GTX1060 Noticed Something Strange with Clocks

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by NiColaoS, Dec 14, 2018.

1. NiColaoS

NiColaoS Master Guru

GPU:
    3060 12GB
    Please, can someone elaborate?

Manufacturers website along with GPU report Base Clocks 1544 - Boost Clocks 1759. So far all fine.

Meanwhile when I run a game or even GPUZ render test, the Boost Clocks clearly report 1949Mhz. What gives? One only BIOS update there was for my GPU, but even before same thing I observed.

My question obviously, why it goes as high as 1949MHz? Under game load, GPU temps when exceed 40C, my Fans start spinning at 35 percent and temp goes down. That good my Cooler is. When I use Render Test, It goes as High as 60C but then Fans start spinning faster and there you have it, Temps again go down.

Should I worry for that High Clock? Never artifacts or something peculiar. Just wondering whilst none mentions as much as so High Clocks...

Does it happen only with my MSI Armor GPU or is it something usual? I mean, are there more GPUs out there that go above Boost Speeds unless Fans Spinning are insufficient?

Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
  2. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    I don't know why your boost speeds are going so high, but it sounds like it's not a problem especially with your temps. Mine boosts to around 2100mhz using EVGA Precision XOC.

3. NiColaoS

NiColaoS Master Guru

GPU:
    3060 12GB
    Once I flashed a BIOS that I thought was for my card. Still don't know to be precise if indeed was for my card. Something tells me it was for an extremely factory overclocked card but anyway.

One week ago re-flashed my own card's BIOS, supposedly latest version from TechPowerup. This time did excessive research, but still the clocks go as high. Temps are not the problem. I have the MSI Armor and the most I've seen my card was 60C in which time the fans spinning at 50 percent and still the temp went down while generally never exceeded 62-64C under GPU Stress Test and of of course under gaming. Now my card's fan start spinning at 50C if I'm non mistaken at 35 percent. If clocks weren't as high, my cards work seamlessly. Even as high, still card works like a charm.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
  4. Caesar

Caesar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Gaming X

;) Just use your system as usual.....

5. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    the advertised boost clock is the average or middle of the potential table of boost clocks.

6. NiColaoS

NiColaoS Master Guru

GPU:
    3060 12GB
    So, it's normal, right? Since the cooler of my GPU is quite good and keeps the card extremely cold, it's OK to go as high as 1949Mhz, right? So if for some reason gets too hot, the clocks with slow down...

Thank you, matey. I was scared for a while.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
  7. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    It's normal. Cards will boost beyond rated clock speeds when temperatures are low.

8. Lucifer

Lucifer Guest

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 2060S
    that's normal, nvidia cards in game are boosting more than their rated specs. But they also start to throttle once the temperature's rising.
    this is the rated specs of my card
    https://i.**********/zXySt355/1060.jpg

boost in a "light" game :
    https://i.**********/nrjjkjmP/1060-TR.jpg

boost in more "taxing" game :
    https://i.**********/HLYrNP55/1060-ROTR.jpg

9. NiColaoS

NiColaoS Master Guru

GPU:
    3060 12GB
    Truly from my bottom of my heart, thank you all. I was indeed scared. Now not only I'm not, but I'm happy, too.

+200Mhz extra and beyond the rated boost clocks it's a nice addition.

Lucifer and jbscotchman like this.