AMD NAVI would see three video card models, $249 RX 3080 close to RTX 2070

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 6, 2018.

1. Jayp

Jayp Member Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti
    All I am saying is the only significant case where AMD broke away from Nvidia in fairly recent times is the 200/300 series. The 600 series Nvidia held very strong over time against the 7000 series AMD making them both a good value over time. The fury X and 980 Ti have both held up well over time. The 780/780 Ti are the main Nvidia cards where they didn't do well with time. Most other Nvidia products improve just as AMD does with driver maturity its pretty normal. I have nothing against AMD just the notion that one can expect them to get much better with time aka "fine wine". When I buy a product I want it to perform from day one until I get rid of it.

pharma likes this.
  2. Jayp

Jayp Member Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti
    Exactly!

3. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    You should really watch some more benchmarks before you speak. HD 7000 has left GTX600 in the dust. Steve from HU did a run of Hitman 2 on some older GPU's said 7970 is 20% faster than gtx680 at this point. 290/290X did the same with 780/ti. Then there was a 390/390X (a rebrand lol) that did the same with gtx970/980. The 980ti did a hold up againt Fury X tho and thats about it. Vega 56/64 are already faster than 1070/1080.

Nivdia focusing on RTX what you think it will happen with GTX series now? 2070 is beating the 1080 in most games now. You better buy your RTX cards lads.

carnivore, Dragondale13 and BlackZero like this.
  4. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Okay guys I'm going to throw this out there, not even AMD is sure what the final performance of the upcoming Navi products will be, and yes, I know that for a fact.

The $250 price to be close to the RTX 2070 makes no sense.

Question for Hilbert: I thought there was some problem with AdoredTV? What was it and what changed?

5. UnrealGaming

UnrealGaming Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    There's been talk this entire year almost about a 250$ Navi GPU that offers GTX 1080 performance. And a mid range card using a completely new micro architecture offering an equivalent performance to a 3 year old high end gpu is pretty normal i'd say. Ofc we can't be sure about rumors, but if it was true, it wouldn't be that weird at all.

AMD's inability to compete at the high end for so long has allowed Nvidia to push the pricing to ridiculous levels and skewed everyone's perspective.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
  6. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    Ooh, insider information? It makes sense. AMD most likely work on clock speeds and pricing until as late as possible.

For my first 9 or 10 years of PC building, staying decidedly in the mid range, I always spent $220 every 2 years for a new GPU and had great performance each time. I only recently broke my rule when I bought my EVGA 1080TI FTW3 for $600, but it was kind of necessary due to the fact that I got a 4k screen.

7. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xt
    If true I will certainly get a 3080, will have to start upgrading CPU as well because it will be a bottleneck..

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
  8. Petr V

Petr V Master Guru

GPU:
    Gtx over 9000
    Nvidia lives in their own reality.

9. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
  10. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    "If this report is true, Navi will release in Q2-Q3 of 2019...."

Too bad :( By then Nv will have gotten their ass in gear to counter it with their own 7nm. Including I'll bet some GTX models to bring them down to similar price points as Navi. Aside from 7nm RTX for the top end range. Was hoping AMD could do this in 1st quarter 2019. But Q2-Q3 leaves Nvidia with plenty of time to do a lot.

Maddness likes this.

11. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

Maddness likes this.
  12. Dragondale13

Dragondale13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 AMP! • H75
    Very good analysis.Reason I'm switching to AMD CPU/GPU, 360 rad on everything next upgrade, maybe 2 years from now.Won't go RTX.

13. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    This is just pure fantasy anyway. They just released a couple weeks ago the RX590 at 290$ performing below the GTX1070.

And by some miracle they'll offer RTX2070 performance at 250$ in 4 months?
    Wait, release date is 1st April also?

sammarbella, pharma and BangTail like this.
  14. Killian38

Killian38 Guest

GPU:
    Looks just fine to me. AMD is doing exactly what it needs to do in order to take back 80% of the GPU market. Nvid can have the stupid range.

15. Killian38

Killian38 Guest

GPU:
    It's all good IMO when the one doing it has a better product.

16. george1976

george1976 Guest

GPU:
    Radeon R9290
    You are spreading bullcrap with a big fan, I also thought he is AMD biased but he isn't. You just need to watch all his videos including those where his pointing fingers at amd for the vega semifailure, not only the ones you are comfortable with, and they suit your opinion.
    The only thing that the guy is, is proconsumer and antimonopoly.
    AND one big thing: he cannot afford to fail, not even with his leaks, he is not a huge youtuber and that's why I believe he slept on that info for a few nights and decided it is going to happen and then uploaded the video.

Arbie likes this.
  17. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    In the other thread you said Vega wasn't a failure at all.. lol

And you say he can't afford to fail even with his leaks but his leaks about Pascal/Vega/Volta/etc have been rife with numerous errors.

18. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Well, he got Turing right. And in a spectacular way. He was the first to say it will be named RTX. That raised his cred quite a bit, whether rightly or wrongly. But yeah, he's an unabshed fan of AMD and seems almost on a crusade vs Intel and Nvidia.

19. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    it has a lot to do with the amount of ram the 680 was only 2g yes they had 4g also later and the 780 3g to the 4g on the 290's
    I had all those cards cf/sli at launch 680 was the bomb for clocks and messing around with bios and hardmods (pretty cool) the 7970 were just ok.
    cf and single card 7970'sucked and for that matter 290's sucked hard for drivers for like 3 months after launch the wine aint so sweet at first but yeah a few years later they are the better card....id take my 970 3.5g over any of those.
    the 6xx and 7xx were fine at launch for the most part even in sli
    never had me no vegas thou

20. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    you spead his bs for him semi failure is where the others here can see what he did to you
    slower hotter/power use and more expensive that's not semi failure my man.
    call it for what it was an ill received launch not very good another amd gpu let down failure
    but its better now you say?cheaper now? who f'in cares a few years ago it was not.

you must be a total sheep I feel bad for you:(