Fallout 76

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by UnrealGaming, May 30, 2018.

1. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    https://www.resetera.com/threads/eurogamer-fallout-76s-first-major-patch-is-a-whopping-47gb.81936/

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-11-19-fallout-76s-first-major-patch-is-a-whopping-47gb

Are they just replacing the existing data outright with these? Well at least the future updates should be smaller, anything below 47 GB would fulfill that criteria though.
    Well little by little maybe the game can be patched up and fixed and see additional content updates and so on once the major issues are sorted out.

INSTG8R likes this.
  2. Angantyr

Angantyr Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070 Super X
    Ah-haha. Oh man. It's really schadenfreude for me to follow news about this game, especially when I don''t play it myself.
    But I think Bethesda don't issue updates using Delta Update? Otherwise, are they just making people re-download whole archive files to replace em with the latest version?

3. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    I'm at a total loss as to why Bethesda can't implement an FOV slider, the hack from reddit works fine and I've yet to see it cause any problems whatsoever.

4. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    Because these days, people who make games don't play games. So they don't understand and thus don't care.

5. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Yah, I'm enjoying the game tbh, just a little confused as to why they won't implement this as it seems to work fine.

6. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Sad thing is that they will use the same engine for elder scrolls 6.

7. Angantyr

Angantyr Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070 Super X
    I have some conflicting thoughts on that.. Probably best summed up in bullet points for how vague they are..
    • I hope that isn't true or confirmed
    • That all the negative talk surrounding Fallout 76 & The Creation Engine is heard by Bethesda
    • That Elder Scrolls 6 is still in the early phases of development and they have a chance of switching engines or .. Something.

8. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    but they know the engine so well and they can use decades old assets in said engine. They can create lands quickly and efficiently and work cheaper vs buying a new engine or starting from scratch to spend 2 3 years creating a whole new engine.

Where just about every other game dev has moved on to unreal, cryengine/lumberyard, frostbite, or their own engines made fresh in recent years.

And funnily enough those engines do not seem to have any issue creating worlds.

Better yet for 76 why not lend the IP to ID to make a multiplayer first person online thing, ID has experience with all that stuff aside from the fallout lore that bethesda pissed all over anyway with 76. and fallout 4 to a lesser degree, so how could ID do any worse with it?

Oh because that would have taken several years, to develop nm whatever other projects ID is working on. Vs bethesda just tossing together this in a year or whatever.

CalculuS likes this.
  9. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    I got bad news for you then: http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2018...ame_engine_for_the_elder_scrolls_vi_starfield

Frankly, I think there is little to no chance that Bethesda will kick their Creation Engine habit. As long as these games sell, and sell well, they will keep using the same engine.

10. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    It would be amazing they moved to id tech engine and start there. Its one of their own studios plus id software is really pushing their engine and technology.

11. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    I find it funny...
    That people seem to think Bethesda games will magically be problem free, if they just use another engine. Just... because. Engine = Good apparently.

Yet, everyone is ignoring the fact that FO76... is the buggiest title Bethesda has released since New Vegas. And NV was only as buggy as it was, because Obsidian didn't get to finish it before release.
    Fallout 4 was nowhere near as troubled as 76. Neither was Skyrim.
    The problem (well, the majority of the problems with 76) are not because of the engine, but are because of the team behind it. Bethesda Austin was not up to this task. Plain and simple.
    The game was poorly managed, handled by an inexperienced and unprepared team. And, pushed out sooner then it should've been to meet a deadline just so Bethesda could stand up and say "We released a game in 2018".

Yes, there are problems with the game that are caused by engine limitations.
    But, those issues are multiplied and expanded by the poor handling done by the team at Bethesda Austin. The writing was on the wall when they said they were getting help from Arkane, id and other ZeniMax studios. Something was wrong.

And, do people really think...
    If Bethesda started using idTech, or CryEngine... that Starfield or Fallout 5... would suddenly be these bug free, amazing titles? No. They would have issues, probably a LOT of the exact same ones their past titles already had. And probably a whole series of brand new and exciting bugs, glitches, crashes and lockups that were never experienced before because it would be a brand new learning curve for the team.
    It's obvious, that Todd's core, main team are working on Starfield... and this was farmed out to the B and C teams.
    FO76 runs worse then FO4, looks worse, has more bugs, more issues... worse gameplay, worse writing.

A new engine won't fix that.
    Sorry, but, seems people just want to rip on Bethesda for the engine... just because. And most seem to act as if magically, if they use idTech or something... all these problems would just... go away.
    Would they? I'm sorry, but, Arkane seemed to have some pretty big issues with idTech when they made DisHonored 2.
    Or, Tango had some issues using idTech when they made both Evil Within games. No engine is an instant win. No engine is safe, or just "stable" because. People claiming PREY was only so polished and solid on PC because it was CryEngine.... ignoring the multitude of horribly optimized and buggy CryEngine games out there.

SpajdrEX, Kolt, INSTG8R and 1 other person like this.
  12. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    I think I remember Todd saying that more than one studio was working on F076?

13. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    I had NV at launch and i can only recall one bug that lost me hours of play, where i went to a vault killed a bunch of robots, and when i rolled into vegas i was KOS to every robot guard in vegas. So i had to roll back several hours goto vegas first meet house then i went back to the vault killed those robots and the game was fine.

Beyond that i do not recall many crashes or bugs with vegas. And i was modding the game day one porting mods from fallout 3 to nv (with permission) and a few personal mods shared with people that wanted x mod ported.

That is the amazing thing about pcs though one person can play a game and it virtually bug free and another plays it and it a total unplayable mess.

I had also heard that while obsidian was to make the game, bug testing and Q&A were solely the job of bethesda. Not sure if that is 100% accurate or not though.

It is combo of their engine being woefully out of date and limited in many areas. And bethsdas general laziness i mean they claim they know the engine inside and out and they cant patch bugs in skyrim through several rereleases on different platforms nor would they go to the modder community and maybe ask for permission to use their community patches for the bloody game toss them a few 1000 for fixing their games for them they could divy it up among the contributers somehow.

on top of them putting their B or C teams on the 76 title.

Hows come modders can patch their games but bethesda is incapable or just cant be arsed to do even while they reselling the game?

It is because they are lazy as hell developers in my book why bother when your community will do it?

And why does creation club updates break fallout 4 script extender? while i am on a rant. What the living hell does CC content that many of us would not touch with a 100 foot pole effect the game files or exe to that degree? because bethesda is incompetent? That would be like having to have a script extender update for every mod released. But somehow they managed to push pay mods in way that breaks the thing that makes the non pay mods work bravo outstanding work there. And it is really testing the patience of people that maintain the script extender project to boot with their CC bullcrap.

INSTG8R likes this.
  14. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I haven't bought this game as the online focus and lack of NPC put me off it even before I read how saw lacklustre it was in the reviews/reviews in progress and saw how awful it looked in the videos on YouTube.

The negative feedback surrounding Fallout 76 is actually making me concerned about The Elder Scrols VI and what direction Bethesda will take with their clearly creaky, buggy and dated engine in future titles. Fallout 3 was great (I never really got into New Vegas as it felt too samey) and Fallout 4 was for the most part decent but the cracks were definitely showing. With so many great open world games out this year and The Witcher 3 currently holding the title of best open world RPG in my eyes I can't help but worry that the the next Elder Scrolls game will be a disappointment, held back by ancient technology and glitches. We have games like Assassin's Creed Origins/Odyssey that blur the lines between RPGs and the more traditional third-person action games so games like Elder Scrolls and Fallout are now up against stiffer opposition.

IMO, the Elder Scrolls games have excelled in world building and lore but featured forgettable characters, laughably bad cutscenes/dialogue sequences and dull side-quests. That didn't matter at the time of Oblivion's and Skyrim's release because there was really nothing else out that was better. The Witcher 3 has raised the bar though so unless Bethesda take note and improve things then I fear their next game may flop. In this industry you are only as good as your last game and if that wasn't much cop then people will spend their money elsewhere, i.e. on better games from other publishers. I am far more excited about Cyberpunk 2077 than Elder Scrolls VI if I'm honest.

cerebus23 likes this.
  15. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    INSTG8R likes this.

16. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    Many of the bugs in FO76 are the same bugs that existed in FO4 (the FPS speed bug, stuck animations, getting stuck in terrain, glitched physics, etc). Fallout 4 also had the infamous unending loading screen bug (particularly for GPUs with less VRAM) as well as random crashes to desktop, incomplete or glitched quests as well as random glitches in textures (particularly bad at Thicket Excavations). There are a couple of new bugs in FO76 (non-responsive enemies, deformed characters) but they seem rather minor compared to the game-breaking bugs in FO4 (I can't count the number of hours I've wasted in survival mode because of random crashes).

I've played through Dishonored 2 several times and never encountered a serious issue. From what I've googled, most of the problems were due to bad performance at release? Well, bad performance was one of the first issues that I encountered in FO4 and it still hasn't been fixed (it still dips below 60 in downtown Boston, even with shadow distance turned way down). If that's the only issue then I'd gladly swap engines.

17. GeoD

GeoD Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060Ti
    I went for it...maybe foolishly but I needed something new to play and here was a new FO game...

I read a few reviews so kinda knew what I was getting into but took a risk. There are plenty of bugs which I expect from just about every game I buy these days. Some are old favorites like the game speed-FPS-physics issue and new ones like bugged animations causing enemies to glide across the floor or hold guns sideways. Despite all that I felt as if the game does have potential and Bethesda has a bunch of major patches coming up already to address some big issues like build limits and adding an FoV slider.

The game does feel empty, but this is kinda what I wanted. The idea of exiting a vault to help rebuild lends itself to an empty world in some ways. Only a few decades after the war I would not expect there to be many people around and the idea of exploring the vast space appeals to me. That being said, having absolutely no settlements or NPCs anywhere hurts the game in a few serious ways as others have mentioned. Someone would be alive somewhere, even if its something not achieved until mid or late game there needs to be something it feels.

What bothers me the most are events/situations that don't seem to line up logically....I am at an airport early in the game and found myself seriously wondering which came first, a tent city, the scorched bodies or the bombs that didn't land here and were only in more populated areas far away? So why is there even a tent city? Residents could still be in their homes...so refugees? How did those bodies get petrified if the bombs weren't close? If everyone got nuked then who needs a tent city? If they were safe from the bombs, then why leave? Little things like that get to me and nag like bigger game-breaking issues. Maybe the next holotape will clear it up...

I would not recommend it to others in its current state, but since I feel there is potential here I am staying optimistic-ish. My experiences with ESO tell me that 76 will undoubted change a lot, especially considering Bethesda's own inability to say exactly what 76 is. Outside of a modern engine, the game needs a direction more than anything.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
    cerebus23 and BangTail like this.
  18. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    Well oblivion had some great side quests like the dark brotherhood line. Some of the thieves guild stuff was pretty fun.

But none of their games since reached that level of interesting quest design, hell fallout 4 was 90% go here kill that.

And their "radiant" quest system is utter garbage. Skyrim it would generate quests on the far side of the bloody map really annoying when the NPC says oh it is not that far away, and your doing a no map travel play, and there is no variety in the quests it the quests it offers, it is meager busy work is all the radiant system is.

Witcher 3 did its fair share of generic side quests, but they mixed in some involved quests with old and new characters. some were funny some were creepy some were pretty involved, and that elevated the side quests to something you wanted to do to find those hidden gems. Not like you have to put major time or effort into every quest.

19. INSTG8R

INSTG8R Guest

GPU:
    Nitro+ 5700XT
    Wow that amazing video had been taken down. Afraid of the truth Bethesda ?

20. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    When i heard Bethesda is removing all the NPC's and quests from the game you know what i said? GENIUS! :D Here is another one, funny sh!t :

Last edited: Nov 21, 2018