Just Cause 4

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by WhiteLightning, Jun 11, 2018.

1. I've spent hundreds of hours with JC2, it was the best open world sandbox at the time.

I wanted to play a bit more of JC4 before I write anything, but I must admit there are some terrible "features".

1. First of all, tone mapping in this game is really weird. When there is no direct sunlight, it lets the game get very dark and it is occasionally really hard to spot enemies, especially at night. Considering what type of game it is, I find it kinda stupid. Absence of gamma/brightness slider doesn't help either :)
    2. Antialiasing. The only temporal AA in this game is the same old broken TSMAA they had in FC3. What is worse, is that they've added dithering on some alpha surfaces, some tree LODs, hair etc... This kind of dithering without proper TAA is really bad, bad decision.
    3. Water is really terrible under some lighting conditions and very low resolution of SSR surface doesnt really help it. Also, it even seems as if they used simple bilinear filter for SSR downsampling with no further processing, no additional blurring. Really ugly at times.

Overall, it is indeed slightly disappointing.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2018
    fluidz likes this.
  2. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Ah right, good, forgot that there were 2 studios.

Because high hopes for Rage 2.

3. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Ah, that explains why Mad Max was a much better game than Just Cause 3, not just the gameplay but also the visuals which were a lot more polished and impressive. It also explains why Just Cause 3 felt so different to Just Cause 2; I assumed they were made by the same development team. If the developers of Just Cause 1 and 2 are working on RAGE 2 then that bodes well for that game.

4. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Different publisher too, although Mad Max was under Warner Brothers and they're not exactly that great with the PC ports of the titles they've been publishing though it also has a lot to do with the studios doing said work. :)
    Rocksteady as I recall often outsourced for the Batman games as did Netherrealms for Mortal Kombat whereas Monolith (Shadow of Mordor and Shadow of War.) and Avalanche SE (Mad Max) did pretty good jobs for the PC versions of these.

Rage 2 would be published under Bethesda but they have the advantage here of having idSoftware working with them too and that should be interesting and the new media is already promising far as the shooting and stuff looks.

Singleton99 likes this.

5. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Yeah, the Stockholm team (the original studio, guys behind JC 1 and 2) are the ones working on RAGE 2.
    They shifted Just Cause to the new studio in New York to allow the original team some freedom in taking on new projects.

6. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    Debating if to buy it now, or wait till bugs gonna get fixed and get it on a special sale, hmm...

Currently just playing Tekken 7, Destiny 2 and Red Alert :)

7. I'd refund it if I could...

8. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I'd would honestly wait for it to be patched first before buying it as it really isn't in a good state right now and if you play with the mouse and keyboard then the menus may infuriate you just as much as the bugs and sub-par visuals.

moab600 likes this.
  9. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    Better wait then, quite a shame to release a game in an awful state like that.

10. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB

11. I'd appreciate less Easter Eggs and more polish...

[​IMG]

TR2N, jbscotchman and cerebus23 like this.
  12. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    What a mess, wow

13. millibyte

millibyte Maha Guru

GPU:
    Smoothbore125mm gun
    ^that's terrible. Steve cracks me up though.

14. LMAO - Achievement Hunter "Let's Play" Just Cause 4 - Tethering Balloons to people..../ 2:20 approx

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2018
  15. SameOldx2

SameOldx2 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070
    I'll wait until it's $5 on Steam.

Zenoth likes this.

16. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    graphics go backwards instead of going forward

17. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Wow, that's pretty bad considering my old 560Ti was able to play JC2 with high settings back then. I have JC3 but have only played about an hour because it's just not that fun and doesn't even look as good as part 2. Definitely won't be buying JC4 until its $5 on a Steam sale in the future.

18. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    Performance of the game are awful, and it looks very poor tbh, hope they'll fix it but i doubt that.

So far, i wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

19. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    Can't remap movement keys buggy menus no thanks.

20. TR2N

TR2N Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD
    That's what pi$$es me of with game developers of today.
    Cash cows, less coding knowledge.
    We are doomed.