NVIDIA PhysX Engine Now is Open-Source

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 3, 2018.

1. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    nvidia usually isn't the sort to opensource anything, especially moving to an opensource license is odd

2. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Is all this forum good for anymore is complaining?

Sure seems like it.

3. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    I think its more the entire internet is for complaining these days.

Keitosha, Clawedge, G*addict and 3 others like this.
  4. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    True, very true.

Clawedge and yasamoka like this.

5. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    This. ^^

yasamoka and Aura89 like this.
  6. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    The forums used to have hardware/software enthusiasts that had proper comprehension skills who would actually read through articles and source material. Now it's full of moronic gamer's that take some random person's opinion as gospel who only wants to read a title.

yasamoka, anxious_f0x and Aura89 like this.
  7. DDRSAM

DDRSAM Active Member

GPU:
    Asus Nvidia 1070 8gb
    Hopefully now someone with a brain can actually make it decent

8. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    This^^ Nvidia should really support the open standard instead of only G-Sync.

Venix likes this.
  9. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    This hasn't been the case on PC in years. In fact the lead developer at Nvidia for PhysX recently wrote in a blog post that Nvidia hasn't even kept track which games use PhysX since SDK 3.0 which was released in 2011.

PhysX is the default collision/physics engines for both Unity & Unreal Engine 4. In Unity 5+ it's even hardware accelerated by default for collisions - in Unreal it's hardware accelerated for some various visual interactions but not collisions.

There are probably better custom options but PhysX is typically considered good enough.

-

Seems less like it was intentionally crippled and more like two random nerds wrote some code and then had to shoehorn it into an SDK before optimizing it when their company was purchased by Ageia. Knowing the industry this seems more believable then intentional crippling.

Honestly this guy's whole blog is interesting in general:

http://www.codercorner.com/blog/?p=1129

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
    Noisiv, yasamoka and fantaskarsef like this.
  10. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Denial likes this.

11. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    They just changed the version 3.4 SDK license, anything else is still the same, like the closed source implementation for hardware acceleration via CUDA virtual machine for NVIDIA GPUs.

Example (PhysX-3.4, core directly from readme_windows.html):
    Example (APEX, directly from the README.md):
    So, it is still a "no-go" for non-NVIDIA proprietary implementation for hardware acceleration.

Moreover, the 4.0 version is not even public on the "NVIDIA GameWorks" github group (registration required to view and access most of the repos: https://github.com/NVIDIAGameWorks), while 3.4 version is public for everyone (was for group member only)

Aside from that, I think every developer can appreciate the simplification of the license.

Yes, I like to break dreams before xmas...

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
    Fox2232 and jura11 like this.
  12. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD natively supports x87 instructions since K6.
    Moreover nobody use x87 code today into games: they are always slower than SSE2 code and do not provide such greater accuracy than someone could expect from 80-bit floating point registers vs 64-bit FP registers (thanks to some vectorization tricks they may also produce better results in some cases).

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
  13. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    +10 on that one Sure G-sync is superior but i believe Nvidia deliberately not supporting adaptive sync equipping their video cards 20x0 with hdmi 2.0 instead of 2.1 correct me if i am wrong but hdmi 2.1 has adaptive sync mandatory on their specs no ? Remains to be seen if the 3xxx series will hold back , implement it or implement it with the adaptive sync ability remove it ... i hope is the second one .

Correct me if i am wrong or i am wearing a tin foil hat here but i can not shake the feeling they deliberately held back on that one

14. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Oh don't flash out the tin foil hat since you're right. It's a business decision. Maybe Nvidia will be forced at some point to adopt it since adaptive refresh might soon be in every standard.
    I have no issue buying extra for Gsync because there was no Nvidia alternative at the time, and Freesync also was not around when I bought my monitor iirc. Now though things look quite different...

Venix and Denial like this.
  15. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Yeah - When G-Sync came out AMD didn't have an alternative and even about a year after Freesync launched, G-Sync was the superior option.. I could see paying a premium during those times. Now it's not, Freesync has feature parity and aside from the 4K 144Hhz FLAD monitors, G-Sync is severely limiting my choices in monitor/displays. It really needs to go.

Venix, Fox2232 and fantaskarsef like this.

16. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I also can't imagine that a Gsync module prevents Nvidia from supporting adaptive sync even with Gsync displays... or am I wrong here? (Sorry for OT)

Venix likes this.
  17. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    I think as far you have hdmi 2.1 you have adaptive sync .
    @Denial i do not want gsync to go it can stay forever and locked to nvidia cards as far as they support adaptive sync also . Now i wonder if you have the same monitor ad.sync enabled for 500 euros and 750 with gsync ... witch one will sell the most ...i wonder .....(assuming they enable ad.sync)