RX Vega Owners Thread, Tests, Mods, BIOS & Tweaks !

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by OnnA, Aug 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    ^^ Also IMO (as for "AMD also requested monitoring being off by default in program such as GPU-Z since it's often misunderstood.")

We can safely assume, that real Hotspot is around GPU/HBM2 Temps + 10 to 15 deg.cels. (depends on cooling solution)
    On My GPU i can see it's exact +12deg. ! (when Gaming)

When i go down with HBM2 OC, GPU & Hotspot going down also.
    Maby it's just back of the PCB behind GPU Die? Im sure that it's not VRMs.

Here on Vega XTX we have six temperature values:

This is 5min 3Dmark test.
    [​IMG]

And this is 45min of BF V Multi (Ultra/High w/TAA, 70FPS no_____drops)
    [​IMG]

Here from Guru3D Thermal Imaging (look at M1 & M2)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
  2. Kuski

Kuski Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix vega 64
    Yeah my hotspot seems to just shoot up instead of rising gradually. I have my strix vega 64 undervolted and it peaks around 100 degrees on the hotspot when I play world of tanks.

3. Kuski

Kuski Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix vega 64
    Hey so because your hotspot is going down when u lower your hbm2 clocks, should I just lower my memory OC and overclock the core clock?

4. NAZ2222

NAZ2222 Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX MERC 6800XT 16G
    Thanks less problems to solve after ;)

OnnA likes this.

5. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Yup, start with that.
    Also Make Your own research :cool: (To know Your Vega, every RIG is different e.g. The Air flow etc.)
    Also is Strongly recommended to use new Adrenalin 2019 (For any ATI Radeon).

6. Kuski

Kuski Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix vega 64
    Yeah I'm using the new adrenalin and I actually got good airflow in my case. 3 front fans and mesh front panel. I tried to use lower clock on the memory and higher on the core, but I just ended up with even hotter hotspot. [​IMG]

https://imgur.com/a/glk6dbO

7. slicer

slicer Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 64
    I am in the same boat as You.
    I have a Gigabyte reference Vega64, with Gigabyte Vega64 LC bios on second bios. Also I have the notrious Morpheus II cooler with 2x120mm fans.
    Still it gets over 100 degrees when stabilty stress testing with FireStrik stress test or TImeSpy stress test.

8. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Try reading with different Soft
    HWinfo64 & AIDA (compare results)
    It could be this: "AMD also requested monitoring being off by default in program such as GPU-Z since it's often misunderstood"

So final step will be, meansure temps by Hand ;)
    Yup if it's too hot then Yes it is ~90deg.
    But if You 'can't touch this' then it's propably above 100deg.

9. Kuski

Kuski Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix vega 64
    Sadly hwinfo and gpu-z reports the exact same temperatures and hotspot too. What I noticed though, for me the gpu core effects the hotspot way more than the HBM. If I underclock the core I can overclock the memory. (Maybe there is different hotspots on the vega and for example gpu-z reports the hottest hotspot :D?). And I don't think its very good idea to touch the gpu when its 90+ degrees xD. Even the side panel which is glass becomes very hot on the area where is the gpu.

10. Kuski

Kuski Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix vega 64
    Well I still can't OC the memory very much. I was wondering if I should still try to repaste the gpu with Gelid GC-Extreme? Some people have said it has been better for them than noctua or thermal grizzly. I mean I really don't want to use more money on this gpu if it won't cool down. Also about the automatic undervolt in the radeon software, have you tried it? I thought the automatic overclock will test the maximum clocks with the lowest voltage the card can handle and set it so, but it does not really seem to work. And about the chill, why can't I set fps to 144 or 120 and then the card should hold it? If it could push more fps normally ofc. But it only gives like 70 fps??

11. Kuski

Kuski Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix vega 64
    Oh and I forgot to say that I already have opened the card twice. The screws are kinda hard to unscrew and screw back in. I don't know if the quality of the screws are getting worse after every opening? Could I even get it so tight anymore after third opening?

12. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Im Using OverdriveN Tool w/PP states + WattMan set to Custom + Fan curve
    == Yes maby it's good idea to paste GPU with better compund.
    Your call, maby someone did it?
    If Yes, Can you elaborate on the matter (share ur experience)

13. Kuski

Kuski Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix vega 64
    Honestly I think wattman is good overclocking tool, after the update you can change all the p states with it.
    I have been messing with the settings and even with heavy undervolt and gpu core at 1400 mhz the hotspot goes to 100 degrees. I could get so much more out of this card if there was not that hotspot. I just don't know how there can be such hot hotspot since I have good airflow and I have already changed the paste to noctua. I was just thinking about the gelid extreme compound if it was better, because I had read somewhere that it is bit better than noctua on vega, but in the other hand people say gelid / kryonaut / noctua is pretty much the same stuff. I also used so much of the noctua paste on the core and hbm, there is no chance there is spot without the paste.
    The biggest difference I have had after opening the card were on the vrm temps, because I also changed the thermal pad. They went even hotter than the hotspot (110 degrees), now they are often like 70-80 under heavy load so not bad.
    Any ideas what I should do now with my strix card? You know some compound that would be much better for this than noctua? ( I know I will not use liquid metal ).
    And by the way as you probably know on some cards the hbm is slightly taller than the core, on my card they are exactly at the same level.

14. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    I've read about ASUS strix and im sure there is Thermal pad + cooling issues with this Model.
    You need to cool it, try with some YT solutions.
    IMO You can easily knock off 20deg. cels.
    Then if Hotspot is at 80-90deg. You can game with OC NP.

It has something with HBM2 & GPU are not the same height, therefore it may create an "heat cushion" then you'll end up with +100deg temps.
    Easy task to know if this is it, paste then put on it (block) then release and check if compound 'sticks' well at whole GPU.
    BTW the Strix cooling solution is rather good, unfortunately You need to do 'the dirty' work by Yourself.

-> https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=vega+strix+cooling+problems

Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
  15. Kuski

Kuski Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix vega 64
    Yeah the only thing I imagine I could had done wrong is that, even though I put a lot of compound on the gpu and hbm, I did not put any on the cooler itself. I thought it would just go there too fine, but could it make difference if I also put the compound on the cooler itself? I still have some noctua paste if I should try do this one more time today?

16. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Don't exceed with paste, just make it 'stick' with Block.
    Too much is not always better ;)

17. Kuski

Kuski Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix vega 64
  18. Kuski

Kuski Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix vega 64
    I would need to do figure out quite quickly how I can unscrew the last screw because soon I need to go to sleep :/ It would not take long to repaste after I have that one last screw opened...

OnnA likes this.
  19. Kuski

Kuski Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix vega 64
    I just ended up putting the gpu back into the pc since I was unable to get it open anymore

20. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    :eek: HBM2 trolling GDDR o_O

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
    jimpsar likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.