Intel changes Graphics Drivers to UWD and releases 25.20.100.6444 (UWD)

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 29, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. AcidSnow

AcidSnow Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT
    What an apocalyptic-level of a news post; like have some brevity. ...Zero fucks given since I'm still using an R9 290X from October 2013, and [as of Battlefield V] a trash tier level i7 920 OC'd. It's coming time to upgrade I suppose :/

tunejunky likes this.
  3. ManofGod

ManofGod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
    Thanks for the heads up.

4. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    you aren't alone.
    i still have "fiends" and family with older stuff than you and they aren't as tech savvy as you are. and many use integrated graphics...

5. Amx85

Amx85 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI R7-260X2GD5/OC
    but R9 290X still getting updates like DX12 and Vulkan, is just that games are´nt getting it at all

6. Mateja

Mateja Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GT 640 12140MB
    can somone please explain to me the point of uwd? other than being a fancy windows store app? i'm not sure that I like the sound of "there shouldn't be an impact to users' experience." and "Failure to do so (ie install / uninstall properly) may result in minor to catastrophic issues on your system as well as system instability."

not noticing any difference whatsoever it even still runs the winSAT windows 7 aero benchmark . . . I have noticed that they took away my intel control panel from the desktop right click menu. not sure how I am supposed to adjust scaling on an external display now? and I have no idea how to access these new per game profiles I've read about although Idc really cuz that work is for the dedicated gpu just curious how it works anyway. also … I am confused as to why they said they didn't provide a zip because we have to get it from the windows store, yet I went to their website and found a .exe for the uwd... guess i'll check the windows store and see if that install gives my scaling options back

...just checked the windows store and am not finding this driver anywhere. so I am unable to install it in the proper way at all? link please? think i'm ready to 'roll back' … except not because failure to uninstall this properly (from apps and features w10 apps list) could result in catastrophic system instability. thankfully it at least does appear there in apps and features list even though I didn't get it from the windows store. intel is a disaster! between this and getting slammed by speculative execution side channel attacks i'm pissed. they sell you something and are like oh just kidding it's 30% slower and vulnerable even after bios updates and several windows patches that slow it more

and no i'm not using integrated graphics per say. i just like that the scaling operations are offloaded onto a different card. its just the default they put in your laptop before your dedicated card. I have a dedicated Quadro m500m in this thing too so please just answer the question(s) if you can and/or spare me the elitist insults... lol. not using integrated per se, just dealing with it as switchable graphics on the OS level and curious about a few things

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
    HonoredShadow likes this.
  7. Mateja

Mateja Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GT 640 12140MB
    yeah enough of the new graphics APIs so tired of the hype all of 1 game will use it before RTX or something else comes along and makes it obsolete. how bout focus on the stability of the stuff that's actually used like dx9 dx11 and opengl

Amx85 likes this.
  8. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    UWD is just a package system for drivers. It has nothing to do with the windows store or any of the problems you're experiencing with the driver.

The Windows patches against Intel are still being optimized - new mitigation techniques are reducing the performance impacts:

https://www.techspot.com/news/77026...e-spectre-meltdown-patch-performance-hit.html

Microsoft continues to support DX11 via updates. DX9 is completely obsolete. DX12/Vulkan are alternative low-level APIs. Stability seems fine on the API level.. so idk what you're even talking about with this post.

9. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    #me2 :D

But only maybe 20% of the time; rest being at integrated gfx.
    Intel is unbeatable when it comes to watching video and browsing - It even does madvr at decent settings. Of course with colder days incoming i'll be switching more frequently to 290 (not a joke!)

Anyway just wanted to say I love my Intel GPU - IT JUST WORKS :)

10. Mateja

Mateja Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GT 640 12140MB
    i'm not experiencing any problems with this driver per say other than the fact that everything that used to exist in the desktop right click menu for intel graphics control panel is no longer easily accessible in one location. how do I adjust external display scaling now?

edit: nevermind I found it. scaling is also buried in the convoluted windows 10 'display' settings. this driver seems to be about relinquishing control of the igpu to windows 10. guess this isn't usable in windows 7

11. HonoredShadow

HonoredShadow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    msi 4090
    I have just installed this driver and already wish I didn't. As Mateja said my right click has gone and I can't find the options.

How do I change to full range? Everything is washed out.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
  12. HonoredShadow

HonoredShadow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    msi 4090
    Anyone solve this or roll back? Need to change from limited to full for brightness/colour. Have no options.

Also if the previous drivers have gone legacy I can't find them on the Intel site and the G3D link for previous driver is dead.

Also from here on in if all we get are UWD drivers we will never have a right click option again to access things? That's crazy if true...

13. https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/80939/Graphics-Drivers