Windows 10: New Intel Microcode for Spectre V3a, V4 & L1TF Gets Released

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 28, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    XenthorX and eGGroLLiO like this.
  2. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Supporting Broadwell but not Haswell? F U Intel, F U so much.

3. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    It is that time of the year again... It's Bench Time!

4. nevcairiel

nevcairiel Master Guru

GPU:
    Intel has released updates for L1TF and Spectre v3a all the way back to Nehalem. Microsoft usually rolls those out in waves however, since older systems may require more validation.

You can always inquire with your motherboard vendor about a new BIOS with new Microcode if you need it in a more timely manner.

5. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    Better hope it doesn't wipe C:\

6. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    Any eta about the rollback before they get it right ? :p

7. Exodite

Exodite Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    With these patches generally not being deployed back to Sandy Bridge it sometimes feels like my 2600K is getting better and better, relatively speaking. :p

HonoredShadow likes this.
  8. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Eh I tired of this, by the time this all said and done, all the performance hits will add up

Fender178 likes this.
  9. yeeeman

yeeeman Member

GPU:
    9600GT 512mb
    Let the "performance decreased significantly with the new ucode updates from Intel" news begin...

10. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    I've got a 6700K Skylake CPU and it's been on the latest C6 Microcode since July this year (from motherboard BIOS), previous to that I was on C2 microcode which was the previous Spectre protected version released through Microsoft, and there has been zero performance hit with transferring to this latest C6 microcode - in fact it's marginally faster, but hardly, splitting hairs, but it's not slower. So I think folks will be fine with this latest microcode update through Windows 10 - the Spectre Variant 4 protection is not enabled by default so there's no performance loss. And I'm guessing that Spectre Variant 4 protection is not enabled by default because it's not deemed a high risk and also combined with the high performance hit if it were to be enabled.

11. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    last update my motherboard got was for C2 microcode that was back in earlier 2018 I dont expect there to be update anytime soon from asrock, then again I also dont care to do the updates via motherboard. I dont see or feel any performance hits though. Im sure they are there if you looking at benchmarks, but real world performance for me I dont see any hits

12. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    If any of these patches did some of the same stuff that almost went through with the Linux 4.20 kernel, the performance results are going to scare some people. The performance hit was so bad that the patch was pulled and needed to be tweaked.

To my understanding, if you want full security, you have to disable hyper threading.

13. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Yeah, there's definitely been a performance hit (in the region of 3%) if you compare my 6700K with zero Spectre protections versus where it's at now with C6 microcode, but there's been no loss for me from going from C2 to C6 microcode though, which is what this latest Microsoft patch is all about.

14. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    I am with you there. With my x58 xeon rig. I disabled the Spectre and Meltdown patches for better performance since it was causing issues when I was testing PS3 emulation with it enabled. I feel that with older rigs below 4th generation Core i series I would disable the patches for better performance because the performance hit is greater for the older CPUs.

Also to my understanding the performance hit effected Virtualization and Servers as well worse than games did. If what you are saying is true about disabling hyperthreading... I am wiling to bet that most of us will not do that because it will add only more to the performance hit. Especially with games that take advantage of the extra threads.

15. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Yes, games for the most part don't really get affected, but, they're not that demanding of CPUs in the first place, especially if you have at least 4 physical cores.
    The main reason why disabling HT was suggested was actually because those patches were basically just doing exactly that, except through software rather than BIOS. Since that was so counter-productive, Linus and other kernel devs had the same argument as you, which is why they retracted the patch and instead adjusted it to be a little more "open minded" about what gets to use hyper-threaded threads. As a result, some tasks still have a performance hit but it's not as dire as it was just a week ago.

16. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    I guess I will be the test victim and see if this screws up overclocking on X99 for a bunch of users. I should be okay as my BIOS is already updated with this ucode version. Thanks EVGA!

Edit....

KB4465065 is not compatible with your computer...

Well running 18282.1000 probably explains that.... :p

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
  17. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    It might already be a part of the OS, double check with hwinfo or whatever you prefer.

18. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    read it twice... and keep cool :)
    it's not YET but they are working on it.
    Broadwell is on 1150 but it is more Skylake than Haswell, and so it seem more easy to release the patch with the 1st wave.

19. Irenicus

Irenicus Master Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti OC
    Uhhhh correct me if I'm wrong, but I do believe BIOS microcode is different to OS microcode.
    What planet are you living on and what games do they play there? Games can be very demanding of CPU, even with hex cores and above. Maybe you only play old games? Regardless, you're incorrect

20. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    By the time they roll out Haswell i'm probably on Zen2.
    That's why i will never ever buy Gigabyte again, they havn't even bothered releasing Spectre BIOS for Z87.

Venix likes this.