Assassin's Creed Odyssey

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Netherwind, Jun 11, 2018.

1. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    You sound very angry that people made a different choice than you. Spartan women out kicking ass is a bit of a stretch, but not so much you can't enjoy the game as one. They were not ordinary women.

signex likes this.
  2. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    Spartin women were trained to fight, and they were educated unlike most of the ancient world.

Any fighting they did was a drop dead last resort, their men were bred to fight.

What really flies in the face of reality, is the fact there were so many high level women politicians, Sparta women were very "progressive" in their time, but they did not have any ability to participate in politics. They were managing their spouses estates when they were away training or fighting, along with tending the children.

But its an asssains creed game, it is not pretending to be historically accurate, And in the current climate it comes off as pandering and spun into a bad light propaganda. Long has the diversity of skin colors in their games bucked the reality, and women routinely can fight as well as men 2 twice their size.

There so much myth around the spartan culture, that is it hard to really call daily life there, But we do know how their politics and society worked, and we have a general idea about the people, with some points debated about them.

Games like this i hope interest people enough to do their own research on the cultures presented in these games. Greek, roman mongol, egyptian, and etc were all fascinating societies, were rapid advances in the basics of humanity and culture were being debated and evolved. And they are learning more as the years go on.

3. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Some of the discrepancies are also covered by the way Origins and Odyssey here are hinting at certain inconsistencies behind the scenes and how things are going with Layla though I guess if the rumors of the next game coming out in 2020 and being set in ancient Rome are true that's where this might culminate.

Spoilers:
    The "real world" being yet another layer of a simulation from the Isu/Ancient Ones which Layla is slowly being able to manipulate and now has more control and power over.
    Which I suppose we'll see how they write that into the next game or the DLC which might set things up for the next installment, probably removing some of the fluff and bloat from the games, extended universe from the novels and comics and maybe ret-conning certain decisions entirely.

Comics in particular seem to have moved the setting from near-doomsday 2012 but still pretty grounded in reality AC1 to what at first looks like the far future science fiction with energy weapons, powered armor and much more.

Though the games have had more and more changes to historical facts as the series has moved from one game to the next in the name of gameplay and just telling a story though some characters get more changes than others.
    Caesar in Origins for example and several of them are completely fictional of course though the team still does a tremendous amount of research for each installment.

EDIT: Granted a in-game explanation and a pretty recent change at that is a bit of a hand-wave and "Wizard did it." but it's there.

I wouldn't mind having the game being a bit different depending on which character you pick though instead of it mostly being a cosmetic choice. :)

4. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    That bit I don't like so much. I get it's not trying to be historically accurate, but it's based on history after all. I don't mind the player being able to be a female as a sort of 'what if a woman broke out of her mould and decided fighting'. It can be fun to explore, which makes the lack of uniqueness to the player characters in Odessey a bit disappointing. But the rest of the setting should adhere to some sort of rules to maintain immersion.

That said I don't really know what Ubi's philosophy is when making these games with regards to history. And I have yet to play this game so. For all I know it's a fantastical take on history, which is fine if you're up front about it. There are monsters in the game are there not?

Besides, there's always the history mode like in Origins right?

5. Death_LV

Death_LV Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4090 GAMING
    hmm yesterday instaled clean windows and reinstal game,and now game runs very good,no more gpu usage 65 70% :mad:now all time 98 99%.:eek:
    benchmark before [​IMG] and now [​IMG]

fluidz likes this.
  6. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    Most of the world would think your female is delusional, you would be arrested or killed mouthing off to nobles and acting like some big shot.

Most women were not educated, never picked up any kind of weapon, most women were not trained like spartan women. Women were barred from holding political office in greece, and the wider world in general women were often kept barefoot and pregnant, and raising children, cooking, washing and fixing clothes, is a full time job in the ancient world. So that is were women were.

If they kept it real your female character would like be told to f off by most people, any time she got into a fight with a spartan man, should should be instantly dead, way she barks orders and stuff, oh someone would have her tossed in a jail at some point or sent to priests to excise the evil out of her, that was still a thing after all.

Only place a spartan woman had that kind of power would be her household, where you had a ton of slaves working your estate, she was the ruler there when her husband was away. Outside there it would not fly.

7. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    Of course. I don't mean true to life realism. Just enough realism to suspend disbelief in a game setting.
    It's a hard sell obviously but they could have done more than the lazy route of the characters being identical more or less. For one, just making the difficulty harder when choosing Kassandra. And while you could beat any man at your level challenging you, you'd be challenged at every turn until word got around that you were no ordinary wench. Stuff like that. Just something to signify a difference.

8. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    Or they could have embraced the full mythology and ran with it.

Make her the daughter of a god say hera, then she is a literal demi god. And you can flip it for the male say he is the son of zeus.

Then she would have enhanced bone, muscle, stamina, speed etc. Make her an agile quick fighter. Make her male god a beast tank that hits like a truck.

And you could do some fun in game play with like people that worship you like a god, vs the people that think this gods stuff is all nonsense and rationality wins the day.

Work that into the world and interacting with those sides and how you treat them part of the gameplay.

9. Death_LV

Death_LV Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4090 GAMING
  10. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    Stone Gargoyle likes this.

11. darrensimmons

darrensimmons Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC RTX4090AMPEXT
    I think this is one hell of a great patch. The gear visual customization is awesome as well as the level cap and cloth physics at 60fps. Also added new quest line which is cool.

Angantyr likes this.
  12. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Lol'd

Damn Malakas everywhere

eGGroLLiO, kens30 and warlord like this.
  13. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    LMAO. It is a bit too much to be honest for game and story, despite nowadays we use this word so often to insult (it means A$$h0l3,d1ckh34d,j3rk etc) :p, but you've spoken the truth, we do say that phrase in my country, translated indeed the phrase is "Malakes exist everywhere" or "we are full of malakes" (plural of malaka(s)) etc. It is kinda like a nickname for any person here, male or female. Hahaha I am gonna share it here, loved it. :D

-Tj- likes this.
  14. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    TVTropes associated it with "jerk" or "wanker" which I found it kinda amusing Alexios/Kassandra would go about in totally British fashion calling everyone and everything a bloody wanker, it might not quite up there with expletives like say Mafia 2 (The F word being used over 800 times throughout the main story missions, Joe being responsible for most of them.) but it certainly pops up frequently enough ha ha.

EDIT: Ah yes this also popped up earlier today.

[​IMG]

Guessing that was intended to be filtered out but the tag is broken, upcoming addition I guess.

EDIT: Suppose Starric of AC Syndicate fame is to blame for the Brit stuff I suppose being THE cartoon villain of the entire series and ultimate British gentleman.

[​IMG]

Borgia might have had the magic ball in the Vatican but this dude has laser limbo and the bath towel of god-mode and he can dance too. :p
    And he's bopping his cousin because that's a thing apparently.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2018
  15. DocStrangelove

DocStrangelove Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080 Super
    Wow i never would have expected this game would make me come back from RDR2. Either that, or RDR2's story wasn't as awesome as i thought it would be.

A bit of both actually. :D

And yes i agree the latest patch has done a lot in terms of atmosphere. No more pausing the game and switching to other stuff because you look like a fool. Finally i can look like an assassin while dealing warrior damage.

16. TR2N

TR2N Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD
    LOL

17. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
    I have never played Syndicate, since the gameplay of the AC series never appealed to me until Origins, but that is simply the most lovable cartoonish British supervillain I have ever seen. What class!

18. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Clocked over 130 hours in the game, and I think I'll take a break now lol. Loving it really, the setting is great, I like how they mixed in mythical stuff with "real" events. Either way, this game is 99% fantasy anyway, so I'm not bothered at all. Graphics wise it's just gorgeous, this and Origins are easily the two AC games in which I took most screenshots by far (and I played them all).

Completed all missions, side missions and uncovered all zones. I still have some question marks here and there, but I decided to not go trough them all at this point, since there's still a lot more DLC yet to come, and I already had myself go through places I've cleared twice, so I'll just wait till everything is out before I start to literally 100% every single question mark on the map. :rolleyes:

DocStrangelove likes this.
  19. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Yep, Origins and Odyssey aren't the worst far as villains go but Syndicate was quite something it's a shame the actual gameplay follows closely to Unity's so there's a city full of detail but ultimately a lot is filler collectibles and the tasks you get are very repetitive though the actual assassination targets do work very well but there's a lot of tedium in-between and many features such as the gang just aren't used well.

Starric and his cohorts do make the highlight for the game however so it has that going for it in-between grand-theft horse carriage and meeting the checklist of historical figures for the era.
    For the protagonists Jacob and Evie are mostly similar but Jacob has a few more skills leaning to close-combat and Evie has more stealth and they use the same combo mechanic as Unity so it's based on combos and finishers more than dealing a set amount of damage though tools and ranged options can make quick work of any tougher opponent that you don't want to engage with up close.
    (Because some of the types are pretty annoying for countering or using firearms and such.)

It can be fun in short bursts but the gameplay has it's downsides so that makes it hard to recommend outright. :)

For Odyssey the size and scope of the game is what works against it most and the split into various major story paths breaks things up a bit where you wrap something up and it looks like you're done but no there's still these other parts plus the gating via leveling which for the later story missions there's a bigger gap for both these and the zones they are located in so it might feel like you have a sense of urgency but no have to at least close in to being around two - three levels below the recommended or you're going to be one-shotted by almost anything and that also goes for the equipment that needs to be upgraded periodically.
    (The level cap upgrade added by the new patch is also a thing since there's no way to turn off the level scaling so it's going to cost a ton of resources to upgrade your armor and weapons and the ship too otherwise enemies in the 60's range will really be a problem as you level up further.)

20. styckx

styckx Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti XC Ultra
    They're both strong contenders of best games of 2018.. Great story telling, insane maps, customization, loads of crap to do, livable breathable worlds to do it in.. You can get lost in either just doing mundane tasks and walking..

DocStrangelove likes this.