GeForce RTX 2060 is coming (sooner than expected)

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 17, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. varkkon

varkkon Member Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 1080 Ti
    Huh crazy! Well as long as it is a good price and it increases the base GPU over the current 1060 it sounds good to me. I wonder if it will equal a 1070 Ti, probably hey.

The big question on my mind is, will Nvidia really release 7nm refreshes in 2019 of the 2000 series? Or does it all ride on what AMD does with 7nm in 2019?

3. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    If Nvidia are wanting to make their stock price go in the opposite direction they are going to have to price these things competitively instead of acting like Apple.

sykozis likes this.
  4. Devid

Devid Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX 6800 XT TUF
    What an interesting time ahead!
    GTX 1060 / 6GB GDDR5X, GTX 1070 8GB GDD5X and now this one...and they all pretty much the same time.
    Releasing of RTX 2060 this early means AMD is cooking something delicious for us I believe :)

5. Stairmand

Stairmand Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 Aorus Maste
    I bit strange, I seem to remember nVidia themselves saying lower spec RTX didn't make sense.

6. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    As long as they don't reduce the ray tracing & tensor core capabilities any lower than the current power of the RTX 2070, then this is a good move. I think less powerful ray tracing capabilities than an RTX 2070 don't make sense, but if they just 'transport the RT cores over' to an RTX 2060 with less CUDA cores, then this is a viable product I think. I don't know if this is possible though, I don't know enough about how the RT cores are imbedded with the CUDA cores - for instance I don't know if their architecture means a certain proportion of RT cores have to be combined with a certain amount of CUDA cores - if that was the case then what I propose might mean a more fundamental redesign, which makes what I propose less likely to occur.

HonoredShadow and Yogi like this.
  7. m4dn355

m4dn355 Master Guru

GPU:
    Guru3D 2080 Super H
    Good price and nvidia don't go hand in hand these days ;)

Keitosha and sykozis like this.
  8. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    RTX... if they put the RT cores and AI cores on this one, they're offering us RTX 720p 30fps probably. Waste of diespace if so.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
    chispy, Dragam1337, carnivore and 2 others like this.
  9. HardwareCaps

HardwareCaps Guest

GPU:
    x
    1070 TI? highly doubt it. probably closer to the 1070.
    2080 is 1080Ti level
    2070 is 1080 level

10. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    I never had any doubt it was an RTX part.

11. Petr V

Petr V Master Guru

GPU:
    Gtx over 9000
    Not only lower spec RTX but all of them.

12. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    RTX cards while heavily marketed for raytracing have value coming from all those other features. Yes, for raytracing, they sux. For now, not one game delivered real raytracing, only fake.

Would be better if game developers implemented those other features.

13. Yogi

Yogi Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6800
    I reckon they'll just rebrand the entire range, bar maybe the gt series, in order to "avoid confusion".
    My bet is on the 2060 and lower not being fitted with RT cores.
    The only scenario where it might make sense to have them would be for dlss

14. Petr V

Petr V Master Guru

GPU:
    Gtx over 9000
    Agreed 2080ti can be good gpu for 4K/60 if they just lower the price and stop implementing RT cause it’s not ready to use with this gen of gpu’s.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
  15. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    Then they need to be ready for refunds when people return RTX cards that turn out not to have RT. Unless the retail boxes have big, ugly disclaimers impossible not to notice.

16. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    If they dont actually give it a RT cores and call it RTX just for the hell of it that becomes confusing and misleading i would say intentionally.

Lets be honest, no RT cores (maybe) end up being slower than 1070 (first FF benchmark) less vram, more expensive = fail product.

17. Caesar

Caesar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Gaming X
  18. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    We had DX10 ready cards with no DX10 games in sight.

Bottom line is a new technology you buy into, you risk the adaption rate. Pretty simple with that. Regardless of having RT available or not, the RTX line is a strong line performance wise still and will here on be the on going arch that is optimized for Nvidia until they release something new.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  19. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    If this has the same amount of RT cores as the other GPUs, I actually think this might be the best model of the bunch. Right now, raytracing is bottlenecked by the RT cores, so a 2060 ought to give you roughly the same 1080p performance (with RTX on) as a 2080 while being much cheaper.

Rather than make a dozen confusing variations of the 2060 like they did with the 1060, I think it'd make sense if they made a slightly cut-down version of the 2060, without RT cores. Call that the GTX 2060 and that way there's no real confusion at all. I'm sure some of you going to be like "hurr durr they should make the GTX model the better one!" but if Nvidia wants RTX to sell, they need it to have leverage.

20. GamerNerves

GamerNerves Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT Nitro+
    I'm doubtful if 'the RTX' on this card enable anything else than the mentioned other features like the new anti aliasing method. Raytracing could be manageable with this card if more lighter indie games come up with it. Either way I doubt this is a meaningful upgrade from GTX 1060, because you get only some more performance and then slightly higher power consumption with unnecessary features. There is even the doubt if image quality suffers with some of the latest Nvidia tech like the DLSS or raytracing or heavy memory bandwith compression.

The case where these RTX cards are good are DX12 and Vulkan titles, but I'm quite sure you will get a better alternative for those titles when Navi arrives, so I recommend to wait if you are going to upgrade your graphic card from something like GTX 1070 or below and going to get a new monitor in the next year or so. Freesync is still cheaper than G-Sync and you want that combined with the new driver suite which AMD just released.

For me this is underwhelming information, but I understand that many who find raytracing very appealing might go with this card. I still honestly recommend to consider image quality and pure value performance ratio, where this card innevitably excels worse than the previous GTX 1060.