Q3 2018 goes down as worst third quarter for graphics cards add-in boards

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 29, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    XenthorX, tunejunky and fantaskarsef like this.
  2. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Well, guess who's to blame for that, with cards that never have been so expansive in the time I can remember.

cryohellinc likes this.
  3. AntiSnipe

AntiSnipe Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6600
    Well, let's see...the low end GTX1060 3GB I paid $169 for (and that was too much) a year ago has been $400-550 for most of that year since. I can't imagine why folks are not just scooping them up. :confused:

I am surprised the sales didn't drop by more like 80%

carnivore likes this.
  4. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    The next two quarters should be even worse - the mining boom didn't top out until Q1 this year. Second-hand markets are flooded with used GPUs and there's nothing new from AMD or Nvidia that's worth buying right now. It's going to be a rough few months for GPU makers.

ceesay and tunejunky like this.

5. WalterDasTrevas

WalterDasTrevas Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX970 oc
    If fanatics boycotted, prices would reduce. But we have a community that does not care about the market, they want to buy expensive GPUs, after all, that way your penis grows in the benchmarks. Pathetic.

6. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    No surprise at all. It was mostly old hardware overpriced due to miners (and lack of competition at the high end) and the only new hardware we did get was also overpriced, where it's major selling point (raytracing) turned out to be a disappointment.

7. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    not surprising in the least.

while 4k tv's have finally taken off, 4k gaming has not due to expense.
    add to that that the game developers are gimping many games instead of pushing the envelope. in the past i've bought at least two gpu's because of game req's.
    there hasn't been a game in the last two or more years where the xx70/ x80 has been a minimum requirement. instead we get bad console ports to pc or pay for beta testing games that aren't ready for prime time.
    and Nvidia certainly knows this. i'm picking on them simply because of the rtx series and their prices for them. they know fanboys and competitive gamers will buy at any price point.

WalterDasTrevas and lucidus like this.
  8. flimbo

flimbo Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    The prices are procreating ridiculous! That's why.

9. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    No, no ... it's the entitled gamers at fault once again :D

fantaskarsef likes this.
  10. Wicken

Wicken Guest

GPU:
    GTX980Ti
    I've been in the market for two new graphics cards for two years now. First the 1080ti was impossible to find, then it was close to the 2080ti release, now that thing is $1500.

How can they cry about low sales when they doubled the price?! I'm not paying 3 grand for two graphics cards!

11. Orwellswift

Orwellswift Guest

GPU:
    gtx-960/4GB
    Nvidia rolled the dice and lost, so now we have to pay for their mistakes by purchasing high-end gaming cards for $1,500.

Darren Hodgson and BReal85 like this.
  12. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    I bet Nvidia and AMD are praying for another surge of demand for crypto currency...

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
  13. BReal85

BReal85 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapph RX 570 4G ITX
    Agreed with the exception that we do NOT NEED to purchase $1500 GPUs. Only who wants to be milked.

0blivious and WalterDasTrevas like this.
  14. Geek

Geek Guest

GPU:
    Asus R9 290x
    I imagine that inflated prices on high end and midrange GPUs has caused people to opt to use integrated graphics. I personally find cards so expensive, I cannot justify an upgrade.

15. icedman

icedman Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI MECH RX 6750XT
    I expected this at current pricing and lack of useful innovation. At this time to get a 2070 which is almost equivalent to a 1080 in terms of performance costs an extra 200$ which doesn't make sense, does that mean when the 2060 drops I can pay the same as my 1080 did and get a downgrade?

16. Arbie

Arbie Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    "The volume of those boards peaked in 1999, reaching 114 million units. This quarter 9.9 million shipped."

What they're overlooking - duh - is that today each board does maybe 50x more! And this guy is a PhD?

17. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    I blame AMD just as much as Nvidia. They embraced that mining BS long before Nvidia did and that's part of what caused this nonsense in pricing. Add their lack of high end competition and here we are.

18. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Lower prices by 50% - 75% and there will be a GPU shortage.

But no... **** ing greed.

Darren Hodgson and warlord like this.
  19. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    No. Owners of 2080 and 2080ti, will have lowered e-peen. Prices are good as they are. They have any right to be superior wannabe rich peasants especially those with 2080/2080ti sli. If prices were under 1500$ for sli, they wouldn't have a meaning for their life, a.k.a massive commit suicides.

20. kings

kings Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti / RX 580
    Demand is low, because AMD is stagnant until they can get any new architecture and because of that incapacity, Nvidia is taking advantage of that and showing minimal service as well. So, all market sucks right now, minimal improvements in all ranges, on AMD and Nvidia side.

For example, RX480 and GTX 1060, the range of cards that most people buy, don't have yet an worthwhile replacement, after almost 3 years.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018