Windows 10 October update now fully available

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 18, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    It goes without saying that the Windows 10 October update rollout has had a few snags. It was redacted, then halted and then paused for specific end-users with even more specific hardware setups. ...

Windows 10 October update now fully available

2. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I really don't like them calling people who click that check for updates button to be advanced users. At least the OS is in better shape now anyway. They still need to fix shellexperiencehost being a pos though.

3. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    October is spelled D e c e m b e r in Microsoft's headquarters.

Clawedge likes this.
  4. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    You must be mistaken, it is February edition.
    Anyway, I am on insider 18290. It is bit less problematic.

5. Mateja

Mateja Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GT 640 12140MB
    or better yet, 18298 :) lots of bug fixes. and that Russian site w/ the ISOs doesn't 404 anymore. lol

6. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    I moved back to the slow ring in the Insider's group after four years of being in the fast ring--started Win10 Insiders Oct 1, 2014, first day of the program. I downloaded 17763, the Oct release, the first time it was offered, before it was ever pulled, and have been there ever since--with no problems to report. 100% stable. Now on build 17763.168 (after a couple of cumulative updates.) I'm getting sort of tired of Microsoft trying to reinvent the wheel every six months, however. For me, 17763 (original Official Oct Windows release) is rock stable and always has been--bug reports can have so many causes other than OS bugs, it's not funny, so I don't pay attention until I myself actually encounter a described "bug," and in the case of the Oct release, I never did encounter such bugs--no little ones, and certainly no show-stoppers.

To illustrate what I mean, here's what Microsoft itself says about it's latest fast-ring insider release, build 18298:

REMINDER: As is normal with builds early in the development cycle, builds may contain bugs that might be painful for some. If this makes you uncomfortable, you may want to consider switching to the Slow ring. Slow ring builds will continue to be higher quality.

Microsoft has said the same for every fast-ring Insider's build released since the original release of 17763. Guess what's in the higher-quality slow ring...17763, of course.

So I've been as content as a bug in a rug in the slow lane these days. On 17763...! It makes sense to me to take the last official release and build on top of it towards the next official release, etc. That way you don't have to post stability warnings about the "early" builds in the next release cycle, presumably RS-6, in this case. I'm going to be staying in the slow ring for some time to come, I would imagine. Can't figure what Microsoft is trying to do here with an official release every six months--present a moving target to hackers? Maybe. At any rate, what's Microsoft going to do in five years when it has ~14 versions of Win10 to support? Someone @ Microsoft needs to think about this, imo.

7. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Its not like they have that many builds to support. Insiders are not getting any support whatsoever. Each Insider build has timebomb.
    And each non-insider build is to be upgraded to newer one over time. That's if one wants to have all patches. Only exception is LTSB. And that itself is not really that good.

It's like support for Win XP in form of service pack. Who wants updates gets service pack.

8. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Reminds me of this joke:
    Why do programmers confuse Halloween with Christmas?
    Because Oct 31 = Dec 25

Fox2232 likes this.
  9. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    I will hold out untill October 2019.

10. warezme

warezme Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga 970GTX Classified
    In the world of Windows 10 users, knowing there is an update window and a button there to push to check updates is an "advanced user" INCREDIBLY sad as that is.

11. Dimitrios1983

Dimitrios1983 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX580
    Anyone notice a lot of updates for Windows 7 lately? Seems to be running a little slow versus my Windows 10 PC recently. Like a weird lag with the mouse.

12. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    Until next week when they'll pull it again. :p

Keitosha likes this.
  13. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    1x RTX 3080 FE
    There's still a really frakking annoying bug present in 1809. When i start my PC in the morning, i get passed the motherboard post screen but just before the windows 10 login screen appears, my monitor comes up with the 'no signal.' The rig is running, all the lights are on, all the fans are on but the monitor becomes unresponsive. If i then go ahead and press the Reset button on my PC case, the computer boots up and gets the login screen and works no problem.

When i roll back to 1803, the problem is completely gone and the PC boots first time every time and always lets me login to my desktop.

14. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    to bad i still have this stuff defered for 180 days around june it should be pushed to me if I dont push derfer even farther

15. nick0323

nick0323 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus DUAL RTX2060S
    RzrTrek likes this.

16. Size_Mick

Size_Mick Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1070 8GB
    Does anyone else have the File Explorer problem with Dark Mode, which is black text on a dark gray background, making it barely readable? None of the fixes I've found have worked for me. Does that make this a bug?

17. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    As the tradition dictates :p

18. MaverickScot

MaverickScot Guest

Advanced users = Beta testers.

19. Towtol25

Towtol25 Member

GPU:
    2x 290x LCooled
    I run Win10x64 on desktop and Win7x64 on laptop. On every update from M$ I use InSpectre to check if the Meltdown/Spectre protections have been reset. I keep both protections disabled.

20. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Gaming X
    Haha upgrade failed

download via windows update

not gonna do a clean install so i guess i might have got lucky in a way

EDIT.. permissions issue, logged into a microsoft account and it worked ok
    previously i was using a local account

Last edited: Dec 19, 2018