How do i set my GTX 1060 to use 8 bit mode?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Question2, Dec 8, 2018.

1. Question2

Question2 Member

Not sure where to post this.

I have a brand new laptop, a clevo p650hp that came with a yellow tint to the monitor, a LG Display LP156WF6-SPK3. Tried color calibration/profiles with no luck, updating drivers, etc.

After a while of tinkering with it, I noticed that in settings -> display, win 10 would show that my GPU was set to 6 bit mode. This doesn't seem right. This happened for both the intel HD 630 and the GTX 1060.

I tried setting the laptop to discrete mode, which means it uses the GPU only, and after restart, win 10 showed that the "Microsoft display adapter" was set to 8 bit mode and the colors looked fine.

After a while though, the GPU drivers seemed to kick in, and win 10 showed that it was now using the GTX 1060 and it went back down to 6 bit mode. The yellow tint came back.

I tried checking nvidia control panel, and while there is a section to change the BPC, it only allows 6 bit, with no option for 8 bit.

Im not sure where the problem is, but at this moment it seems that for some reason, both the intel HD 630 and the GTX 1060 are using 6 bit mode instead of 8 bit mode, but when the basic Microsoft drivers are being used instead, it can display 8 bit mode.

How do I get the GTX 1060 to use 8 bit mode? My monitor definitely supports it.

Edit : I was able to get the Intel HD 630 to use 8 bit mode, but not the GTX 1060.

[​IMG]

So now i am running in hybrid mode, the intel hd 630 says its using 8 bit but I cant get the GPU to use 8 bit mode.

And when checking with GPU-Z, I noticed the GTX 1060 was always idle, even though nvidia control panel is set to use the GPU. Have two games open now, and it is still idle. So now the laptop wont use the GPU at all in hybrid mode.

Edit 2 : OK so now I can get the laptop to use the GPU in games in hybrid mode, but it wont run at max speed, even though it is set to "maximum performance" in nvidia control panel. I remember having this issue with my gtx 770m on another laptop and the only fix I found was to use a custom BIOS.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
  2. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
  3. Question2

Question2 Member

Strange, then why does the intel hd630 say 8 bit now?

And i guess im back to square one as to why my monitor has a yellow tint...

4. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    because the driver was coded by monkeys? Or it's dithering. Either way, the panel is only capable of 6bit color.

5. Question2

Question2 Member

Shouldnt the gtx 1060 have dithering support too?

6. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    not supported in driver on NV side. there's a whole thread on this.

7. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    It's not something you should have to worry about. To my knowledge, any 6 bit display dithers to 8 bit on the monitor itself.