AMD NAVI would see three video card models, $249 RX 3080 close to RTX 2070

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 6, 2018.

1. oxidized

oxidized Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6G
    Oh so steam reflects 100% the usage of the videocard you think? Don't fool yourself. Sales reflect that, not steam, which isn't something everyone use, especially in asia. Cards such as 1080-1080Ti take up to 10 to 15% of the sales, and that's based on logic. There's no doubt 1050 to 1070 take the biggest chunk of the market, but that's not 99 or 98% of it, otherwise 9 people out of 10 i ask would have that, and that doesn't happen.

2. Picolete

Picolete Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Pulse 6800

Yeah, the pricing doesn't seems right, at least not for the time of the supposed announcement

3. kings

kings Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti / RX 580
    It is important to compete in the high-end, for a matter of market perception. The brand who have the top performance products, is more likely to sell the rest of the range better!

That's why AMD is stuck on 20%~25% of market share, despite having good cards in the mid-range for a few years now! Competing only in the mid-range is not enough to gain meaningful market share.

So, i don't know why some people think that high-end is not important. If it's not important, why AMD don't get traction? And please, spare me the excuse that this happen because people are all Nvidia fanboys.

Maddness likes this.
  4. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    You are confusing what enthusiast owners in forums like here may own vs the larger market. Again, you have yet to back up your claims with links or stats, your mere logic or assumptions do not apply.

carnivore, Keitosha and Silva like this.

5. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Yes, that is true. Whoever leads in the top performing high end segment benefits from the trickle-down effect in sales. But the high end in itself remains a very low percentage of total card sales.

Maddness likes this.
  6. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT
    RX 3080 is the 580 replacement. It's about the same MSRP as the 580 was.
    If this news holds up, these will rake the mid-GPU sector.
    Price they are sold at may be a bit higher as we have always seen.

Silva likes this.
  7. oxidized

oxidized Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6G
    There's many reasons why, and nvidia's fanboyism isn't one, it never was, in any situation actually. Truth is most of the time they just made stuff even only slightly better, and people ofc tend to amplify that (sometimes it was deserved). Anyway i agree, the latest years AMD had (has) good cards in low to mid-range and nothing really valuable in the rest, and that costs sales across the board.

Yeah yeah and you're confusing steam usage as if it was sales percentages. 1080 and 1080Ti cover much more than 2% you can bet on that. And no i'm not basing that only off enthusiasts of forum, but people who actually play videogames.

8. NewTRUMP Order

NewTRUMP Order Master Guru

GPU:
    rtx 3080
    So this latest Navi info is a little too perfect and lined up for my tastes. It says nothing about ray tracing or Navi 10+ or Navi14. So here is a nibble from a June 2018 article.
    Navi should also be able to take advantage of ray-tracing – the shiny new animation technique that makes light and shadow look so impossibly realistic that you’d swear blind you couldn’t possibly be looking at a real life video game. The 7nm Vega chip with 32GB of HBM2 memory AMD showed off at Computex certainly can, so there’s no reason why Navi shouldn’t be able to as well.
    I believe AMD will bring a competitive product with ray tracing ability at pricing equivalent to the 1070-1080-1080ti series with power a little less or equal to than the lauded 2070-2080-2080ti over priced hot mess.
    The only caveat is you may have to wait till 2020 for those high end gpu releases. If they were going to put out only a 10-15% improvement of a gpu that would have been out already and been done with. Just wait a bit longer, you did for Nvidia, this is about to get interesting.

Maddness and tunejunky like this.
  9. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Again, you have offered nothing but your opinion with no stats or links to back up. You are just pulling numbers out of nowhere (10-15%) and saying this is fact. Opinions are not facts. The steam survey is the closest thing we have towards percentages of what HW PC gamers own. You want to ramble on with unsubstantiated opinions and numbers pulled out of nowhere, be my guest. Nothing more to say to you.

10. oxidized

oxidized Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6G
    And what did you offer? Steam charts? Seriously?

11. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Idk like obviously steam charts isn't 100% accurate but it does have a massive sample size, which is going to be more accurate then your "i feel like it's more" based on seemingly nothing.

AlmondMan, alanm, carnivore and 6 others like this.
  12. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    nVidia will skip 3xxx and go with 4xxx like they did with gtx280 to gtx480

BlackZero and fantaskarsef like this.
  13. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    The prices seem to be too low for the performance in question...

14. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Another steam hardware survey discussion... while I do not think that steam hardware survey shows the true, detailed situation (sales numbers would, but we don't get those), it shows a tendancy.
    Sure, the majority of gamers aims for what I'd call "1080p" cards, midrange cards, very much AMD's portfolio, or Nvidia's up to the xx70. But don't trust that steam hardware survey too much, you have to opt in to do it, and also, you might never know how many people have a GTX530 still running or a 1080TI that just choose to not participate, no special reason needed.

The truth is, my friends, we don't really know how big that share is if we don't get all the sales numbers, and even then we might never really knew if a card was bought to replace an older card, build a second PC, or do it's work in a mining rig that happens to run games 3 hours compared to 21 hours of mining each day...

All in all, I know with my 1080TI, and in my opinion anybody having a card that costs more than 350-400$ is using "enthusiast" hardware, making me not necessarily the target group for AMD's offerings, but that's exactly why their stuff doesn't make me anticipate it as much as say Nvidia's keynote in August. And AMD does a good job catering to the large market portion of gamers that don't want to / can't spend more than what a 590 or a 1070 for instance cost.

I just hope they use the revenue from that segment to at some point come back to the top, epic battles of Radeon VS RTX on the top of a lonely mountain surrounded by pissed off fire spewing dragons while in orbit a massive space battle wrecks havoc.

tunejunky and airbud7 like this.
  15. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    People have gotten too used to pay 1000 USD for gaming cards.
    Nvidia makes behemoth GPUs and charges premiums for them, the Navi GPU should be small and affordable at 7nm. I'm all in for lowering the price of performance and will support AMD on their quest for it. Couldn't get a RX570 due to miners and prices here don't really go down (still at 300€) so I'll be hopeful for new cards and higher performance at affordable prices.

16. Archvile82

Archvile82 Master Guru

GPU:
    ROG STRIX 4090 OC
    A youtuber reckons the prices shown are what the AIBs pay for the chips so add on $100-$150 for each sku then it seems more realistic.

Still these cards though okay for the segment their aimed for will be 1080p max settings for games released later next year especially if ps5 is released at the back end of next year. I also think depending on the contract they have with Sony you will not see these cards until or around ps5 is released.

All personal speculation of coursr but AMD should have had cards with this sort of performance at least 6 months to a year after 1080 cards launched (obviously they pushed resources to cpu side but still).

17. Picolete

Picolete Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Pulse 6800
    The main problem i have with Steam surveys is that i dont know if it's based on "PCs" or accounts, if it's based on accounts the asian market would make the survey less valid(many accounts on the same machine because of internet cafes)

18. NewTRUMP Order

NewTRUMP Order Master Guru

GPU:
    rtx 3080
    When you talk about market share it is in reference to units sold to distributors not how many are actually in someone's household. Are you aware that 55% of gamers pc/console use AMD gpu's, more than Nvidia and Intel combined? So AMD is no wounded duck in the gpu market.

19. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

That's what they did when the 3870 was released, and I'm sure we all remember the performance and price of that thing.

airbud7 likes this.
  20. oxidized

oxidized Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6G
    No not really, besides, he's been talking about 1080Ti only, while i've been talking about 1080 and 1080Ti range of performance, meant as high to high end, which includes at least Vega 64 too, but mostly 1080 and 1080Ti. That's why AMD needs something in that range, just like Vega64, but not as power hungry and not as expensive even if it's only due to mining.