Nvidia Geforce 417.01 WHQL - Download & Discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Deleted member 255716, Nov 26, 2018.

1. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Well i uninstalled this crappy driver and went back to 399.xx more precisely vulkan version 399.41 and first thing I noticed was QuakeChampions waiting hall, 120fps and 87% gpu usage, with this driver I had 92-93% gpu usage and same fps.. higher gpu load for nothing, end result lower fps by gpu bound scenarios. No tnx.

2. bensmooth

bensmooth Member Guru

GPU:
    3060Ti Elite Rev2
    Any performance chart's on this driver or is this another branch to stay away from! o_O

3. bensmooth

bensmooth Member Guru

GPU:
    3060Ti Elite Rev2
    Is vulkan 399.41 the driver you're currently using for quake -TJ- , as i dont have any issue's playing , not rubbing it in but if this driver give's better performance , im down to try it for Quake. "FPS matter's"

4. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Yes :)

Runs ok, I play mostly at ultra settings and dsr 1620p and runs ok, better min fps by heavy close fights.

5. bensmooth

bensmooth Member Guru

GPU:
    3060Ti Elite Rev2
    Can i ask you're gpu and fps -TJ-?

6. jazz9

jazz9 Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070
    You're right, just tried YCbCr444 (the way my plasma is set) and blacks are indeed crushed.
    Had no problems before because I was using full RGB on my monitor.

7. stereoman

stereoman Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit RTX 3080 GPRO
    So I rolled back and got another crash in Asscreed so figured it was my CPU so bumped up the voltage a tiny bit but then I remembered I forgot to turn Nvidia Telemetry off in services after the install of the new drivers and after the rollback to previous drivers, could telemetry be causing the crashes in game? Main thing is I haven't had another crash since disabling it in services, but that could be from the voltage increase, I'll have to drop the voltage back and test again.

at this point though I'm thinking I'll just skip this driver set, what with these colour issues I've had enough problems getting HDR to work right on my TV.

8. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Same as yours, boost 1405mhz.

I have 120fps limiter and average from ~90-120fps or so, depends on map (those two temple maps are most demanding), min ~75ish fps, effects, post process, details @ high, rest ultra and dsr 1620p from 1080p, fxaa.

9. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    What model?

10. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Edge is fixed in a hf driver coming soon, was a small glitch with the Ansel camera whitelist.

Darren Hodgson likes this.

11. AQUILES

AQUILES Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    I have a 2013 Sony TV (42w650a) that I use as a monitor and is compatible with FULL RGB.

I don't have any problem with the colors with these drivers.

12. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Okay...here's what I have discovered so far.
    I have Sammy Ju7100 connected via HDMI running native 4K UHD 4:4:4 RGB.
    I'm running Windows 10 18282.1000.

Windows display settings seems to be the controlling factor now. If I set HDR mode, it switches to a 8bit dither mode which looks dull. Changing from limited to full RGB using the NVCP, now has no effect except the usual screen flash but nothing changes.
    Pretty much ditto when you disable HDR. The display reverts to full RGB, but now, as other reported the toggle again does nothing. You can't switch between limited and full. Quite odd.

13. flexy

flexy Guest

GPU:
    Riva 128
    I haven't checked this driver yet, but if you say that you cannot switch your HDMI TV (!) to limited, go in NV Control Panel and change the "Content Type reported to the Display" and set this to "Full-screen Videos". (Under Desktop Colour Settings). Maybe this does the trick?

Because limited range (16-235) does *only* apply to TV and movies and doesn't make sense for anything else. It would actually be normal that any monitor connected via HDMI uses the 0-255 (full range) setting.

If you're using a HDMI TV as monitor (desktop, work, gaming etc.) the card should not output "limited". Likewise, if (the card) it is switching to RGB Full, but then you watch a movie (the only scenario where you even want "limited"...then this is a setting in your media player. Any player should have a setting where you can specify the correct range for playback.

(TLDR: Connecting *any* digital display to a PC, the card should output RGB full. I do understand however that the problem is supposed to that you cannot switch this any longer, as with previous drivers). In older drivers, at least for me, the problem was the exact opposite: That the NV drivers always defaulted to "limited" for anything connected to HDMI.)

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
  14. nevcairiel

nevcairiel Master Guru

GPU:
    While this is true, and Full RGB should always be preferred for the highest quality, some people use cheap and crappy TVs as their gaming displays which apparently can't deal with Full RGB. Or they just failed to configure the TV properly, also equally possible.

If you have to use anything but Full RGB to get a "good image", then your screen is not a good gaming screen.

15. flexy

flexy Guest

GPU:
    Riva 128
    Correct me if wrong, but there shouldn't even be any normal scenario where you'd want to switch any digital display to "limited". UNLESS, as you say, someone would have a very crappy TV that doesn't have this setting. (Which I cannot imagine, I am guessing people have set up their TVs wrong..but it may well be that some TVs don't have this setting).

Or differently spoken, if this driver doesn't allow to switch a TV to "limited", this is not necessarily "wrong", in fact it makes sense and would be expected. (Let your video player do the rest)

16. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    All 4k Samsungs (within last couple years at least) support full rgb. When you install an Nvidia driver it defaults to limited RGB but its a simple matter of selecting full in the Nvidia CP.

17. vf

vf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATi Radeon™
    Limited is 16 - 235 broadcasting standard. Broadcast, Blu-Ray is all mastered for that. Even the consoles are designed and are the default for 16 - 235. Where the computer space is Full 0 - 255.

There's been years of these discussions even on AVSForum. Including those who are the professional calibrators who know their things versus just the enthusiasts.

18. flexy

flexy Guest

GPU:
    Riva 128
    It's absolutely maddening, one of the things I'd lose my hair over setting up TVs and player chains if I wasn't bald already. Why? Because there are multiple ways to set this, not "just" in the driver for the card:

1) What the card outputs (driver settings) 2) How your TV is set up 3) What you specify in your player/video filters

And you have to do all this correctly so that you get the proper range without losing information.This is always something which irked me, I wish it was "plug and play" sorta. And implementations of these settings (like in NV drivers) but also in TVs...are surprisingly often flaky. (Like now with these drivers, or with previous drivers which always defaulted to limited).

The settings for TVs may also not always be obvious: Some may call this setting "PC levels" or "black levels" , and for other TVs the setting is decided what you name the HDMI input. (For example if you set HDMI input to BluRay). It's really a clusterfuck that can be very confusing and anything but straight-forward.

alanm likes this.
  19. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    I'm using a 4k sharp tv for my monitor and it supports full RGB. It's about two years old. Needed to turn on "enhanced hdmi format. Most 4k tvs will have some setting named differently but does the same thing.

20. KBDE

KBDE Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI TRIO RTX 4900
    I sometimes wonder how it's even possible to break basic functionality (full/limited) and on top of it not being able to spot it immediately themselves.

It's a bit like with the 23.978 hz situation. Has Nvidia not noticed the refresh rate isn't correct? How long are we waiting for them to fix 24p?

Or why is the DSR image quality so much worse compared to creating those same custom resolutions manually? Or the fact that those created custom resolutions behave like borderless windowed mode (causing input lag) instead of actual fullscreen?

There's more.. but i better stop. :p

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018