Article: Radeon Adrenalin 2019 Edition Driver Overview

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 13, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    warlord likes this.
  2. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    custom fan curve + rudimentary memory timings control
    pretty neat

3. Jumbik

Jumbik Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 64 N+
    "Radeon Wattman and chill see some minor updates, we'll leave that as is as really nobody really is using it?"

Dude wtf are you smoking? Nobody is using them? WTH?

One click overclocking and one click automatic under volting is not worth mentioning?

4. Aniboom

Aniboom Member Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX 6950 XT
    Can't wait to get home and have a go with it on my 480.

5. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    I am still editing a few things. Mind your tone please. BTW Adrenalin 2019 currently only supports RX Vega cards for automatic overclocking or undervolting.

6. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Here we go again... :rolleyes:

Not here on 290.
    No changes within Wattman whatsoever, compared to the old drivers. As far as I can see...

On a different note that not-too-annoying bug which used to change the default Audio device is now gone. So that's good.

7. Jumbik

Jumbik Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 64 N+
    I'm sorry for the temper. I find it as the one of the best features in the package because Vega cards are so much better when Wattman is considered for additional tuning. Making it easy for new buyers is huge.

Also the fact, that you do not have to use any 3rd party tool to either modify or monitor your GPU is so good. It has its own overlay too. What else to ask for.

8. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    Yes, I've found much to my pleasant surprise, that in recent drivers Wattman support is excellent--settings aren't being dropped, etc. These drivers should make it even better. The "Apply," and"save" options work really well, I've found. Pretty much has eliminated my need for third-party software--which actually doesn't work all that well with Wattman. With latest drivers (18.12.1.1), for instance, I cannot use Afterburner (latest beta) at all--even if I use the software to mirror only the default settings--I experience mysterious game crashes that completely disappear, but only if I uninstall Afterburner completely. That's the bizarre thing--even if AB is installed but not run at startup and not manually run from WIndows--I still get these inexplicable game crashes (in every game I've run with AB/RT installed, 2-4 games I'd say) that stop completely as soon as I have uninstalled AB and Riva T. Only thing I have concluded is that Afterburner and/or Riva T. is conflicting with Wattman and/or possibly the overlay in ways the Adrenalins don't really like at all. I tested this pretty exhaustively after the last AB beta release. HH doesn't report similar problems with AB/RT--so I'm not sure what is happening there. Can't recall of HH was using AMD with his testing results, however.

Going to install these now!...;)

9. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    VSR not working for my 21:9 monitor. Nice one AMD.

EDIT: Confirmed by AMD, only RX series support VSR for Ultra Wide configurations. R9 are not supported. GG.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
  10. Aniboom

Aniboom Member Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX 6950 XT
    Reading through the release notes from the AMD page and besides some few % increase in performance compared to 18.2.1 for RX Vega 64 on various titles and resolutions, there's also:

• Radeon WattMan is now supported in Radeon Overlay allowing for in-game power and performance optimizations.

Damn, really wanna get home now and bench the per-driver performance and test some OC while in overlay. :D

11. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    No memory overclocking supported on my Fury - very disappointed :( (in fact, there are no additional controls at all from previous versions of wattman for the Fury).

12. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Same as usual I guess, start with the latest GPU's and newest functions these use and gradually backport to older hardware over time as possible. Which well it's a bit mixed what's software locked and what's hardware restricted but I do hope they can support most of the GCN series sooner rather than later. :)

And with less issues than the OverDriver6 -> OverDriveX API update when Wattman was introduced.

One of the AMD Reddit users in Vanguard (The beta program of sorts.) also noted crashes are not entirely unexpected when using the auto overclock functionality as the GPU is finding the max stable values but something to note if using it.
    And learning the fan curve and new settings is going to take some time, not quite as flexible as Rivatuner but a good first implementation.

EDIT: Afterburner, Rivatuner is the little overlay companion program and some other features but not the core overclock software of the two. :)

Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
  13. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Looks great, bravo AMD.

BlackZero likes this.
  14. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

Well, just checked a few games, and I am seeing a free 10% boost!

Don't think I'll ever need to upgrade at this rate. :D

15. Dimitrios1983

Dimitrios1983 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX580
    Why doesn't anyone mention the RX560 4GB card ever on this site? It's almost like it's a sin to speak of that card. Is it really that bad because I own the better generation one that doesn't rely on power strictly from the motherboard and can be overclocked pretty well and has all ICU's or whatever it is. I can play most games on high settings on 1080P with drivers 17.10.1 yes old drivers but runs very well.

16. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    Automatic overclocking and undervolting only works with Vega!? Another pointless driver release then? Thanks for nothing AMD and happy holidays!

It was the feature I was looking forward to the most, but now I've to remove the DOA driver with DDU and reinstall the graphics (only) driver.

Hopefully Polaris will get some love next year, but who knows how long it will take, 19.1, 19.2, 19.3 or in time for April Fool's Day?

17. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    It is useless feature for gurus anyway. By now, everyone can tweak Polaris in any way they desire. Hell, even average miner did that over a year ago.

RzrTrek likes this.
  18. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    So much crying in here. Jesus.

19. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    So, is there any reason to install these drivers for an RX400 series card?

20. Srsbsns

Srsbsns Member Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega 64 Liquid
    This is going to be pretty neat to mess around with on my Vega 64 Liquid. So glad I snatched this card up. Its been fantastic.