Intel Releases Core i9 9980XE processor

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 13, 2018.

1. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    As much as I enjoy badmouthing Intel, I don't blame people who buy Intel CPUs. It's their money to use however they wish to use it. Of course some people would buy them due to ignorance, still thinking there's no realistic alternative, but those people don't dwell here at Guru3D. Guru3D regulars know what they are doing, whether they buy AMD or Intel. They have their reasons, and those reasons are no worse than another person's. I may call RTX 2080 Ti ridiculously expensive, but some people here make so much money that for them buying one would be the same as another person of lesser means buying RX 560, so there's nothing strange about getting one or three. It's all relative. That's life.

Koniakki and BangTail like this.
  2. Koniakki

Koniakki Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    Intel chooses to believe it's 2014-2016 still.

And one can not but wonder why they not use KBL or CL cores instead of SKL in the 9980XE?

3. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    It's like 3% faster than it's predecessor. Not good.

4. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    by the looks of it the tech media is crucifying intel over this product.

5. HWgeek

HWgeek Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6200 Turbo Fotce @500/600 8x1p
    Is it Intel Going AMD's Bulldozer way? like pumping frequencies and raising TDP to compete? Remember FX8150->FX8370->FX 9590 ?

6. MegaFalloutFan

MegaFalloutFan Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4090 24Gb
    Lets be honest, there is competition trough AMD fanboy eyes only, Intel cant sustain the demand, just before 9 series release 8700K was sold 100+ EUROS more then retail price, Intel cant make enough CPUs for everyone and AMD fanboys talk about competition.
    I pre-ordered 9900K on amazon US the day they had the listing, weeks before the release and one month after it was still not shipped so i had to cancel, but only because we have Tons of them locally [and only 50$ more expensive then US price+shipping+import tax].
    Last time Intel had real competition was during late P3 and P4 era with Athlon, I remember how they were lowering the prices, not now thou.

Glottiz likes this.
  7. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    You seem to be confusing "competition" with "losing". Intel isn't losing to AMD (well, not entirely anyway - AMD's marketshare is growing) and there are valid indisputable reasons to choose Intel over AMD. However, that does not mean the opposite can't be said either.
    So yes, there is in fact competition, and even Intel fans will tell you that.

8. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    No doubt. It's a completely unnecessary product and brings nothing new to the table. Worse still, they've barely changed the pricing at all, still selling their Core i9s at extortionate prices (not that they have much of a choice, with the 14nm shortage and all). I remember reading on reddit that Intel has basically given up on HEDT and this release essentially proves it. I think most of their focus is now going towards the server and high-end gaming markets.

Intel's current lineup is pretty strong. The question is where they go from here and, more crucially, how they plan to counter the upcoming 7nm products. Will they continue to milk 14nm for all its worth or will they finally be able to fix the yield issues on the 10nm process? It's also obvious that they will have to go MCM like AMD, who has a lead with IF. In all, AMD seems to have a long-term strategy planned while Intel seems largely reactionary with no clear-cut plan ahead (it used to be so simple when tick-tock was still around - I admired Intel back then).

9. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    While silly claims such as "Intel is dead" or "Intel is on it's way out' are terribly exaggerated, make no mistake that AMD is actively 'pissing in Intel's pond'.

Intel is a behemoth with an almost infinite reserve of cash and resources but the kind of complacency they have been exhibiting for the past several years is catching up to them.

Obviously, they are not going to disappear overnight but these changes take time and there is already verifiable evidence that AMD is making advances in market share.

I don't doubt that many people are still going to buy Intel (myself included for anything gaming related), but even that could change if AMD keep advancing.

When I see products like the 9980XE (which is basically just a rebadged 7980XE), I am not impressed and I know I am not the only one and believe me when I tell you, I am no fanboy of any company, let alone AMD.

In the final analysis, I don't have any problem with AMD's resurgence, it will only be good for all of us in the long run.

Corrupt^ and chispy like this.
  10. MegaFalloutFan

MegaFalloutFan Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4090 24Gb

9980XE is just one product among many for specific crowd, to show that they can and if you want it, here it is, expensive sports car.
    Im sure AMD took some clients from Intel but if we look at both companies side by side, AMD is fabless and even Nvidia is bigger then AMD, Intel has tens of different FABs across many countries.
    Competition is always good and im all for it, but some people are delusional when they talk about Intels demise or even comparing them vs AMD, they not in the same league.
    Its like there are many Chinese phone brands that people buy but Samsung/Apple are still number one by huge margin.

BangTail likes this.

11. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    I think I was pretty clear about that, people who say Intel is dying are only fooling themselves, I am certainly under no illusion about that myself.

All I'm saying is that AMD is making progress that Intel did not anticipate and Intel have conceded some of their market share due to that oversight.

MegaFalloutFan likes this.
  12. MegaFalloutFan

MegaFalloutFan Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4090 24Gb
    First Ryzen2 has to come out and beat Intels 9 series, the 29% faster prediction is nice and all but we dont know how its going to be
    Last I heard AMD has issues with AVX and AVX2, Intel can step down AVX512 from their HEDT series to the mainstream to make the CPUs more lucrative [I know its unique feature but it will slowly be adopted if comes to the mainstream, for example every Emulation fanatic wants it, it boosts PS3 emulator speeds].
    If Intel cant deliver 10nm on time and Ryzen2 will be as fast as Intels 9/10 series, they can always bury AMD with aggressive pricing, even selling at loss, they have the money.

13. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    We shall see what happens next :)

14. MegaFalloutFan

MegaFalloutFan Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4090 24Gb
    Competition is good, I personally think that VIA should be revived [who remembers Cyrix?] and if Intels GPUs are good enough to byte off Nvidia, we wont see 1200USD video cards any more.
    2 companies are not enough competition, 3 is the minimum for healthy competition and price fighting, if NAND was monopolized by 1-2 companies we wouldn't have current prices
    I also heard Intel needs AMD especially in EU, otherwise they get sued for monopolizing the market, or something like that

15. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    Can you put them all on the same socket?
    What an asshole...

Venix and carnivore like this.

16. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    Well to people that say rip intel , i do not think they say it in a literal sense , i mean AMD survived bulldozer and slowlly crawlling out of the dept created from it, now if bulldozer was not enough to kill AMD imagine what it will take intel to "die" maybe... a bulldozer type cpu with a geforce fx type intergraded gpu and return to rambus ram....for 15 years straight...

17. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti

Intel is dead, and they only have themselves to blame.,

18. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    For Intel to die, you need Intel to stop doing everything, wait 10 years and then shoot it in head before it turns into zombie.

Can't kill a whale with single punch... unless we talking One Punch Man.

Solfaur likes this.
  19. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    intel are so dead they are re-releasing 6th gen processors because they have nothing to compete with.

20. Killian38

Killian38 Guest

GPU:
    I'm not so sure Intel has that much Real Cash. They have a ton of property and employees. I can see what the market says Intel has. I can see the cash flow intel has. All I want is a 9900k and I can't order it. I feel like intel is broke.

Edit: I take that back. Found one for US $ 850.00 bucks. Instock!...... No way in Heck i'm buying that at that price? Seems to me Intel is hard up for cash.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAFXN8D92370

I only want the 9900k for spell checking spped.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2018