PC to be reliable but check the change log in the update history site if a preview update has a fix you want.

JonasBeckman likes this.
  14. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I have no doubt the CU are buggy as Im sure one them is what broke the AC from notifying about WU updates in first place. and after month trying to fiqure out why I gave up looking, I know it was work when I first installed 1803 cleanly, but sortly after some update it started.

Atlest they didnt break the WU to the point where it actual just ignores the " notify before download and install" that part works from with WU it just not being forwarded to AC, for everything else AC notifications work fine though.

There is reason why I have thing defer 180 days, I think I just gona start deferring them for max ammount now

on side note, my uncle got new PC which had windows 10 home, which means updates are downloaded and installed automatically with no way of changing it, this 1809 got pushed and I wasgetting called about window 10 not working right anymore. and the reverting to previous build failed, things crashing and not even starting.

So he was forced to do clean install of windows from USB stick just to fix that. let me just say he was not happy and I was even less happy cause I got to hear it. he is lucky the windows install from USB stick work as it was supposed to, his system got activated shortly after reinstalling the OS its still on home though, now everything is fine at least till he has the update pushed again, hope fully next time it wont screw stuff up for him.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
  15. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    You are noobs. All you have to do is to set your internet connection as a metered one. I have set mine for ages and I have no automatic downloads and installs, either minor or major ones.

AsiJu and The1 like this.

16. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I will let him know about that metered thing. actual Were is this setting? I all see is limiting data, which will just keep windows 10 from going over the limit, which mean it would just download anyway, so long as stay under the limit set, also wired connection not wireless

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
  17. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    It doesn`t matter wired or not - Microsoft made this for both.
    Open Network settings

[​IMG]

click "Change connection properties"

[​IMG]

and turn this On.

Do you think several gigabytes of upgrade from 1803 to 1809 are qualified as big data? Or monthly 300+ megabytes of cumulative updates?

https://www.howtogeek.com/226722/how-when-and-why-to-set-a-connection-as-metered-on-windows-10/

18. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    To me gb use to install, so long as it when I choose to do them not when MS chooses. I have Pro so to me it not issue thing dont get installed with out my say so, for most part with out the meter connection enabled. I gave info to my uncle he will let me know it it stops the autoupdates.

19. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    Anyone know if it is safe to disable this with a 9th gen intel cpu? I heard it had hardware protection and didn't need software.

20. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    I have not look up, but I doubt that it doesn`t need software.