Nvidia releases Titan RTX with 72 RT cores and 24 GB GDDR6 at $2,499

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 3, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    warlord likes this.
  2. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    So does this have real NVLink as it was mentioned in the article again, or just "SLI"?

3. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    This is a much bigger card than the Titan X. It also applicable to far more markets and competes with FPGA's that are priced far higher for inferencing. It also technically cannibalizes some of Nvidia's own market (It's 40% cheaper than RTX 6000). Plus it's replacing the Titan V (minus the double precision) not the Titan X.

All Turing NVLink cards support "real" NVLink just the bandwidth is limited in somecases (2080) and the consumer cards don't support TCC mode. This should support TCC, which makes it makes it more useful for professional workloads.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
    tunejunky and fantaskarsef like this.
  4. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Is it just me or those 72RT cores on Titan will not be much more capable than 2080ti?

tunejunky and -Tj- like this.

5. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    I don't think they're that much more, article mentions 11 "Gigarays" whereas the info I looked up on the performance for the 2080 Ti has it at 10 billion rays and then the 2080 lands at 8 billion.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeForce_20_series

It's a slight increase but it might not add that much more performance wise.

6. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Traditionally the Titan series kind of falls into "Prosumer" territory. Some gamers buy them to have the absolute best gaming cards as they are supported by Geforce Drivers but they typically do well with people dabbling in GPU based computing & small startups that require features specific to the Titan/Tesla/Quadro series (in some cases FP64, in others Tensors, RT, more Vram, etc).

7. JaxMacFL

JaxMacFL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 4090 OC
    Seems to be all business and no play.

8. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    Nice price. And people here think I'M crazy.

9. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    Let's go with inflation and now, non-existent tariffs.

10. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Then what do you call the Quadros?

I don't even think Nvidia themselves think this is a nice price. They know very well that this is too expensive, but, they're also fully aware people will buy it anyway.

Serotonin likes this.

11. JaxMacFL

JaxMacFL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 4090 OC
    Price wise Quadros have always been all business, Titans’ tended to be in the gray area of business/play, until now that is.

12. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    1x RTX 3080 FE
    Doesn't look like the Titan will be able to perform much better than a 2080Ti. The specs kinda hint that it will be 10% faster (and that's being generous). Yet nGreedia think they can charge double the price of this 2080Ti for this card. At this point, i think we as consumers should send them a huge 'F*** you message' by boycotting them for price gouging

13. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    In a few years, PC gaming will be something that only rich dudes do, like golfing. Console gaming will hopefully still be main stream. I don't think Sony, M$ and Nintendo want to go past 500$. We all know what happens then.

nVidia is a greedy bastard in my book and have given everyone the middle finger but it still makes the consumer buy their products since there is no competition.

-Tj- likes this.
  14. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Past few have definitely been more towards the business side but it's funny seeing people here cry about the pricing when the alternative to this card for someone dabbling in machine learning is $13,000 Alveo U250 - which doesn't get the added bonus of being able to render graphics.

But the Guru3D's community will continue to be unable to see beyond their own usecase.

Aura89, sammarbella, Spets and 3 others like this.
  15. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    I disagree. The problem is PC gamers have this mentality of "go big or go home". I still have an R9 290 that handles most games at 1080p @ 60FPS. You can get a better 1080p or 1440p experience than consoles for a lower price. You can build a new PC that can handle 4K @ 30FPS for a little bit more than the price of a console.
    People need to lower their expectations and stop buying the best for the sake of having the best. This is what drives Nvidia's prices.

16. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    No, it wont be. PC gaming should not be luxury. As long we have atleast some competition that wont be a case.

You can build an AMD system for 500$ that can play games.

17. Texter

Texter Guest

GPU:
    Club3d GF6800GT 256MB AGP
    Yeah what a week in PC graphics this is...AMD rehash Polaris AGAIN, and nVidia launch a $2500 Titan. Meanwhile, a GPU half the price of the 590 can already run most games at higher framerates at 1080p than we used to see from a x80 level card back in the 00's.

schmidtbag likes this.
  18. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    $2,499, well played. Navi (7nm) can't come soon enough.

ceesay and -Tj- like this.
  19. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I have a question - if they disabled gaming on this card and renamed it to "Tesla Lite" for the same price would people still be upset about the card?

BangTail likes this.
  20. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Too bad those 1440/4K monitors exist and those Ultra settings. If it weren't for them...

I have a 3440x1440p monitor and it requires some crazy horsepower, not to mention playing on my 4K TV. Sure, if I only play indie games or play AAA games at Low settings I guess I could still use my old 980Ti I had back in the day.

tensai28 and fantaskarsef like this.