The RTX Titan Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Pete J, Dec 13, 2018.

1. Pete J

Pete J Master Guru

GPU:
    Some of those as well
    Someone has to start this thread!

I don't plan to get one myself but a variety of factors could change that. For one, on one of my two gaming rigs, I play at a resolution of 7960x1600 and have found that SLI can be a little weird for surround gaming nowadays, so am interested in obtaining the single most powerful GPU I can. The 1080 Ti I currently have installed plays all the games I want to play at reasonable frame rates bar one, and the performance increase could tip it.

Anyways, I would really like to know if any members here have plans to get one on launch, and would love to see performance at 4K, or even 8K as I'm also thinking of getting the lovely Dell 8K monitor at some point and forgoing surround gaming. I imagine @Kaapstad and @venturi may be eyeing up a couple...or more!

2. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4080 FE
    Nah, bitten once, twice shy.

chispy and Deleted member 213629 like this.
  3. Hulk12

Hulk12 Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 4090 :D
    NVIDIA Titan RTX has the BAD ideal for gaming but good ideal for AI researchers and data scientists.
    95%~98% of people gaming can't buy any Titan RTX due to be too high expensive.

We remember Titan RTX is same price to nVIDIA Quadro FX 4000 (top end workstation card in 2004 and same performance to nVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra). ;)

This thread is much, much less important than non-Titan (GTX 1080, RTX 2080...) threads lol

chispy likes this.
  4. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

If price of RTX Titan has been in £1200-£1500 range I would get one for sure, but sorry for £2500 I simply pass

24GB is nice framebuffer for rendering, because as now 11-12GB is for me bit limiting and what I have seen NVLink does work in Octane where you doubling VRAM framebuffer with two same GPUs

I know few guys who will be getting RTX Titan, they're mostly be using them for rendering etc

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

chispy likes this.

5. Pete J

Pete J Master Guru

GPU:
    Some of those as well
    Yeah. We know. Some people will still be able to afford it though for gaming purposes, or will use it for gaming when not doing serious stuff.
    Well, if they do, please post links to their results!

Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
  6. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    The titan RTX has no reason for existing, it is inferior to the Titan V.

chispy likes this.
  7. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    No it is superior to titan v except double precision fp64. If you don't use this feature titan v is a shame in comparison.

chispy and Hulk12 like this.
  8. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    No, its not.

9. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Nop , not getting one , and i would never support that rape of a price video card for gaming even if at 8K. It's like telling nvidia that is ok to charge this outrageous amount of money for a video card to play games. If it was for AI neural professional work i understand , but even then it is way overpriced. Mind you i can buy 2 or more of them if i wish at any time but i refuse to support this greedy behaviour nvidia has been displaying for the last couple of years with the Titans and Founders Editions. Please send a message to nvidia that this is not ok to keep upping the prices every new generation of video cards , plain and simple vote smart , vote with your wallet !

10. Pete J

Pete J Master Guru

GPU:
    Some of those as well
    Ughhhhh.

Okay, let's try this again.

This thread is for people who are going to get the RTX Titan, or know where to get benchmarks in a range of programmes. Because, as an enthusiast, I'm curious.

We all know it's an expensive thing, but there are people who will be able to afford it regardless.

tensai28, The1 and BangTail like this.

11. Pete J

Pete J Master Guru

GPU:
    Some of those as well
    Ahah! Initial performance figures:

A mixed bag. Don't forget that drivers will be unoptimised too. Looking at 4K results and cherry picking a result, RotTR shows a 20% increase. Hopefully this'll roll out to updated drivers for other titles.

12. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Νο, it won't happen as you imagine..RTX2080Ti will also get the performance improvements.

chispy likes this.
  13. UnrealGaming

UnrealGaming Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
  14. venturi

venturi Master Guru

GPU:
    2x 4090 FE RTX

Actually I'm skipping this card.

I won't bore you with technical reasons why it is an inferior card (rtx) compared to the quadro or Titan V, but it is. Let me answer the next question honestly and satisfy both camps:

The Titan RTX is a better card for those folks with middle grade or well configured system. (One cpu, less than 128GB of ram and no plans on having more than 1 or 2 video cards). It is a better card for pure gaming and is better if the person is the type that does every windows upgrade and isn't old school privacy concerns, etc) and does not do any strange configurations or anything other than gaming at LESS than 4K resolutions - and does not turn on max eye candy at that resolution. Its for the kind of person that uses the GeForce experience and does very little "tweaking". For that person the RTX series is better than the Titan V. The titan V has features and power that person would never turn on (sorta like only having the valet key to a car).

The titan V is a better card if you plan on being at 4k with full eye candy. It is better for rigs with 3 or 4 cards. It is better for machines that can "feed" the cards all they need. It is better for folks that actually setup in the bios of the board: cache on die, maximum payload, maximum read request, MMIOH base, MMIO High Size, MMCFG Base, early snoop, late snoop, home, numa zones, SR-IOV, etc. If you are that person THEN the titav V is a better card for you than the rtx.

The titan V is WASTED on a system where none of the other important configs are not done. The titain V is a prosumer card.

I have Titan V CEO 32Gb and Titan V Cards, etc so I only have real hardware and software to base my observations on.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2018
    Pete J, Hulk12, chispy and 1 other person like this.
  15. Pete J

Pete J Master Guru

GPU:
    Some of those as well
    Another review:

Very jealous! Let me know if/when you intend to get rid of it as I'd love to play with one!

16. venturi

venturi Master Guru

GPU:
    2x 4090 FE RTX
    I have done some upgrading since the prototype build

https://i.**********/rd4HmZCj/IMG-8196.jpg

I tried 4 rtx titans, but on my rig the titan v was a better performer. The T-rex is a great card, I just like the titan v better.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
    The1, Pete J and jura11 like this.
  17. jonfitch

jonfitch Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Standard Titan V I agree as it's 5120 CUDA cores are choked by only 96 ROPs in FP32.

V100 (Titan V CEO Edition) is WAY faster than RTX Titan in FP32 though, 128 ROPS and the 1TB/s memory bandwidth remove all the bottlenecks.

Sadly it will set you back $4000 used with no warranty...