Just Cause 4

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by WhiteLightning, Jun 11, 2018.

1. Zenoth

Zenoth Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 12GB
    This reminds me some of the first impressive physics effects I remember seeing were in the original Red Faction (PS2), especially for the windows / glass effects, and of course the 'GeoMod' tech. But I think that my mind was truly blown away the first time I saw Half-Life 2's first E3 demo sometime back in... something like 2003 I think. Now, THAT stuff was far, FAR ahead of its time. The Source engine back then was something else. And, unfortunately, it was the last time Valve did anything worth mentioning for the industry, oh well. Nowadays we take those effects (Havok, and the likes) for granted, we don't even think about how ground-breaking it was to see good ("believable" / plausible) physics effects in games (either scripted / simulated or actual Havok in its first years).

In fact, physics in games was such a new thing and sort of a 'trend' in the industry that... lo and behold maybe some forgot already at this point but NVIDIA invested a lot in trying to help push for it (and of course trying to set foot in that business) with the PhysX cards. Yeah, you guys remember? The Aegia PPU cards (and yeah, I feel old now, too). And on a side note, the first version of the Havok SDK dates back to the year 2000, folks. We're closing in on almost 20 years of 'proper' (more plausible, less 'scripted' or simulated) physics in video gaming. Isn't it flying so fast.

2. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    PhysX could have been amazing, i think Borderlands 2 really used it well, Havok SDK is great too.

But too many games have very bad or lack of physics , that's so annoying, all the tech in 2018 and yet, no physics.

XenthorX likes this.
  3. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
  4. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    console related issue.... nothing new here

5. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    That's a showstopper tbh, PhysX and physics are mandotory in my opinion in any game.

Half Life 2 , Red Faction Guerilla, those two can wipe the floor with any game realted to physics,(and BFBC2,BF4).

I hope JC4 can be played via FPS pov too, 3rd person isn't always my fav.

6. MaXThReAT

MaXThReAT Master Guru

GPU:
    2070-SOC 2Ghz
    Out now! Let the reviews begin.

7. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Looks like an updated JC2, I guess that's a good thing.

8. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    Physics is great but in networked game it's a freaking challenge, between simulation on client given server simulation interpolation and yet local simulation. what a mess.

9. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Looks kind of boring and lots of tree/foliage lod transitions.
    Thought it's going to be a lot better, gameplay and gfx wise.

10. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    Think i'll skip this, played 1 and 2 to completion, then got 3.

At that point, the game formula was tried and tired and copied everywhere, towers bases and islands to capture, I gave up about a third the way through.

That is, unless the reviews come out about how it's the best game of this generation and has a gripping story, but I think hell might open up before that happens.

11. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Yeah it's the same old thing. I just felt with all the bs going on these days, a little bit of predictability is a good thing :D I couldn't pay attention to the finer details in the graphics though, the video quality isn't that good and all the other clips I could find were of annoying streamers :p

edit: Huh ... the music is practically non-existent as well.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
  12. MaXThReAT

MaXThReAT Master Guru

GPU:
    2070-SOC 2Ghz
    Didn't know that.
    So some physics are done server side and some are done client side? Dumb.
    Seems like just another always online money grab. Bet it has Denuvo too.
    Kinda looks....better but same as JC3...meh.
    I think I'm ganna pass based on other reviews I've seen and this.

XenthorX likes this.
  13. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Can't find any info about it having any server side physics. Even added some buzzwords like cloud and physics as a service in google. Denuvo is there as usual. I bet we'll see it go on sale in 3 weeks time and there will be review bombing again :D

14. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    For it to look good and reactive physic is simulated on client, but the server will compute it also and if the client simulation is doign crap (because he's cheating for instance :p) the server will send the position of this physically simulated object to everyone.

When you receive the update your client will interpolate smootly between your local simulation and the server simulation, for everyone to keep in check.

Some stuff aren't replicated of course, some physically simulated object in R6S for instance aren't replicated, but otherwise, that's how it goes.

It's painful, it cost processing power, it's a mess :p

MaXThReAT likes this.
  15. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    DF reported early build is working maxed out 1080p/50-60fps on a rx570 and gtx1060 without game ready drivers.

Thats not bad.

16. Zenoth

Zenoth Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 12GB
    I'm pretty sure this game's price will go down during Christmas sales around. I might pick it up then if the price is good just to mess around with the physics. I never cared about the rest in those JC games.

17. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    all I have ever wanted was a modern JC game that felt like JC2 cos that was when the magic truly happened and became a game I could play and play and play never getting bored. the prob with JC3 being that the god arful performance issues hurt everyones experience so much any time spent with the game which no matter how mjch I played I never clicked so it never felt like a worthy pay off and seeing JC4 look so much like what i wanted out of JC3 is a dream come true and decent performance on top of that is the icing on the cake and is exactly what fans deserve after the third game being such a tech disaster no matter what spec you had at the time.

here is radbrad gameplay on PC

After new TR sales bomb here is hoping JC4 is the sucess it clearly looks like it deserves to be and square really could do with a hit right now.

18. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    See how the PC version shakes out plus some reviews.

I played jc2 skipped 3 utterly, and hope this one is good, i certainly not burnt out having not bothered with 3, so we see.

19. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    bought 3, played 2hours

scatman839 and Darren Hodgson like this.
  20. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    Played JC3 but it got boring in the middle, and story was well not really there.

I hope JC4 would be better, time to hit up reviews.