Windows 10: New Intel Microcode for Spectre V3a, V4 & L1TF Gets Released

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 28, 2018.

1. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    FYI the os microcode isn't different from the bios microcode, its just a binary blob that gets loaded , can be done by the bios or the os. you could insert this new microcode into the bios if you wanted too.

2. Irenicus

Irenicus Master Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti OC
    Hmmm I'm not sure I believe that. BIOS updates have microcode updates in them, but then OS updates do too, so I believe you require both.

3. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    your belief is incorrect.

4. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    the actual microcode is the same (the binary blob that is loaded), however updates to the os to use those features are a different thing,

hawk7000 likes this.

5. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I am not disabling HT, so i do hope these patchs arnt doing the same thing the linix patchs did before they would pulled

6. Fierce Guppy

Fierce Guppy Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 (10GB)
    MS will most likely provide an update for Haswell-E sooner or later, but I keep looking for an updated "Linux Processor Microcode Data File" on Intel's website so I can patch my BIOS straight away.

7. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti

Correct. That's why I check the list to make sure my BIOS ucode is updated to the latest. I'm good for this round as this one was already published and a BIOS update. What happens on some platforms is if you have an ucode older on your BIOS is some motherboards, overclocking via the BIOS and even intel's own Extreme Tuning tool won't work.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27776/Linux-Processor-Microcode-Data-File

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
  8. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Yes, since Asus already showed how much they support X99 mainboards, with only two of them getting BIOS updates by the vendor, the rest being ignored (including the Rampage 5 Extreme, one would think the "flagship" mainboard of X99). Hence, I don't believe they will have ANY updates to offer this time around too.

Uhm Broadwell is the node shrink of Haswell, so it's actually more Haswell than Skylake, or am I wrong here? They are just cutting back on support for older hardware to get people to buy new stuff, but this time around I won't be going Intel anymore, especially after all of this Meltdown / Spectre was handled. After a year I still haven't been able to get all the updates for Haswell-E, which is actually ridiculous in my personal opinion. But my wallet's going to show what I think of it. ;)

9. hawk7000

hawk7000 Member

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti FTW3
    The reason why we have two delivery mechanisms for the same microcode updates now is that motherboard manufacturers at large are bad at both creating and delivering UEFI/BIOS updates (the traditional way of doing microcode updates), so the updates are being done from the OS too, to cover up for the motherboard manufacturers' inability to get the job done.

But, as others pointed out, there are also patches to the OS itself (different KB) relating to these same problems. Ie, having the latest microcode (however you got it) + OS patches is what is needed.

10. nevcairiel

nevcairiel Master Guru

GPU:
    No, its really quite the same. There is only one microcode, and you can update it at various times. Either the BIOS updates it during boot, or the OS can update it - also during boot, but obviously later then the BIOS.

The CPU cannot "save" new microcode, so everytime you turn it off its gone again, hence the BIOS or the OS need to re-load it every startup.

11. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    More performance degradation incoming.

12. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    Yes, and the clear advantage to a bios update including the microcode patches is that you don't have have reapply the Windows patches every time you change OS versions--and the bios protection is good no matter what OS you decide to run--also works for dual-booting with Linux, etc. I see Windows patches for this sort of thing as a stop-gap, el-cheapo fix. It's also a bit strange, since Intel in a statement not long ago (I read it here) stated that these so-called "new" variants of Spectre were already taken care of under their existing Spectre fixes. So, either that wasn't actually the case or else these Windows patches are placebos being distributed to ward off class-action sue-happy lawyers.

13. shogun_thermal

shogun_thermal New Member

KB4465065 I install this then what?

14. shogun_thermal

shogun_thermal New Member

im on kabylake and z170