Epic Games halts development of Unreal Tournament

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 5, 2018.

1. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Tencent taking a large stake in Epic Games makes more sense now, Tencent want to be just like Steam by leveraging the popularity of Fortnight.

2. FearFactory

FearFactory Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire RX470 4GB
    Yes, i have it on Steam, but it's still on beta, right..?

3. Sixtyfps

Sixtyfps Master Guru

GPU:
    Tuff 4080 non OC
    Its just another Epic fail

4. Præses

Præses Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX 6800XT
    Most games nowadays are ;)

anxious_f0x and fantaskarsef like this.

5. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    Of course they halted it. Tim dreamed about him being new Gabe, so when he woke up he decided he will make a "new Steam" and earn money by ripping off developers, like Steam does.

He will fail.

6. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    anxious_f0x, Keitosha and gx-x like this.
  7. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    Less than half life had, yet, Gabe decided that coding sucks and just selling other peoples code for a fee is far less work and far more profitable.

8. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Valve releases more code to linux repositories than all of half life games combined times 10. That's not to mention Artifact & DOTA updates + a large number of VR projects they contribute to + steam audio, etc.
    While they may not release as many games anymore the company is still pumping things out. Also Epic only plans on taking 12% revenue as opposed to Valve's 30% (now tiered thanks to Epic). So the benefits of launching this platform are already paying off for all game developers.

That's not to mention that the platform itself is worth something to developers - they handle hosting, multiplayer, friends systems, updates, refunds, support, etc. There is massive infrastructure required to support that.

9. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    Valve released code for linux that almost no one heard of. Dota and games AFTER they canceled half life ep3 are titles (IPs) they bought. Dota was a mod for Warcraft initially, and free, and done by person(s) that had nothing to do with Valve. I have nothing against that. Valve became like microsoft, they buy IPs if they want them and integrate them into Valve. I promise you that original Valve team, with Gabe, didn't code more than 20 hours in past 5 years :D
    I have nothing against that. They worked, and are still working hard on Steam. Epic to just go on in and get "only" 12% is...Well, we shall see. My money is on Epic fail within one year.

PS. Yes, POPULAR platform is worth a lot to developers. Epic store is not popular. It's worthless at this point.

10. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4090

11. xIcarus

xIcarus Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Gamerock
    I think it's more about the execution than about the game design.
    I personally quit playing it because I grew tired of the slow progress. The game was already 1 year in and they didn't even have some basic procreating textures on the maps because hurr durr we want it to be community driven hurr durr. Asking for your fanbase to build the game for you so you can later monetize is the most hilaridiculous thing I've heard in my life.

And once again, this is what happens with early access titles. Nobody wants them anymore, there were too many of them and now people have had enough. It's true that UT didn't try to rip you off, but it's still an early access title.
    On top of that, when's the last time they actually advertised something? They really didn't, they just talked about it on a few occasions a few years ago and that's it.

Honestly, Epic didn't give a damn about the game. That's why it's dead. Quake Champions, with all its major flaws like id not listening to its damn playerbase, is at least mildly successful. UT could have at least been the same, but Epic just couldn't be bothered to invest some time.

12. patteSatan

patteSatan Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 6700xt
    Best game ever, is "Unreal tournament"
    And I have all boxes, except the last one, and Quake is like....okay, I'm typing....don't mind me...
    Quake Champions is only successful for ppl selling bots.

13. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    R.I.P Unreal Tournament :/

14. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP

heres the thing, epic claims they have 200million people playing fortnite, obviously a large chunk of that is console, but even if pc is like 10% of that, thats 20million people that have the epic games launcher installed, and now the epic games store. It's a real threat, given the momentum of fortnite alone, it has gown 60% in the last 5months.

15. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    I heard good things about UT it's sad to see it go though. I am sure that Mods will pick up where Epic left off and continue to add to the game in someway.
    I heard about this and I do not think Epic will take down Steam because how big they have become in the past couple of years. No matter how much money Epic gives AAA devs. Also Steam gave a pay raise to AAA devs as well. They will just be competition for Steam nothing more. Also I doubt any AAA dev would go to Epic because of the good working relationship these devs have with Steam and Valve.

I agree a DRM free store would not kill Steam at all because of how many games are on Steam and how well established Steam is. The same thing goes with GOG they are well established as well. All Epic is going to be is competition nothing more nothing less. Also Epic will probably be Mircotransaction city.

16. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    I'd installed that EPIC app to download UT, guess what happened......I'd had three system crashes before realizing that perhpas it was causing the crashes. I uninstalled it and that seemed to have fixed it. No more crashes, unbelievable that that app caused a massive FUBAR of my system.

17. vonSternberg

vonSternberg Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 560D
    It looked like it would be a stillborn so I don't think we lost anything of value. Maybe if some company that's interested in actually making UT again picks it up I would be a little hyped, but Epic is obviously just looking to make as much money as possible and that means crap games.