NVidia Anti-Aliasing Guide (updated)

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Cyberdyne, Jan 29, 2012.

1. GuyFawkesGaming

GuyFawkesGaming Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 4GB
    I have good news and bad news. The good news is I found that for Red Orchestra 2 and Chivalry: Medieval Warfare adding a "4" as the 3rd digit in the "0x080000C1" flag that both games use allows reshade to work properly on these games with driver AA. The bad news is that forcing a boarderless fullscreen window with the AA enabled causes the pre-baked shadows in both games to turn green. Note that the issue is unrelated to reshade as I tested without and got the same result on both games; it only happens with both boarderless fullscreen window and SGSSAA enabled. Any solutions?

2. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Try the AA fix maybe? Not sure.

I found out AA for the emulator PPSSPP in it's DX9 mode. However no matter what you really seem to do, the frame pacing sucks (in all rendering backends)and the input lag is really high compared to real hardware. So there is always persistent stuttering in 30FPS games and there is no real fullscreen exclusive mode so no forcing outside Vsync and no Vsync in Windows 7 without Aero. Framelimiting fixes some of the frame pacing but the stutter is still persistent.
    Running the RetroArch core is super buggy, can't get same game to load without crashing. And it activates texture upsampling when I don't want it to.

Regardless.

0x08401243 - MSAA,TrSSAA,SGSSAA
    No AA http://u.cubeupload.com/MrBonk/PPSSPPWindows6420181.png
    8xSGSSAA http://u.cubeupload.com/MrBonk/a94PPSSPPWindows6420181.png

AA even works when you are rendering at native 480x272 resolution. And it actually doesn't look bad upscaled with integer scaling.

3. GuyFawkesGaming

GuyFawkesGaming Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 4GB
    Tried it didn't work. I can upload pictures so you can see what I mean. It's also worth noting that both games not only use the same AA flag but also both run on UE3.

4. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Yeah man, i'm not sure what could fix that. Do you have to use borderless? Maybe try forcing borderless with a third party utility instead of natively from the game and maybe it will behave differently.

5. borktorias

borktorias Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 Ti
    Been having trouble getting forced aa settings to work with max payne 2, tried the bits in the OP and every other switch around but still doesnt have any visible change in iq or vram usage on my system.

6. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    By default Max Payne shouldn't require any bits I think since it's a DX8 game. You can try wrapping it to DX9 first. The post in the list is for HSAA (EX: 16xS which is 2x2 + 4xMSAA)
    So depending on what you are trying to force it may not be doing anything.

Also: Max Payne 2 has 2 profiles in the driver. The one with the full title "Fall of Max Payne" is for the demo it looks like.

Testing the game myself vanilla from steam with no wrappers or fan patches or anything, SGSSAA seems to work just fine.
    http://www.screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/124130

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
  7. GuyFawkesGaming

GuyFawkesGaming Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 4GB
    Ironically that's exactly how I force Boarderless in Red Orchestra 2 as it doesn't include support builtin. I use GeDoSaTo Tool but issue persists regardless. Here's pics.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I'm pretty sure you can guess which pics have AA+boarderless.

8. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Links seem broken. But perhaps that is the reason why the issue exists.
    Are there other tools you can use besides GeDoSaTO and does it happen in just regular windowed mode?

9. Guzz

Guzz Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    "0x08000000" bit cause glitches in borderless window, so don't use it.
    Use a custom resolution 1680x1048 instead of 1680x1050 for UE3 based games to get AA working without a "0x08000000" bit.

10. GuyFawkesGaming

GuyFawkesGaming Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 4GB
    Yeah, just realized the images google drive's being a real pita atm. Doesn't happen in windowed mode.
    Works for Chivalry but makes some menu items disappear in Red Orchestra 2; settings menu and pre-game loadout selection specifically, buttons are there and functional just invisible. Also Chivalry tends to get the taskbar to overlap it's viewing area with a custom resolution.

11. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
  12. KainXVIII

KainXVIII Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Anything for Pathologic Classic HD (dx9)? Since game does not support 4k DSR and only have FXAA..

13. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Yeah sure.
    0x00400043
    MSAA,TrSSAA

0x004000C5
    SGSSAA
    Conflicts with Post Processing cause blurring. Bloom and DoF but mostly bloom. Disabling both brings back a ton of performance overhead and removes all blurring issues.
    C5 skips processing hud. Doesn't affect blurring.

0x004000C1
    OGSSAA
    No blurring issues due to PP here. PP however does cause large performance issues with super high values. (4x4 at 1080p for me with all PP enabled minuse FXAA, was about 30FPS ish range. Turning everything off brought it up to 100-120FPS. Enabling FXAA for shits and giggles caused a 20-30FPS Drop just by itself.)

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
    KainXVIII likes this.
  14. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    SWTOR bits don't work anymore, it totally messes with the meshes and textures of the game.
    I had missing floors and textures saying something with MISSING in huge letters.

Also a weird colored fat line around the edges of the screen.

Bit disappointed, i don't like using DSR with these games as it blurs the hotbars even when you scale them bigger.

15. GuyFawkesGaming

GuyFawkesGaming Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 4GB
    Sorry for taking so long to reply. Basically GeDoSaTo is the only tool I've ever been able to successfully use on UE3 games (RO2 included) to force a borderless window. Kind of given up at this point.
    I do have good news though; I was looking for a aa bit for Fallout NV and found 0x0000F0C1 in this guide. Some of the values overlap the ones in your list but others, like Half Life 2 and Homefront, have completely different values. Can only vouch for the Fallout NV one as working as it's the only on I've tested.

16. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Slightly off-topic question, however, I have one game app which just refuses to remove my mouse when it's in fullscreen mode off the screen. Is there any flag responsible for this? Or perhaps some tool which can toggle mouse visibility on/off with a hotkey?

17. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    That thread is outdated. The F isn't really necessary.
    https://www.forum-3dcenter.org/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=10157672&postcount=5669 Is the most recent reference I would use.
    https://www.forum-3dcenter.org/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=10157672&postcount=5669
    I've used this in the past without issues.
    It's possible a game update broke it. I have no way of testing this unfortunately.
    If the game still supports MSAA you can enhance it instead. May not look as good as forcing but better than nothing. (Use a little negative LOD bias or sharpen the game on top)

18. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
  19. borktorias

borktorias Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 Ti
    In Dragon Age 2 (DX9), forcing AA causes parts of the options menu to become invisible with no bits, 0x084012C1, and C5. Is there specific bits I could use to mitigate this?

20. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    An update to this. I wonder if it might be OS specific. I updated my drivers and nothing seemed amiss on my 980.
    Using an RTX 2080 produces the same results on W7
    http://www.screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/127158
    Compared to MSAA
    http://www.screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/127159