Mozilla not happy about Microsoft moving to Chromium project

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 10, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Glottiz

Glottiz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 3080 OC
    Happy Firefox user here for about 14 years. I tried Chrome a couple of times but never liked it, and more recently privacy is becoming a growing concern with Chrome which deterred me from Chrome completely.

I agree with Mozilla CEO, he is of course 100% correct but no one will do anything about it.

Order_66, HonoredShadow and rl66 like this.
  3. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    chromium is different than chrome and also i think microsoft wants to adopt chromium in order to do the same privacy game.
    I like firefox and i like chrome, and i try to less care about my browsing privacy since everything is then killed by normal things like cookies and advertisements and javascript and anonymous tracking software for web products.

At least they are both open source, thing that MS never did with the browser.
    If there are privacy concerns about privacy in CHROMIUM, pull down the source, strip the bad parts, and compile your own.

4. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Firefox not happy with Chrome coming pre-installed? Damn, what a shame.

As someone who has to mess a lot with HTML5, I would gladly see browsers running on similar engine, or at least follow the same rules.
    It is pain in the ass to develop a rather specific and complex web-site or browser tools that supports most browsers without issues.
    M$ perhaps finally realized nobody wants to code or use half-broken browser (EDGE).

Chrome and Safari are playing well together by being based on the same engine. Firefox on the other hand, got it own.
    I am not surprised developers cutting Firefox when it comes to rather complicated websites that pushes the limits of HTML5.

As developer, I hate to deal with Firefox and fix the code that not working on it. As a consumer, I am glad we have Firefox as a choice.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
    JonasBeckman and Cave Waverider like this.

5. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Honestly, what difference does it make? Most people don't even care what browser they're using, even on a PC...
    Was a big fan of FF until I believe 52, suddenly a lot of streaming stuff didn't work, no info given why unless you dug deep... never been a fan of chrome or IE or Edge for that matter. I didn't try chromium but I believe I won't be jumping and singing because of it...

All in all, it's just companies competing, little gain or improvement for users anyway.

6. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Suddenly people care about Edge :p

7. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    There is Chrome and Chromium...
    You can mod and compile your own clean Chromium when Chrome is full of Google crap ( euphemisme, lol).
    Same company at the end but different product, you can even do an anti-Google Chromium based browser.

The thing that make Chromium in quasi all browser is that it is fast (but not the fastest Edge is still faster, but less fun) and really easy to integrate in a browser project (while as an exemple, Mozilla is more complex at the same exercice).

Exept that, internet change a lot now, after years of mondialisation it fracturate by geographic zone more and more each day.

8. bombardier

bombardier Master Guru

GPU:
    4090 Phantom
    Love Firefox!

9. SHS

SHS Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    Funny I can say the same thing about Firefox, I prefer IE or Edge but on Linux I prefer Chrome heck even on my iOS I still used Chrome even knowing that Edge was just been made available

10. mgilbert

mgilbert Member

GPU:
    16 GB DDR3
    I've tried Firefox countless times over the years, including a couple of times in the last few months, and every single time, within minutes, I've run across a website that does not work correctly, or renders so badly as to make the site unusable. I'm sorry, Firefox. Get your act together and I'll use your browser.

11. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    Well MDN is thw facto reference for browser code and apis. And firefox and chrome have basically no differences. And complicated html5 web app are often transpiled to plain machine generated JS. How can it happen that is broken on firefox?

My firefox is broken experience is very narrowly limited in svg images painting on canvas and little else, while often chrome has a broken canvas api because of the latest code optimizations.

Firefox is often the browser that work imho, chrome the one you use for developing.

12. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    I mostly mentioning CSS and there some browser depended APIs like:
    For basic HTML and JS, jquery takes care of most issues.

13. Asgardi

Asgardi Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti OC
    Yep, much of the issues are in the developers themselves. Web standards are there to make sure all browsers work the same way and they very much do so. The problems start when devs use stuff which are not standardized yet or exist only in standard drafts (display: grid is a good recent example). It is quite trivial to find out if a feature is implemented by all browsers and if not by simply browsing MDN (https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/CSS/grid) or W3Schools (https://www.w3schools.com/css/css_grid.asp). Not to mention that good dev tools put this information basically on your face while typing the code...

14. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Eh here's how I see it.

Mozilla isn't happy that Microsoft is going to use Chromium as a base, and actually have competition while there's Chrome.

Basically, their user base might shrink.

warlord likes this.
  15. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    As much as I'd like to say Mozilla is just butthurt, they do have a valid point. Although I don't dislike Chrome[ium] (I'm using Chromium right now), Firefox could use the help of a larger corporation. Firefox has the potential to be a better browser but they don't have the resources to catch up. I'd say right now, the only major downside to Firefox is the poor support for hardware acceleration.

Not sure how long you've been a web developer but if I were you, I'd be thankful how easy you have it today (relatively speaking). Back when IE was still relevant and when smartphones were first starting to get popular, that's when web devs really had a hard job.
    Although I totally understand this point, it's a little weird - only a few years ago, Firefox was the most capable and Chrome was the browser lacking features and had rendering issues.

Chromium has already been out-pacing Firefox and has a larger userbase. For MS to do a new browser based on Chromium puts it in an even greater lead than it already is.

HonoredShadow, sverek and vbetts like this.

16. JOHN30011887

JOHN30011887 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4070Ti
    Lol, boohoo to firefox, never cared for there browser, prefer and will always use Opera

17. DLD

DLD Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1060 6GB
    Boohoo, boohuh, but Opera died long time ago. I remember how it USED to be a good, fast and non-intrusive browser... Up to, like, version 5.0 (10 years ago, or so). Lately, it has become a terrible piece of bloatware.

alanm and Order_66 like this.
  18. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    I prefer Firefox and use it daily as my main web browser, but I think they're just salty because Microsoft chose Chromium.

19. slyphnier

slyphnier Guest

GPU:
    GTX1070
    well in current internet world, people just pick what "easiest+smoothest" for them
    just realize why u pick ur current browser? simply because it work-best for u right ?

if firefox create better browser for most people, they will jump in...

but rivaling google isnt easy ... android with default chrome browser is like windows - IE
    that alone enough to survive quite time like IE

but then with chrome, google succesful creating something that most people dont hate ... not like IE
    like easy sync between smartphone to pc is really convinient ... although firefox have such addons
    but before using firefox, they already got and use chrome, and as for most people, they wont see any difference between 2 browser... they will use what they got in first place

i myself been switch various browser, firefox-chrome and other custom-build-browser
    still main on firefox for several reasons... in past firefox addons really much better than chrome, but now both got same addons, like playstore & apps-store

20. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    People pick the path of least resistance. That doesn't mean they pick the easiest, smoothest, or best choice. Internet Explorer is a solid example of this - it survived far longer than it should have, simply because it came with Windows and had a very generic name that was easy to understand.
    Firefox isn't behind Chrome because it's inferior, it's because Chrome has a multi-billion dollar corporation behind it, and itss engine appeals to others like Apple and MS. Chrome is also pre-packaged with a bunch of other programs, and is sometimes advertised when browsing Google. All of this led up to its success.
    Considering how tiny Mozilla is and the lack of resources to really get Firefox out there, it's actually pretty amazing Firefox can even compete at all.