How do you make letters and messages bigger when using 5120 x 2880 resolution?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Kaish_Lothon, Dec 2, 2018.

1. Kaish_Lothon

Kaish_Lothon Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 780
    1440p Is the native resolution for my monitor but I am trying Dynamic Super-Resolution and I set it to 4.00x and it looks really nice but text is kind of difficult to read. In case it matters I use Windows 10 home 64bit.

2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Don't use DSR on the desktop.

3. droopy_ro

droopy_ro Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 Ti MSI
    You could try scaling to 200% or more, but as said above, why would you use it for desktop ?

4. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    [​IMG]
    Sorry, could not resist...

But have you tried to set more than 100% "Change the size of text, apps and other items" in Dispaly settings?

airbud7 and fantaskarsef like this.

5. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    Settings\Ease of Access\Display. You can change text scaling with a slider there.

6. Kaish_Lothon

Kaish_Lothon Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 780
    How do I choose to only use it in games? In the NVIDIA Control Panel, it seems to only let me choose one resolution for everything. How do I set the desktop resolution as it's native resolution and 4.00x native for games and stuff?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    @Kaish_Lothon

Why do you set resolution higher than the native one?

DSR works for games rendering the scene with bigger resolution and then scaling it back to current resolution. It desn`t switch the resolution to bigger one.

8. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    As long as DSR is enabled in the NVCP then you will have the option to use the 4x res ingame.

So just set your desktop to native, and then ingame just increase it to 5120x2880.

airbud7 and -Tj- like this.
  9. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    As long as it's in fullscreen and I believe a few games with incorrect DPI scaling manifests or that reports as DPI aware but aren't might also look off if you use anything other than 100% in the settings for the display for DPI scaling but you can disable the program scaling via the properties menu and various compatibility options for how it should behave if you notice anything wrong with the image. :)

Borderless and windowed mode works if you scale the desktop but it's an additional step and a bit tedious plus when it works right fullscreen is superior performance wise.
    (It can be improved but it still won't be quite the same.)

10. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    I don`t get it. LCD panel can`t show actual higher resolution because it has no extra pixels. It can scale incoming higher resolution to native one. Or videocard can scale output higher resolution to native panel`s one before sending the frame.

11. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Which is probably why desktop DSR (NVIDIA) or VSR (AMD) looks pretty bad. :)

Though if the author likes it who am I to argue, DPI scaling in the settings or control panel for the display properties should help with text clarity but yeah it's mainly for scaling in games or other software for downsampling to the monitors actual native resolution. :)

Desktop would look squished or zoomed though the display scaling options might help a bit but if it's just for scaling the desktop I wouldn't recommend downsampling it.

12. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Why on Earth do you have 32x CSAA enabled globally? For games where that setting takes effect, your performance would absolutely tank. Also, Prefer maximum performance means your GPU would not downclock, saving power, heat, and fan lifespan, and would keep running at full clockspeed even when you're not gaming or doing anything graphically intensive. Don't modify global settings that you don't understand, that's just asking for trouble. DSR enables higher resolutions but you don't have to use that resolution on the desktop so that it applies to games. Just select the higher resolution in games that support that resolution and where you find performance / image quality to be acceptable.

You're not supposed to be using DSR on the desktop, as text is rendered targeting your native resolution with antialiasing already applied. Adding DSR on top of that is just asking for a worse image on the desktop.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
  13. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    32xCSAA is 8x +24 coverage samples, some games can do this easily.

14. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    This.

15. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Control + mouse wheel

airbud7 likes this.

16. Kaish_Lothon

Kaish_Lothon Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 780
    I have changed the global power setting but the games I play are not exactly the newest so I force 32xcsaa globally. is there anything else I did wrong?

17. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    Set you desktop to native resolution and for Dynamic Super-Resolution in game put checkmarks in DSR Factors and hit apply.

You can set any AA setting you want ,I suggest you pick AA settings that work on per game basis by using program setting for each game instead of global.
    As of now I do not think you settings will work.

Amazing Spreadsheet of hard work put together by fellow guru member
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...4KMTxBXoEfDuaDiiP--H4BJ-U/edit#gid=1911323755

3DGuru link
    NVIDIA compatibility bits master thread and IQ guide
    • MSAA+TrSSAA
    • MSAA+SGSSAA (Use TrSSAA instead of SGSSAA in OpenGL)
    • OGSSAA and post process AA (Includes DSR and ingame SSAA information)
    • OGSSAA hybrids (e.g. 16xS+4xSGSSAA)
    • DX8 and DX9 HBAO+
    • DX10 and DX11 HBAO+
    • Custom DX8, DX9 and OpenGL SLI
    • Custom DX10 and DX11 SLI
    • Essential tweaks (Includes gaming and system optimization tips)
    • Reference
    • Additional reference
    • Tweak guide
    • NVIDIA Inspector profile (Extract the .zip archive and import the .nip file using NVIDIA Profile Inspector)
    https://i.**********/ZR0nbfVv/Untitled.jpg

Redemption80 likes this.
  18. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    DSR is for games, not for the desktop. The desktop will look worse with DSR.