Vega II Logo image Trademark filed by AMD

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 10, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    AMD has filed a trademark request for a new logo, you can guess what it is right? Vega II. The new logo is based on the old one with a subtle two extra stripes harbored in that logo....

Vega II Logo image Trademark filed by AMD

2. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Will Vega II actually be the high end consumer GPU while Navi stays midrange?

3. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Given the power consumption of 7nm Vega Instinct parts and their listed FP32 performance - that would be bad for AMD.

4. Picolete

Picolete Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Pulse 6800
    VII = 7 nm too

5. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

I sense exciting news to come. :D

6. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    Let us see, what they are able to deliver, as an improved Vega. I will give them a second chance before building a new rig, with green gpu inside. I can wait.

7. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Yeah, that's the problem. Instinct MI60 is 300w and peaks at 14.7tflops. 2080Ti is basically the same on 16/12nm.

8. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    I tend to agree this is not what AMD has planned. However Vega II's power usage should be down by almost 1/2 so it will be possible. The MI60 is a 300 watt card which is about the same power draw as the 2080 Ti.

9. zero_cool

zero_cool Guest

GPU:
    Two amd fury X
    Guys , I guess you don't know Roman numerals that much...huh?

10. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Yeah - half at the same frequency. But that's kind of my point - if their next "high end" part is just a Vega 64 at lower power usage it's not that great. I mean it might capture the midrange market but it's not like im downgrading to it. And at higher frequencies we already know the result of that. MI60 is Vega at 7nm. I don't think "Vega II" is going to bring massive power gains to the Vega architecture otherwise why even use Vega name.

I think it makes more sense that Vega II will just blanket cover all the 7nm Vega parts and Navi will bring some improvements that will likely put it above the Vega II stack.

Where in this thread does anyone give the indication that they don't know what roman numerals mean? lol..

11. zero_cool

zero_cool Guest

GPU:
    Two amd fury X
    Big "V" (for Vega, obviously) and the "II" at the side are Roman numerals. Combining them makes ("VII"), which is an Arabic numeral "7". This is not VEGA II as in VEGA 2 this is vega 7NM.. As for your question that people don't know what roman number mean? Look at the Topic Title , it is self-explanatory. And please , dont end your comment with "lol" it is imbecilic and childish..

Silva likes this.
  12. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    So it's not that people don't know what roman numerals mean, it's that people can't decipher AMD's shitty logo design?

Order_66 likes this.
  13. zero_cool

zero_cool Guest

GPU:
    Two amd fury X
    Actually the logo is just fine (even though it is a good Slav Adidas meme) , the logo is not complicated , the sheer ignorance of people that don't have a basic understanding of non Arabic numbers... well that is a whole different topic.

14. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    We do?

If it has at least 1900 -2000mhz and let's say 1250-1500mhz on hbm2 it could easily compete with 1080ti and even 2080ti for that matter.

I personally would rather see it do 1600-1700mhz and 6192cores and 96rops. Or what ever formula adds for 96rops, idk atm, but I did the math one time and it's around 6k cores..

tunejunky likes this.
  15. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I mean kind of - Instinct MI60 is 7nm Vega. 1800Mhz @ 300w - 14.7Tflops - 331mm2.

I guess they could trade HBM2 stacks for power headroom but it's not getting much better than this.

16. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    calm down boys. registering a TM doesn't (by itself) mean anything. there's literally a library full of unused/retired TM's at the Dep't. of Commerce.

but the silver lining is this is not happening in a vacuum. and big, big news is less than a month away - for both team Red and Green.

Picolete likes this.
  17. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    Not again *facepalm*
    I'll be very disappointed if this is all AMD has to offer. Why not do Polaris, again, but at 7nm wile at it? Probably would yield better results over the DOA RX590.
    HBM2 is just an awful excuse to have energy efficient memory so you could push the crap out of the GPU.

warlord likes this.
  18. Misha Engel

Misha Engel Guest

GPU:
    GTX970
  19. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black

Please, you act like vega was a failure and it was not.

Just epeen extremeist think it was. But ill say it again, most will still hate on AMD even if they match the 2080ti or beat it.

Order_66, carnivore and G13Homi like this.
  20. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Idk man, define "failure" - it was a bigger chip, the top end was liquid cooled, it used more power and performed worse than the 1080Ti. Obviously AMD can just counter that by pricing it lower, which it did, which will result in sales but that's at the expense of AMD's margin. That's not to mention that several features on the card were never even enabled and/or limited to professional workloads yet were initially advertised to improve gaming performance. The crypto boom probably help salvage it but overall I don't think the card was particularly well received. Typically AMD can compete in a few different areas but with Vega it was only able to compete in cost and even there it wasn't like a spectacularly great deal.

Silva, yasamoka and warlord like this.