The RTX 2080Ti Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Netherwind, Aug 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    How it 'feels' is largely irrelevant and I don't work on emotional reactions, that's the problem with this whole situation, people are angry about the price so they react emotionally.

As I have said two or three times now, Derbauer actually said that the RMA numbers were well within the norm (he actually provided numbers).

A large amount of the 'defective' cards sent to GN were actually just a driver bug that was subsequently fixed and no doubt that also accounted for many of the reports of dead cards.

It probably 'feels' like it is more widespread than normal because several youtubers know they can get clicks out of videos entitled 'Nvidia is the devil and they are coming to steal your children and burn down your house'.

We all agree that the price is ridiculous and quite frankly, that is what is driving most of this hate.

Nvidia's QA obviously f**ked the dog with the first batch of FE cards, no doubt about that either.

RT is new and it will take time for it to become implemented in any meaningful way but I don't have so much of a problem with that, I remember when T&L first showed up ;)

Last edited: Nov 22, 2018
    Shataan and tensai28 like this.
  2. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Just to point out AGAIN, that the numbers he provided are just for the one retailer dealing with AIB cards. The numbers we really want to know are for the FE cards, which are only sold by NVIDIA, and they haven't released any RMA information.

So it's all speculation at this point. However, Customer Perception, which is also very important as it affects purchase decisions, is that the Turing cards have a perceived issue of higher than normal failure rates. This is just as bad as actually having a high failure rate.

3. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    @Chastity

While that is true, those are the only numbers I have, so that's what I'm going with along with my own experience with the cards I bought, none of which have had any problems.

I don't do speculation based on an emotional reaction, that isn't going to render you a factual conclusion.

Show me numbers to the contrary and I will adjust my opinion accordingly.

Perception blah blah blah, the 2080 Ti is still sold out everywhere and every time it does come into stock, it is gone within minutes.

4. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    They're sold out because of low stock of sellable cards getting to vendors.

5. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    More baseless conjecture /yawn

I find it rather strange that you spend your time in this particular thread being angry about a product you don't even own.

Hell, owners who've had to RMA their cards are less agitated than you seem to be.

At any rate, I'm just going to have to use the ignore function a lot more often, starting now ;)

tensai28 likes this.
  6. Party Poison

Party Poison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4090

This. Not many people go online to shout about how their product is working as intended.

tensai28 and BangTail like this.
  7. fleggy

fleggy Member Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Hi, could you share your flashing know-how, please?

8. vf

vf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATi Radeon™
    That's not very tolerant. ;)

9. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Likewise.

As for being critical of NV, I was looking forward to getting a new card in 2019. Seeing how this launch went has me looking for alternatives.

10. sKutDeath

sKutDeath Member

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP 4090
    So after more testing I did determine that some of the more arrogant and insulting guru's were right. Not actually getting DX12 SLI with DRX. Verified this by using the Rivatuner and confirmed by trying out BF1 also. BF1 does not use SLI in DX12, but does work in DX11. I got such a performance boost when I enabled Dynamic Local Mode on the CPU that I attributed it to the SLI configuration. So hardware is there, just have to wait for more Software development to actually utilise it more efficiently. How long will we be waiting?

Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
    BangTail and fantaskarsef like this.

11. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    I'd just learn to ignore it. At least that's what I am trying to do. This whole forum has become full of people bitching about the prices of the cards instead of appreciating new tech. A new card finally comes out that beats the 1080ti...but no, let's just focus on the price and how the first cards to implement ray tracing in gaming perform worse with it on than without.:rolleyes:.

Sure but not sure what you want to know? Assuming you haven't updated your profile and using the same card as me then I got the bios from here
    https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/204921/msi-rtx2080ti-11264-181021
    and used the latest version of nvflash found here
    https://www.techpowerup.com/download/nvidia-nvflash/

pharma and BangTail like this.
  12. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    I only pointed out that what you were claiming was inaccurate and you insisted that it was not.

I was neither insulting or arrogant but I do appreciate the fact that you have the strength of character to admit that you were incorrect.

Now as to the question of SLI (DX12 and DXR), if BF1 is anything to go by, it will be a very long wait for DX12 mGPU, DX11 may be sooner.

The only silver lining is that DX12 is required for DXR so that might encourage them to actually implement DX12 mGPU this time (they did not in Battlefront 2 or BF1).

There has been no official confirmation of SLI for either API at this point, I believe they have said they are 'working on it' :rolleyes:

I do hope it gets sorted out for you, having a second card sitting in your box doing SFA is particularly irritating.

This kind of garbage is exactly why I ditched SLI, it's a f**king travesty that people who spend ~$2500.00 USD are continuously left out in the cold despite Nvidia constantly claiming they are going to devote more resources to SLI (of course, these empty claims rather conveniently seem to materialize right around new card launches).

Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
    pharma likes this.
  13. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Well I say thanks for clarifying, unluckily it didn't work. Yeah, we all will have to wait until devs do code mGPU for dx12 into their games, even ~4 years after it's announcement.

pharma and BangTail like this.
  14. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    I think Nvidia's earnings pretty much confirm low availability. Not only did they miss their Q3 target by a wide margin but the projected Q4 numbers were also extremely bad - this is due to the mining hangover, but if Nvidia was creating large numbers of RTX cards and completely selling out then I'd expect higher figures that would counter it. Also, the enormous size of these chips pretty much guarantees low availability.

The failure issue may be somewhat overblown but that's to be expected from such expensive products. Having a $1200 product fail is a much bigger deal than having a $300 product fail. The FE cards were also priced higher, adding insult to injury.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  15. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Clean power is your friend. :) Have fun with your new toy.

fantaskarsef likes this.

16. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Good video about RT.

Sadly, he confirms that DICE has no plans to implement SLI in DX12 :(

17. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    iirc correctly you mentioned lowering your stocks, looks like a wise decision by now, 15-25% or so over current :D

18. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4090
    Well my 2080 Ti experience is going well...

Code 43 in device manager, drivers won't stick and glorious artefacts.

[​IMG]

warlord likes this.
  19. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    People whining its blown out of proportion, but to see it this frequently it's not. Yuck.

I never seen any NV series fail this bad as this one and I've been following them for years and years.

I personally will stay far away from this 2000 series until I see that 7nm refresh. If that's shitty too then I'll go AMD, or even intel if they go back into the game soon .

Solfaur and Mufflore like this.
  20. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    My brother was whining on the phone to me last night that he needs to upgrade his 980ti, he's been on 4k for a few years.
    1080tis are silly money for the age, if you can even find one thats not a worse price.
    2000 series are more silly money and unreliable to the point of being impossible to consider.
    He isnt pleased.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.