Epic Games halts development of Unreal Tournament

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Well, it most definitely had a good run. Epic Games halted the development for Unreal Tournament. The latest iteration will be free and available in online game stores, but the developer will not upda...

Epic Games halts development of Unreal Tournament

2. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I feel like it's been halted since June last year.

I don't think it ever would have been successful - game design has moved on since 1999.. unless they were willing to make some major changes, it would just be a niche shooter played by a dozen or so hardcore fans and no one else.

Alessio1989 and schmidtbag like this.
  3. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Great. Put all your effort to Fortnite and leave in the dust one of the best game franchise of all time.

Unreal RIP 1998-2018.

xIcarus, sverek, Caesar and 1 other person like this.
  4. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    Microtransactions are way more profitable, that's why.

sverek and lucidus like this.

5. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    You can put microtransactions into UT simple enough. The problem was the design of the game. There are like 50 people on the planet that want to play an arena shooter in the style of UT and all 50 of those people are already gods at the game. The new player experience was atrocious and there is nothing you can do to fix all the issues outside of not designing a 90's arenashooter. In which case it's not UT.

I think the best case for saving that series is like combine the action arenashooter UT fast style with their cancelled paragon game somehow. It would be a total mess and nearly impossible to balance but I'd bet it be fun as hell.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  6. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    50 people, right...

if they made a serious approach it would have been a lot different, but instead they took a easy way and did it in some amateurish steps.

Add to that that crap unreal app/shop and you have a fail receipe, Good riddance. I asked to delete my persona and have no regrets. Not interested in fortnite bs one bit.

Also who in the right mind would want to be a alpha/beta tester for 1-2years.. I personally never, gave up on quake champions as well and it's in a far Far better state.

xIcarus, BetA, fantaskarsef and 2 others like this.
  7. Prince Valiant

Prince Valiant Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 ti
    I wrote it off with the hopes they'd change their mind on the release model. It's disappointing but so be it.

How's the gameplay in Quake Champions?

8. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Obviously 50 people is hyperbole but you say something like Quake Champions is in a far better state and yet the max player count for that game in a month was 17,000 people but typically averages around 5000. By comparison Fortnite is seeing 78 million a month. Then you have games like Lawbreakers that completely failed. Titan Fall 2 that wasn't a big earner either. TOXIKK all time peak 1000 people. Shootmania Storm 600 people.

You could make the argument that all these games are doing it wrong and somehow Epic could make UT do it right but I think the better argument is that no one wants to play arena shooters anymore. I loved UT/Quake - I played thousands of hours in both. I even loved this beta and yet after a few hours it was stale. It was boring. The gameplay loop is extremely simple. It's boring to watch compared to modern games that are streamed to twitch. That makes viewership of a competitive scene basically non-existent. The new player experience is terrible because you have a bunch of people that have been playing these kinds of games for decades. The UT community didn't even want a match making system and the one they shipped was garbage. Outside of just "being faster" there is relatively little you can do to increase the skill ceiling. I couldn't get any of my gaming friends to play it anymore than 5 minutes. Genre is dead and unless people are willing to see the game move beyond Unreal 1999 standards it's not coming back.

fantaskarsef and Solfaur like this.
  9. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Most of the Devs are probably going to work on Save the World, as they have a lot planned for it.

Which is great, because i still love Save the World ever since i started playing it back in August 2016 during Closed Alpha OT8.

If they want to do something Unreal related in the future, remake Unreal 1998.

10. <-----is one of the 87 people playing quake champions.

11. IchimA

IchimA Maha Guru

GPU:
    7800XT Asus TUF
    That is to bad. Young children really don't know what a good game is. How we skipped classes just to play for hours in internet cafe. UT , quake 2 and 3 . C.S. 1.4 ... Settlers .... Fkm me I am old
    All they care about is last man standing and microtransactions ...

Keitosha likes this.
  12. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    there was an new unreal tournament?

13. icedman

icedman Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI MECH RX 6750XT
    They should have focused on unrealtournament and added all the fortnite stuff as a separate mode of unreal st least then everyone would be happy and the graphics wouldnt be garbage I personally cant stand anything about fortnite but I love unreal tournament.

14. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Wow so first Paragon, and now Unreal Tournament?! Wasn't their big scope with Unreal Tournament to be updated for and by the community?

I get Epic is a business and they're gonna do what they're gonna do for profits, but this is just crappy. Unreal Tournament could have been something awesome if better supported.

15. FrostNixon

FrostNixon Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT
    People know what good games are, that's why dota and cs are still played and updated. Just UT wasn't a good enough game apart from a niche community, thus it died when better games came along

16. phawkins633

phawkins633 Member

GPU:
    EVGA 2080ti
    I believe that is what was said about DOOM 4 (2016) and they were wrong too...as a matter of fact, isn't Doom eternal coming out, using that "unsuccessful game design from 1999"....lol

Order_66 likes this.
  17. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I loved UT99 to bits back in the day. I forgot this thing was even coming out. I guess epic is irrelevant to me then.

18. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Uh there is a massive difference between a multiplayer competitive shooter where the gameplay loop is on average less than 2 minutes long and a single player game with dozens of hours of content. That's not to mention that Doom 4 added both a weapon and character progression system, large open areas for combat and multiple pathways in the level design, multiple bosses, etc. "UT4" has no major design tweaks - it's all slight combat modifications and weapon changes - everything else is literally identical design-wise.

Edit: Also the Doom 4 multiplayer is completely dead so just add another arenashooter to the dead list with that one - despite being a popular single player game.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
  19. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Focusing on the crap game nobody wants instead of the one people do.... typical.

20. vf

vf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATi Radeon™
    It's a bit of a mixed bag. Some nights can be good, some attrocious and the servers can be really lousy. They're Amazon Cloud servers and the servers can freeze for 2 - 4 seconds sometimes then everyone goes nuts.

Hit registration can be hit and a miss due to the instability of the servers. You can see the frustrations by some who stream it. It's about 50/50.

When it runs great it's damn great fun but when it's lousy, ugh! Flipping tables as they say.

Prince Valiant likes this.