Will DirectX Raytracing work only on Windows 10 1809?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Klementh, Aug 29, 2018.

?

Will Microsoft deny DXRT to older Windows 10 builds to force people to upgrade?

Poll closed Oct 29, 2018.
  1. No, Microsoft will release DXRT on all currently supported versions of Windows 10

9 vote(s)
    22.0%
  2. Yes, Microsoft will only release DXRT for the upcoming feature update 1809 (Redstone 5)

32 vote(s)
    78.0%
  1. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    There is no RTX API, RTX is NV's brand name for technology of GPU raytracing, both h/w and s/w. From API standpoint this tech may be accessed via D3D12 (starting from Win10 1809) or Vulkan (via NV's extensions only for now), the driver will use either OptiX or CUDA to handle these calls - although I don't think that this is necessarily correct, it's just what NV is saying but it might be just them pushing their marketing names.

JonasBeckman likes this.
  2. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Hmm I see, I was under the impression they had turned it into a dedicated API for use on their hardware but it seems I was mostly incorrect in that assumption. :)

EDIT: Yeah I see the RTX documentation on NVIDIA's website directly references DXR.

(And yeah OptiX probably via CUDA then.)

EDIT: That helps clear it up, I think the last time I checked this it was mostly a page for reflections, ambient occlusion and shadows as the focus points for ray tracing functionality but I see that has been fleshed out quite extensively now.
    (Plus more features!)

EDIT: Right.
    https://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/nvidia-rtx-real-time-game-ray-tracing

But I see now even this article makes mention of DXR and working via this API. :)
    (And the GeForce SDK and a denoiser, wonder if that's how I fumbled that up.)

Last edited: Sep 1, 2018
  3. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    What I find rather annoying is that DXR seem to be accessible only from D3D12 meaning that you won't be able to use D3D11 with raytracing, no matter what version of Win10 you have. This seems like a rather weird choice on MS part as it seriously limit the number of dev studios which would be willing to experiment with it while not really pushing anything on the OS side as such D3D11 (11.5?) would still be 1809 exclusive.

4. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    If you haven't already made the upgrade, now would be as good an excuse than any. Windows 10 is simply the most reliable and fastest operating system on the market.

I say that despite of the push for store apps, ads and spyware, but my games concur. They simply can't or wouldn't run as fast on Windows 7.

However I haven't tested and can't speak for 1809 and there's always the possibility for regression, but let's wait and see.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2018

5. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

6. CrunchyBiscuit

CrunchyBiscuit Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti
    From my experience, that really depends on what games you play and whether you play them on older or more modern hardware.

Comparing DX9/10/11 to DX12 is a tough one, 'cause you're not just comparing operating systems, but also APIs.

It seems there is no easy answer:

7. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    And for compatibility you also need to support DirectX 11.0 and maybe 11.1 even if the Windows 7 support of it isn't the best or rather it's not completely thorough. Can't just go with 11.4 although depending on the game and what's used by the API it might not really provide that much overall raw performance gains compared to having additional features like HDR and with the feature levels and scalability it can do both but lowest common denominator is usually the concern. :)

There's some enhancements too but nothing that outright alters performance and nothing that affects DirectX 11 itself and how it functions in Windows 10 compared to Windows 7 or 8 other than expanding the feature levels a bit and some system tweaks and optimizations maybe.

And then add in driver support and known issues either with the software like the drivers or the game or the OS itself though this applies as much to Windows 10 as it does to Windows 8 or 7 as well. :)

EDIT: Though I still have a lot to learn about DirectX, the OS and well not much of a chance of trying to learn how the driver is doing things I guess, that more than anything is probably quite under wraps and various NDA's and such.

Anyways raw performance well it's not just a simple answer. :)

8. Klementh

Klementh Guest

GPU:
    Zotac 1060 3GB
  9. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    eh, ive had numerous issues with overlays on dx9 games dropping performance with windows 10 in general. As For the fastest most reliable operating system, its far from it, pretty much any stable debian based distro will easily pull ahead, especially post-meltdown on older hardware. I haven't had a kernel panic in years, even when testing on mainline. cant say the same for windows 10, many a BSOD have been had.

as for DXR, I wonder how older cards will deal with it, and if it will even be usable at all.

10. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Usable, maybe, reasonably performing, hardly.

11. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    will 720p make a comeback? maybe even 480p lmao

fantaskarsef likes this.
  12. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    One thing's certain: Gsync will make Nvidia earn even more if people want to play below 60fps with ray tracing graphics :D

user1 likes this.
  13. Klementh

Klementh Guest

GPU:
    Zotac 1060 3GB
    According to this article DXR is supported on 1803 and later. Is it true?

Has anyone tried to play BF5 with RTX on 1709 or older?

14. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    DXR is available with experimental features enabled.

15. yobooh

yobooh Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 970 G1
    Considering Raytrace performance at the moment. I think I'll start to enjoy the tech on an utopistic "Windows 11" release XD
    Doubt i'll ever spend over 1000€ in a GPU for some reflections at 1080p XD

Last edited: Nov 18, 2018

16. Klementh

Klementh Guest

GPU:
    Zotac 1060 3GB
    Thank you. Is that with 1709 or 1803, or both? And how do you enable that?

17. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Klementh likes this.
  18. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    I'm not aware of any developers using DXR under 1709 with experimental features enabled.

19. maur0

maur0 Master Guru

GPU:
    point of view gtx 570 1gb
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
  20. JASON_Q

JASON_Q Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC RTX 2070
    Ray Tracing works fine on Windows 7 (7601). Vulkan RT in Quake2. Res: 2560x1440 + RTX2070 + 2500K@4.8GHz

https://ibb.co/FW2Z4WQ