Q3 2018 goes down as worst third quarter for graphics cards add-in boards

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 29, 2018.

1. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Let's be honest the mining crazy fell apart, AMD has stagnated and Nvidia is being overly greedy. It was a perfect storm. Many are waiting on 7nm from both camps to see how that plays out.

Keitosha likes this.
  2. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    And today's computing needs are 50000000x bigger.

Counting graphics cards shipped is what they do for living. What you do with that data is entirely up to you.

3. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt

no doubt! ;);)

4. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Just to put things into perspective:

[​IMG]

5. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    No doubt, but let's remember we gamers were demanding that they increase production in order to have cheaper GPUs. It's because AMD and Nvidia listened to us that they're in the situation that they are in. We are partially at fault for this - they are suffering because of our short-sighted and self-serving demands.

6. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I have to disagree. It is work of market analysts and other people in each company to understand demand. If they reacted appropriately to crypto demand, they would signal for increase in production in Q3 and Q4 2017. Maybe even during fall in January 2018. But events in February 2018 should have kept everyone cold. Incompetent ones who have signaled for increase in supply after April's repetition should have been jobless.

As of cry-baby mentality of current elites in world who have only "Growth" in dictionary, they are aiming for bigger downfalls than ever before.
    I have feeling that people responsible for world economy have severe form of amnesia and can learn a lot from any random article like this. Or they may not learn at all as it is not amnesia, but dementia.

meds likes this.
  7. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    Nvida priced the casual pc hobby builder out the market, with Intel right on their heels, and rt won't help them them double down on that.

Neo Cyrus likes this.
  8. flimbo

flimbo Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Due to these ridiculous prices I'm never buying an Nvidia or AMD graphics card again... Oh wait. I'll have to cos I don't have a choice :( They're as bad as the printer and ink manufacturers now. Screw you both.

Neo Cyrus likes this.
  9. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    First, nobody knew where crypto was headed. It sank in February but was going back up by March before it sank back down again in June. The crypto markets are extremely volatile, regularly shooting up or down by double digits and it was impossible to predict how they would go - speculative bubbles are impossible to predict. Like many other people, they took a guess and got it wrong.

Secondly, they can't just change production on a dime. Neither AMD nor Nvidia own their own fabs and fabs like TSMC have their own schedules, handling dozens of clients (there are probably penalties to cancelling or changing an order, as it would throw their entire schedule off). It was likely booked weeks in advance and by the time they orders came in to reduce production it was too late.

10. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I did know where it was headed. Does not take genius, does not take even half of brain. Then they had demand vs. current/past value and expectations. One can successfully doubt that at time bitcoin did drop under $7k, demand was anywhere near where it was when bitcoin was about to attack $20k.

And anyone who understand basic concept of regulators (system like dampeners on car wheels) can take known signals and calculate effect of change they propose.

And I do not really see why would anyone defend orchestrators of economical collapses. It is their doing, not yours, not mine. That's unless you believe that you have actually any power over their decision making.

11. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    Hindsight is always 20/20. It wasn't a sure thing that Bitcoin would drop the way it did - it sank to $7K in February but was back up to $11K by March. If they had cut production but the price of crypto went up then they would have been raked over the coals for being wrong, just like they are now. If these analysts could accurately predict the behavior of speculative bubbles then they'd be rich and retired by now.

12. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Yes we were demanding cards at "normal" prices so we could continue with our hobby (gaming) but AMD and Nvidia couldn´t care less about what we want, they were more concerned with miners despite several signs and warnings that it was a (stupid) fade. So they increased their production to cater to the mining demand not to the gaming demand and we all know the result by now... So Nvidia and AMD are the ones to be blamed for being greedy not their loyal customers for just wanting the product they have been buying for the last 20 years at decent prices.

13. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    + Nvidia chasing their board partner market with dual fans instead of traditionnal blower cards :/

14. meds

meds Guest

GPU:
    It’s refreshing to see a genuinely intelligent response. Yes, I may also agree with your response, and you actually provided some rationale for why you believe this. I sense you have some wherewithal in economics, unlike some others with a more limited scope. Large corporations are known to react slowly and conservatively to big changes of production- they jumped the gun, like you said if they did increase production a few months earlier it would be a different story. Never underestimate the other guys greed. -Scarface (80’s version with Pacino).

15. Andrew LB

Andrew LB Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080@2,025

16. Killian38

Killian38 Guest

GPU:
    I passed up building at least 2 new systems this year alone due to cost. It's just not worth paying what they are asking for GFX, mem, SSD's. I did buy a Xbox one X tho. It really seems like a deal when you compare it to the overpriced crap on the market atm.

17. Arbie

Arbie Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    It was meant to be humorous...