The RTX 2080Ti Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Netherwind, Aug 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Steve didn't make any assumptions, just that its categorically incorrect to blame micron for the issue.

BangTail likes this.
  2. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4090
    Geryboy likes this.
  3. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4090
    Yeah no idea, when you selected the GeForce cards in the past it used to just take you to the 20 series cards, not sure why the 2080Ti isn't on the new list they have up.

4. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink

Hi there

I thought so too when I seen these failures are down to VRAM modules from Micron(GTX1070 springs to my mind when people have issues with Micron memories on their GTX1070) but this does look like more likely like IMC, cache issue because if its memory module is faulty then downclocking VRAM should be enough to counter this

I think GPU-Z should be able read what memory GPU is using

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

5. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    @jura11

All 3 of my cards have Micron VRAM, still no issues and I've had one of them for over well over a month now.

I have heavily stress tested all of them :)

6. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    My original card had Micron memory but I never had any artifacts. Card just died. Replacement has Samsung.

7. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

I would check memory used in GPU-Z this should be able read it

Friend run his EVGA RTX 2080 Ti XC with WB from start and both are now failed what I heard from him

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

8. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    As I said there I thought so these failures are down to memories which I don't think is the cause

Friend have two EVGA RTX 2080 Ti XC and both failed, they're 1 month old wgat I know, first card won't boost beyond 1350MHz(previously he run 2115-2150MHz I think and +1200MHz on VRAM) I think and other is artefacting quite badly

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

9. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Has anyone without Micron ram had a card die?

10. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    There are practically no reports of EVGA cards failing on the EVGA forums (just a couple).

Like you, I do not believe this to be memory related.

11. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4090
    Could well be memory controller related, although the artifacts that are shown don't really look like your typical artifacts, more like some sort of debug artifacts.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
    BangTail likes this.
  12. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    1809 is back. Hopefully ray tracing and more importantly dlss is coming soon.

13. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Yeap. BF V RTX patch coming today.

14. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    I'm really hoping we get some kind of definitive answer on this, and soon.

I'm happy my cards are ok but there is a part of me that is a little worried that there is a possibility, however small, that they might still go wrong.

@Geryboy

I was already on it from when it first deployed - run 'winver', maybe you already have it.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
    anxious_f0x and Geryboy like this.
  15. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    Why do you keep defending these cards ,there video cards a tool for fun,anyway EVGA cards fail in spectacular fashion
    https://hardforum.com/threads/evga-2080-ti-xc-burst-into-flame.1971627/

Just added one image and no I did not cherry pick the image.
    [​IMG]

16. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    I wasn't defending anything, I was simply stating a fact, there are comparatively few reports of EVGA 20xx cards going wrong, when you can show me evidence to the contrary, I'll be happy to look at it.

What you have shown me is one EVGA card that was damaged, what does that prove exactly, that every EVGA card is bad?

By those standards every launch of every GPU ever made was a complete failure :rolleyes:

Do you seriously believe that if EVGA (or any other company) knew that their cards were likely to start fires inside people's cases that the cards wouldn't be instantly recalled.

That is not something you take a 'wait and see' attitude with, if someone were to lose their life as a result of EVGA's negligence, that's the end of EVGA and there could even be criminal charges if it was later revealed that prior knowledge of the defect had been swept under the rug.

Did you even read that, doesn't sound like I am sold on the fact that there isn't a potential for problems, does it.

Hardware goes wrong, if these cards go wrong on me, I'll be annoyed, I'll get an RMA and I'll move on, it won't be the first time and I'll wager, it won't be the last.

I just got through RMAing a Logitech G903 that quit on me after less than 2 months. Logitech immediately replaced it with a new one, no fuss, nothing to lose any sleep over.

It seems to me that the people who are most interested in parroting the supposed failure of these cards are people who don't own them and/or people who support competing brands, which is rather telling, don't you think ;)

Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
    tensai28 likes this.
  17. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    NVidia have admitted a QC screw up with sub quality component(s).
    But its open ended, no word on what/which.
    Plenty of speculation it is due to memory issues, and with some foundation.

BangTail likes this.
  18. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Yah, the admission is a good first step (not that we didn't know there were some issues) but exact details are more desirable at this point.

19. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    At a certain number of failures they have no choice but to admit something went wrong. No big magic here fellow gurus :)
    But it's pretty embarrassing that the FE cards are more expansive than AIB partner models, which probably have less failures. Another hint at a "rushed" product release.
    That said, I hope all fellow gurus that suffer from such issues get kick ass overclocking replacement cards!

20. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.