Review: XFX Radeon RX 590 Fatboy 8G

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 16, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    We review the Fatboy from XFX, the Radeon RX 590 is in the house and what will it be? What GPU will sit underneath that hood, Polaris? Of course, it is, but let's talk about that in greater detail in...

Review: XFX Radeon RX 590 Fatboy 8G

Caesar and warlord like this.
  2. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    I'm trying to figure out the purpose of this card...but I cannot.

Shouldn't AMD concentrate on releasing something which is actually good instead of these strange refresh thingys? This card is...nothing. Not good, not bad, not average. I'm sure it will be forgotten quite soon.

warlord, Corbus and Caesar like this.
  3. gydj

gydj Guest

Why such a misandric name?

4. Arbie

Arbie Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    @HH: You repeated this sentence from the PowerColor 590 review:

The cooler being wrongly configured might draw 10 watts alone though.
    That apparently doesn't apply to this XFX board.

5. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    That already was fixed, thank you.

6. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    this is a gap filler product, it has been done in the past. the gtx 285 and hd 4890 come to mind.

its also cheap for amd to do relatively speaking, to get a edge over the 1060

7. Quicks

Quicks Guest

GPU:
    Red Devil RX 470 / 4GB
    Nvidia not supporting their older models anymore? 980TI was king of the hill what is happening here. This bring back thought that they are deliberately hindering the performance for older models?

8. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    They should have made something like a rx560x to compete with 1050ti...now that would sell.

warlord likes this.
  9. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    what are you talking about..

10. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    Well, to me, the RX 590 seems to be a very good fit for 1080P gaming......beating the GTX1060 by a good margin in some games. I guess AMD wants to take the crown off the entry level 1080P title from the GTX 1060, and looking at the numbers, I believe they've achieved this.

11. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Indeed. It have more vram and its faster than 1060 and i dont think gddr5x version would make any difference. If you cant afford it you can always turn back and get a 580, that is what AMD wants.

12. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    These aren't entry level cards. They are mainstream.

13. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    To me they are!:p:D Yeah, I'd used the wrong nomenclature, 1080P is mainstream alright.

14. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    This is the first time a card has been refreshed twice though right? least with it kept at the top of the pile, think the 7970 was also refreshed but AMD did put cards above it. Sorry if im wrong going off the top of my head on this

But its an odd card to bring out personally, either its a gap filler... in which case why bring it out now and not a few months back... or AMD seriously has nothing in the GPU department right now. Which wouldn't be that shocking considering Nvidia prices and not a huge performance increase. Though as i mentioned in one of the other posts anyone who got a 290x/390x got an amazing deal, thoughs cards are still pretty darn powerful considering how old they both are now.

15. Exodite

Exodite Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    No, it's not really an uncommon practice.

The Nvidia G92 comes across as the most egregious offender that I recall offhand, being used in a huge number of products across multiple generations of cards, but the RX 590 really isn't a standout in general. In fact I'd argue that the RX 590 is even a fairly mild offender, as there's actually been some tweaks and a lithography change for the chip in its newest incarnation.

At the end of the day what matters it what we get for our money, and there the RX 590 is delivering sufficiently IMO. It's the most powerful GPU in its price range (Black Friday rebates excluded), has a compelling game bundle and isn't lacking features in a generational context. The only concern, again IMO, would be power usage as there are some midrange systems with cheap/bad and/or low-power PSUs that might have to double check whether or not they can run the card.

Both AMD and Nvidia are guilty of "rebranding" GPUs on multiple occasions, arguably Intel as well if you consider how little has changed architecturally since Sandy Bridge, but the only time it's really a concern is when the rebranded versions aren't supporting the feature sets their new name would imply.

16. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xt
    Power usage is through the roof, I'm still fine with rx480x @ 1440p.
    Perhaps something better next year, we need new cores.

17. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    True intel has basically rebranded since sandy XD few tweeks... RX 590 is a lovely card, though i guess people who have the 480/580 and was looking for an upgrade i guess they gotta wait or switch to Nvidia

That said Vega 64 is currently on sale on scan for £409, Hard not to recommend that card for that price

18. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    290x is equal or faster than rx 480.
    390x is equal or faster than rx 580.
    And they released an even more oc'ed polaris based model to beat 390x at almost everything and named it 590 to absolute replace x90 older series?

I believe AMD needs to deliver more performance. 5,5 years to bring some minor performance improvements for everyone, it is not great.

We desperately need a new breakthrough like ryzen cpus. Please AMD, do another miracle.

Ricepudding likes this.
  19. Exodite

Exodite Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    True, I'm eyeing the £299 V56 myself but even so that's an entirely different price range.

Unfortunately it's been some time since it was possible to upgrade to a new high/midrange card in the $200-$300 class and actually get more for your money.

To me that's the real letdown of the last few years worth of GPU development. Sure, the 1070/1080/1080TI were great cards and you can't argue with the 2000-series performance. Even Vega is finally offering competitive pricing at that end of the spectrum.

But all of these are enthusiast level cards, we're talking single digit percentages of users who can/will spend that much money on a GPU.

What we need is a significant performance bump in the $150 to $300 range, and I hope 7nm can deliver that.

20. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090

Right now the mainstream market is pretty tiny, the RX590 is nice but its basically an overclocked 580, and the GTX 2070 is far too expensive right now... Maybe when the GTX 2060 comes out we might have something more on that range, alternatively a RX 680 if anything like that exists or will exist anytime soon. hard to know... i'm glad i got myself a GTX 1080ti when i did, it looks like the card will last a good while longer since the newer Turning cards don't surpass it that much.

warlord likes this.