Microsoft blocks Windows 10 October 2018 Update (Again)

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 23, 2018.

1. ManofGod

ManofGod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
    Guess you did not read the provided link? Has nothing to do with Quicksync.

2. WalterDasTrevas

WalterDasTrevas Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX970 oc
    Your childishness surprised me. You really are a hater who ignores logical arguments.

MasterBash likes this.
  3. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    LMFAO! :D

airbud7 likes this.
  4. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    They keep flame bating, I keep pressing "Ignore" lol

airbud7, lucidus and Rich_Guy like this.

5. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    :D

airbud7, lucidus and Extraordinary like this.
  6. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    I like it, it cleans up the forum for me :D

airbud7, Rich_Guy and warlord like this.
  7. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    If Ford came over to your garage, while considering merely answering the door to be consent because that makes you an advanced driver, changed the engine every 6 months and caused problems for Shell and the rest of the fuel supply chain then you bet he'd be right to be annoyed with Ford.

Do you not understand? They keep changing the internals of the O/S far too often and it causes problems. Intel's issues will eventually be fixed but this will cause enormous headaches for people with older hardware down the line and MS will be forced to maintain non-LTS versions for their sake or be in the awkward position to tell them to upgrade their hardware as well. They already have committed to maintaining the non-LTS version of 1607 for certain configurations and that will only grow for older machines with wifi and BT chips that may cause trouble. Already my dad's laptop has bluescreens thanks to MS' and broadcom's wireless-n drivers and that was fixed by installing a windows 8.1 driver. Who knows how long that fix would work with newer versions of 10 and the only saving grace is the existence of 1607 LTSB.

Are you for real? A "hater"? Are you that out of the loop with windows 10's troubles both for users and drivers? 2017 versions having trouble with gaming, 1803 wrecking networking, and now 1809 being a hot pile of garbage. This is the Server/LTS release yet they're dumb enough to not have repotline and WPA3 implementation in this but yay for more UWP apps. I swear the only good thing in this release v/s 1607 was clipboard history. He's quite right to be skeptical and dismissive of MS at this point. Just because you can't notice issues or don't care doesn't mean you can mouth him off like that.

carnivore, airbud7 and Extraordinary like this.
  8. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    It's so good that it removes the quotes from my own post leaving me wondering WTF just happened :D

airbud7, Extraordinary and warlord like this.
  9. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    :D Better than bleach

airbud7, lucidus and warlord like this.
  10. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    Savage! :p

airbud7 and lucidus like this.

11. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Funny thing is, back in the day, XP > 7, I thought the sun shone out of MS ass, Windows was magical, then came Win 8..... lol

I can't see these posts bad mouthing me, but it's hilarious that they think they know me inside out after a couple of posts in one thread :D :D

Basically just trolling, flame-bating which I'm fairly sure is against the rules of the forum in the first place

My view of MS changed big time when they decided not to try any more, when mucking about with social media, data harvesting, and UWP rubbish became more important than the OS itself

If the team is replaced and they become a professional team/company once more, my view will change again, it's called being a realist :D

carnivore, airbud7 and lucidus like this.
  12. ManofGod

ManofGod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
    Well, I cannot believe they are doing it again, MS keeps screwing up and we get the sloppy seconds all the time. When will they get it right and make this OS something worth using on a daily basis?

13. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    One can call Microsoft out for not having a proper test team, but when Intel releases a driver that introduces issues (I guess not there if using earlier drivers for 1809?), I'll blame Intel.

One case where I do blame Microsoft though is for DX10 Radeons, because these WDDM 1.1 drivers worked fine in the earlier Win10 builds, and now they've made some changes affecting these drivers, and Win10 is supposed to work even with WDDM 1.0 drivers.

14. aka2k

aka2k Member Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 8800 GS
    I miss the Jim Allchin days. Even the Steve Ballmer days were much better.

Guess Windows needs a leader with two "L"s in his surname to make it great again.

15. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Believe it ... the main reason why I'm still on windows 10 at this point is 1607 LTSB and don't have to worry about their proficiency every 6 months.

A bad driver can be replaced on an affected system via WU before installing 1809, there's no need to block the whole thing. There must be more serious issues bts for them to halt it for intel gpu configurations. During 1507's rollout, they actually forcibly installed an nvidia driver that caused a bsod if you simply moved the mouse (yes you read that right). Neither nvidia or MS' quality labs caught it. They were both at fault then and both in this case (intel) as well, especially MS for screwing around every 6 months needlessly.

carnivore, airbud7 and Extraordinary like this.

16. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Exactly, you don't (for the 2nd time) pause an entire OS rollout because of a 3rd party driver, you do however blame yet another bug you missed on someone else to save face because you already look incompetent enough

Maybe if the tires that a random garage down the road sell keep popping every 20 miles, the car manufacturers should pause their vehicle production until the garage sorts the tires out...

17. Huh? Did anyone else find that stupefying?

... Many people use Intel display drivers - hell 3 out of 7 of my devices do at least. Also if you own Apple products - there you go, chances are high. This isn't to start a flame war but many people do own their products for example.

EDIT: On second thought, this is nothing new - and more and more QA in other places not just MS is declining.

Personally I think this problem has to do with leadership, at this point the board should be pushing for a new CEO. Someone who at least seems to give a damn enough to push for new recruiting in OS or people being replaced once these issues become recurring issues and his company isn't solving it on its own (as should normally happen in a healthy hierarchy)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2018
    ManofGod likes this.
  18. prazola

prazola Member Guru

GPU:
    R9390XSOC / R9290DCU2OC
    This is comfy for me, hope you like it.
    http://preccalc.sourceforge.net/

lucidus likes this.
  19. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    @fr33k : Is this big enough to recognize it as failure, or you still think this is fine and dandy?

20. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Ofcourse not, but you still need intel driver for it. ;)

ManofGod likes this.