Guru3D 2018 December 3 - Win a Crucial 16GB Ballistix DDR4 kit

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 3, 2018.

1. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    Ah, I can feel the carpal tunnel setting in already from the hunts. Thanks again HH, this must be quite the undertaking each year (building contests, obtaining items to give, etc.)

HH is too smart to not have some kind of sorting/tracking to keep cheating down. Still, best of luck to the dedicated Guru's that contribute to our community day in and day out.

Absolutely, same here! Since the day HH brought it to our attention. Boss man does a great job at making sure the ads aren't terrible or malicious, so I'm more than willing to look at/watch/click on them.

As fun as it would be to restrict December giveaways to only Ancient Guru, that isn't reasonable. I'm thinking these contests drive a good bit of traffic and help with ad revenue, so while more people coming around is good for the overall health of the site it can upset some older members. Perhaps the best way to show disapproval is to, uh, not enter? I wouldn't recommend that strategy, as I'm aiming to enter every single Guru3D contest this year as I'm sure lots of the old guard are doing as well.

Gouki likes this.
  2. stereoman

stereoman Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit RTX 3080 GPRO
    Maybe have one contest that only the senior forum members can enter and have the rest open to everyone, that way it rewards active forum members and encourages others to become active members of the community, considering the amount of prizes given away each year one contest that is exclusive shouldn't be an issue if the rest are open to all.

3. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I must say that I care little about ads being more or less intrusive. I block them everywhere. That's why sent some bucks Hilbet's way some years ago when he mentioned that issue.

4. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    You are indeed correct. I thought about this just after posting. I lurked without an account for 3+ years before signing up on the forums.
    That is one of the good parts of the modern internet, there are many ways to help out. I'm sure HH appreciates those who donate as well as those willing to accept ads. :)

Gouki likes this.

5. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I have seen other forums offering to disable ads permanently upon some small donation. It could possibly be implemented here too. It may be hidden next to donation.

6. shaga

shaga Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus 3060 Ti
    That time of year! Good luck to all. I hope I win this year something :)

Please make this years competitions not so difficult. Like leave newsletter and join again. Seems just bad practise. This first one was perfect. Still got useless email of it though but I can deal with it(think dealwithit.gifs).

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
  7. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    Winning a 2080Ti with ~3 clicks of the left mouse button? That seems unreasonable. I've always thought the difficulty should, at least roughly, correlate to the value of the item being given away.

In the end HH decides how stuff will go, but if he happens to have an RTX to give away and it is only requiring me to unsubscribe then resubscribe, of course I'll do it. I'm entering every contest this year, just like the previous years. Yes, I've spent upwards of 4 hours searching massive articles for tiny clues just to lose, as I'm sure others have done.

8. shaga

shaga Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus 3060 Ti
    Well with my luck not gonna get it anyway.

9. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    Yeah, everybody says that. Myself included, so imagine my surprise when I won the very SSD I'm using (VX500, thanks again HH) a couple years ago.

Just do your best and hope to win the ones you are entered in. :)

Legacy-ZA and shaga like this.
  10. shaga

shaga Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus 3060 Ti
    Gratz on that! :D

But my point really was I look upto Guru3d. One of the best reviewers in the world(next to gaming nexus). They should be able to do best competitions but last year was a mess. Leave mail to join again?

BTW, I would flip if Steve from nexus or our own admins would reply but no need to go to that length. Just wanted to say what I think. If they would it's like hitting a nail with a nuclear blast.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018

11. MUPPETA

MUPPETA Member

GPU:
    GTX980
    Good Luck to everyone and a
    /Big/ thank you to Guru3D and all the staff .

12. jazh23

jazh23 Guest

GPU:
    Asus 660 ti 2GB
    Another December Contest in which at least I have the hope of winning something, here in Venezuela buying Hardware is almost impossible, Thanks! Is an excellent prize.

13. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    Thanks for the contest,great time of year for all members.

14. Izi Cheeseborn

Izi Cheeseborn Active Member

GPU:
    Strix GTX980ti SLi
    I love memory ram! ThankQ Guru3D and good luck to everyone =) :)

15. Ridiric

Ridiric Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti @2100Mhz

Its a free competition put on by HH out of his own time with his own rules, you don't have to take part, you can take part in only the bits you want as well, its entirely optional, you don't pay anything for it, and you can win free stuff.

You aren't entitled to having it made easy for you, and you aren't entitled to win something either.

Enjoy it for what it is or don't its up to you, but don't complain about free stuff done out of the goodness of HH's heart, remember he doesn't have to do any of this.

16. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    I'd encourage those who are visiting Guru3D around this time of year to give this section a read.

https://www.guru3d.com/content-page/residual-hardware.html

I remember lurking all those years ago (2002-2005) and deciding I had to sign up to support HH and his endeavors upon reading this information. While we will likely never cross paths (Texas & Netherlands) I've always gotten the feeling that HH is a genuine and good person.

Plenty of people only around for contests and prizes may forget there is a person behind all of this, so lets continue to keep a good attitude and be civil. :)

17. kens30

kens30 Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 GAMING OC
    Thanks once again for the yearly December competitions HH.
    True fact i have never won anything in my lifetime so far and i have reached a dead end
    here in Greece for any future upgrades.

Good luck to everyone!!!

18. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    I'm kinda chuckling at all the stories trying to 'influence the judges' (not that there's any impact). For myself, I would not be able to put this to use, so I will increase the odds for others by not entering. :cool:

Gouki likes this.
  19. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    I never won anything in my life, and won't win anything here either, but why not wish luck to fellow forum members? ;)

Besides as in many other events, the winner is already decided long before the actual event.

20. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I did not participate, but I was once lucky enough to win 2x8GB DDR4 two years ago, so it's real! ;):D