Samsung 860 QVO SSDs 1TB, 2TB and 4TB Spotted At Really Low Prices

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 21, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Laci

Laci Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    Soon the time will come to swap my 3 TB HDDs for SSDs :)

EDIT:
    Did someone of you guys here ever had an SSD that failed due to stated MTBF has been reached? I cannot imagine this happening to a regular consumer after at least 10 years of usage.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
  3. Petr V

Petr V Master Guru

GPU:
    Gtx over 9000
    Good News but i already swap my laptop hdd to WD blue 3d nand
    and it’s working great.

4. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Nope never, had one SSD for around 5/6 years and it runs perfectly fine...my other ones are newer just over a year. but at their current rate they might not hit that limit for another 20-30 years XD

5. N0Name

N0Name Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti
    My Samsung Evo 840 250 GB failed on me. At first I had some issue on Debian accessing some sectors, then after couple of reboots / days it didn't even get detected by BIOS. It was my first SSD, dunno about TBW/MTBF but I did rode that drive (and my new PRO's) hard, with all these libraries with thousands of files etc. also with compiled files etc. written / read / deleted "all the time".
    Samsung replaced it with 850 Evo, works fine and still in use today. Doubt that was TBW issue, but I didn't checked status of that drive either. Well it should be under threshold as warranty would be void.

Just for reference my 1.5 year old Samsung 960 Pro 2TB according to spec has: 5 Years or 1200 TBW, drive that I do have 2 OS (Win / Debian) and do still same work / daily compilations / updates large libraries like i.e. Android SDK / NDK etc. has now 12.5 TBW. My Samsung 850 Pro 500 Gig has 14.5 TBW of 300 (and 10 year warranty, dunno why 960 has only 5).

The point that I want to make is that even with QLC I think most users, even those that use drives more intensively, will be fine with them. Initially I was also sceptical but seeing how my current quota / use cases these new 4TB drive will be ideal to replace 2x4TB WD Green and 1x6TB WD Blue, although price, even after "drop", is still high even very. Being able to purchase 4TB for 250-300 euro would be instant buy for me, at least 3 units, because that Blue drive is noisier then Greens and helium Red, with according to the spec supposed to be more quiet then Blue, was actually lauder even on idle.

For now sleeping drive when idle works wonders, kinda headache to wake them up (5-10 sec up time) but silence is worth this inconvenience.

To me these QLC drives are ideal for mass storage media and are something that I was looking forward for long time now (in "affordable price range" of course).

Funny thing is that all this time none of my HDD (all WD's) did actually failed on me, not even single HDD failure, well I did killed one intentionally for RMA but that's different story :), SSD did ...

Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
  6. Humanoid_1

Humanoid_1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 X Trio
    Some time ago I found a Russian site that is doing the most extensive SSD endurance test I have found anywhere - 3DNews.ru SSD Test. They have done one of those drives (near the top of the, google translated page, there is a grey "Content" bar, click it for table of contents for that page):

Western Digital Blue 3D NAND 250 GB
    Claimed resource - 100 TB (TBW)

Endurance test scores - 82 TB

It started having errors after just 54 TB written! I'm sorry to say it was one of the worst results they have had.
    Please bear in mind that the one they had "could" have been a bit of a lemon, but I'd keep back ups of your data if you do end up doing a lot of writes. Depending on use it would still take a long time to reach even 50TB of writes.

I always check that site before buying a new SSD and they are keeping it updated all the time too :)

jura11 likes this.
  7. Margalus

Margalus Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Ventus 3060 Ti
    Nope, never had an ssd fail. I still have a 9-10 year old intel X-25M running perfectly, a couple of 5-6 year old intel 520 ssd's still perfect, 2 Crucial bx100's and a whole slew of Samsung 850's and 860's and even a 960. I have never had any data loss or any other issues. I have had 2 hdd's fail in the same time frame though.

8. Humanoid_1

Humanoid_1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 X Trio
    Be warned, when Intel SSDs reach their claimed max TBW, they immediately (and permanently as far as I am aware) switch into a read only state.

I am not sure if that is still the case with newer models though.

9. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    $127.98 for 1TB on the egg

ManofGod likes this.
  10. Humanoid_1

Humanoid_1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 X Trio
    I'm Really liking these prices I must say.

I ended up buying a Samsung 960 EVO 1TB, but I can see myself buying some of these for data.

Problem is with NAND, it is not usually the amount of TBW that kills them, but rather age, which is rather a big problem for data storage drives...

11. anub1s18

anub1s18 Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX2070S /WC
    i'm yet to see a SSD live long enough to reach that goal :p though my evo 860 was doing admirably untill i had to sell it to make room for a 2.5" mechanical drive untill well these ssd's arrived to become my gaming ssd's :p

had 3 vertex 2's (1 for my pc 1 for my moms pc and 1 for my dads) all 3 dead within 3 years.
    then had a crucial M5p which died 3 years in.
    and then got a evo 860 which showed no signs of stopping.

its the 1 thing i prefer about mechanical drives they usually start making odd noises wile walking towards the light, ssd's work and then they don't >.>

airbud7 likes this.
  12. go4brendon

go4brendon Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1080Ti Seahawk X
    Picked up a 1TB 970 EVO M2 on Tuesday from Amazon for £175 ($225) absolute bargain

13. Humanoid_1

Humanoid_1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 X Trio
    That is a Good price!

I paid about £245 ($315) 8 months back I think it was, for my 1TB EVO 960 M2 and felt I had found an exceptional deal ^^

These sticks have fantastic performance + durability, Love It <3

14. slyphnier

slyphnier Guest

GPU:
    GTX1070
    probably this good replacement for storage drive
    although need some feedback for people usage with these SSD

people that reporting SSD 5+years still fine
    SSD back 5years or older is much better quality as the NAND using SLC/MLC
    SLC and MLC endurance is far more higher than TLC/QLC

but as the capacity is much bigger nowdays, it help with write amplification
    much lower write on same cell... but still i bet it wont last as good as MLC SSD

15. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    @Humanoid_1
    Problem is with NAND, it is not usually the amount of TBW that kills them, but rather age..
    +1

i've been saying this for a while, as backblaze data was showing the same thing (after 2-3y roughly 25% of drives had chip failure from age, not writes).

i keep replacing them after about 2-3y with newer/bigger drives, but did have no issues with the "big names" i used (crucial/ocz/kingston/toshiba),
    but had a "myssd" were the controller failed within a year. was the OS drive at the time, so no data loss as i use trueimage.

i will go back to drives with mlc chips, as the qlc drive i just got is terribly slow (even with slc/dram cache),
    and i dont like them cranking up bits per cell every year and no real long term data showing the chips last.

16. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    is this the drive were discussing?

https://i.**********/fLD98v7M/SSD-1.png

seems like a good deal either way?

17. Humanoid_1

Humanoid_1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 X Trio
    The description seems a little off, but hey, 3 bit MLC should be a better option anyway. At that price it is a damn fine buy either way I think :)

airbud7 likes this.
  18. Ridiric

Ridiric Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti @2100Mhz
    Any test done with a sample size of one for something like hard drive or SSD endurance is pretty useless, I couldn't see anywhere from my quick look saying they tested with multiple drives, so... yeah while kinda interesting its not a very useful test set.

19. Humanoid_1

Humanoid_1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 X Trio
    Indeed.

Yet drives reaching market "should" be of avg quality as they go, so their tests are yet worth noting before making potential purchases.
    They are a good 1st goto due to their range of drives tested, after which other endurance tests of a preferred drive can possibly be tracked down.

So far from drives I have seen multiple tests of they marry up pretty well.

Like I mentioned to Petr V that WD Blue 3D Nand, they tested could have been a bit of a lemon one off. Yet other prev gen WD Blue Nand drives (I was looking at buying as are great value) have also been pretty poor performers compared to more outstanding examples exceeding claimed max TBW from other manufacturers.

Samsung drives of various models often achieve many thousands of TB written over claimed limits. Really impressive, yet something almost no one will ever reach in a regular use environment lol

20. slyphnier

slyphnier Guest

GPU:
    GTX1070
    depends on how you take those test result i guess
    i would rather think it as estimation/average lifespan for the SSD... especially the NAND limit
    so i can have better image/expectation from the SSD, rather than total blind and only know based the SSD specs which some market it with overly-hype endurance rate specs than it should
    like MTBF bs... SSD is like 2million MTBF or 228years ...yea it will be in museum

airbud7 likes this.