1tb SSD or go Bigger HDD?

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by tsunami231, Nov 13, 2018.

1. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I am very tempted to get 1TB 860 Evo 149$ shipped, it would be replacing my 500GB 7 year old barracuda drive, that has smart warning for last 4+ years same warning and it stats in that warning have not changed in that time.

I pretty much just use the 500gb for the 5 games I have installed from steam ( Deus ex HR/MD, Shadow of Mordor,Skyrim SE, Witcher 2 and and 1 Mmm Swtor which dont really play anymore. which about 210 gbs of games, and another 28gbs in software back ups that I use, and "my documents folder that is about 100 gb ( about 80gb of that is my ps2 games ripped into iso format for emulation do to my optical drive is not even connected anymore so i cant easily delete and re rip them).

Which leave me about 150gb left on the drive. now I know the speed of reading is huge vs hdd, my question is.

Do you think 149$ for 1tb 860 evo is worth it? or should i wait some more seeing price do seem to be coming down, When I original bought my 120gb 830 drive i payed 180$ for it. or just got got 2/4tb HDD?

2. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    I wouldn't expect any great Black Friday/Cyber Monday pricing on that. I'd say go for it now.

3. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    That's a decent price - an 860 EVO is going for $219.99 at Newegg up here in Canada ($165 USD), and that's with a 37% discount.

I'd say go for it. Loading games off a SSD is way better than a HDD (I use a 1 TB 840 EVO for all my games).

4. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Crucial MX500 is another good option. Those tend to go on sale more frequently than the Samsungs.

5. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    well the question I guess is the sdd 1TB really with it for games? Longest load times I seen in Skyrim SE with my mods is about 30 seconds, but on the other hand the load times of deux ex md I seen take minute or longer.

and is write to ssd really something I should worry about? i still to this day have all my temp folders and other thing that write alot, set to my hdd.

From price stand point this is cheapest I ever seen 1 tb drive from Samsung. my 830 120gb has been strickly used for OS only all this time

I might love the 830 120 gb speed as far as OS goes, but I did regret the price tag that was attached to it I payed 180+ for when first came out, and while 1TB for 149$ is really cheap for SSD I still think price per gb is still to high for my taste but that price would be more palatable then the 180$ for 120gb

I think I think to much:rolleyes:

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
  6. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    Yes, it is worth it. It won't be as groundbreaking a difference as the OS but it makes a noticeable difference in load times. Write endurance is also pretty high on modern SSDs - I bought my 1 TB drive back in 2014 and it's still going strong (as I said before, I use it for all my games).

7. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Pretty nice for games, especially if you want a PC as silent as possible.
    Also useful for huge programs that do a lot of on demand loading, which is what I mainly use my 1TB SSD for.

8. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I dont know i tempted then again i tempted to buy new ipad 2018 model to replace the ipad 2nd gen i have that is crazy slow by my standards. I cant buy both choice choices

9. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    hmm think i might get the 860 evo 1 TB it just went from 149$ to 129$

10. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    If your os is on an ssd aswell...it will be worth it

11. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    OS is on 830 128gb, Unless I find iPads on sale or something Else I want, I buy the SSD, Then again the A/V I want is on sale for 399$ crutchfield, I would get more use out SSD/iPad though

12. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    nvm Bestbuy felt the need to cancel my order

Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
  13. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    Let me know how it works with Warhammer 2 if u have or Pathfinder kingmaker. My os is 120gb ssd and yeah same as you still have a sata that is around 5 yeard old.

Think am going m2 via my pci e and 250gb which should be enough to install a few games. I only have three on steam right now! Fingers x. Gonna wait till friday though.

14. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    yah well my order was canceled by besybuy for some reason, I did get phone call from some one that sound like they were from india claiming to be bestbuy, asking if I orders 860 evo and playstation which half correct and said nothing about total asking me to verify my email was 2 redflags for me alread, half my order was correct and india support that I could barrely understand, they ask me verify my email I told them I wasnt gona give to them that so to I told them tell me what email they had they didnt want to.

Apparently it was a legit call, but fact they sound like they was from india and got half my order correct I just hung up, minutes later I got email about it being canceled.

I then called bestbuy to rip into them about that, First cause I was getting call MN from some that sounded like they were from india, 2nd cause they got sight my order wrong 3rd cause I could barely under stand them at that point red flag were already up, so there was no way in hell i was gona verify my email to them and they weren't gona verify to me.

So told best buy if they gona call to verify people info, they better have native English speaking person call ( not what sound like person from india which red flag to me seeing the moment I hear someone from india I general just hangup) and they better getting the order info correct not wrong. which was red flags and then some, so this was terrible experience from bestbuy, never order things online from them always went to the store, first time order online from them and it was terrible experience, I knew I should just bought it from Amazon even though Amazon was charging more for the Final Fantasy game.

I wont bother reorder anything till this mess is clear up from my bank, if I order again, I might just do it threw Amazon.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2018