Switch back to Win7

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by cryohellinc, Nov 2, 2018.

1. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    Gave it a spin on Win10 now. Indeed frames were much higher at the same settings. Highest I saw was 104, lowest 80. Average guesstimate 85.
    Not bad at all.

However, on normal settings screen tearing was a big issue. Never noticed it on 7.

Carfax likes this.
  2. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    Yeah, DX12 will be a huge benefit to your CPU provided it's been implemented properly. The main reason why DX12 has a bad (and undeserved) rep is because so many developers have resorted to half measures when implementing it in their games. It's kind of similar to how DX11 ran slower than DX9 when developers first started using it, but even worse because DX12 has a much steeper learning curve than DX11.

Amaze likes this.
  3. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    I was very disappointed to find out that Hitman 2 doesn't support DX12, despite DX12 having become good in Hitman 1. I had generally better performance in DX12 because the crowded areas were hammering my CPU.

4. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    dx12 was frequently talked about as being worse in hitman.

5. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    Initially it was, but after some driver optimizations and patches, DX12 became the preferred pathway for Hitman. I'm surprised that I/O didn't continue to build on that progress for Hitman 2.

6. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    DX12 was worse on GeForces up until NV has updated their feature support tiers for Maxwell and Pascal after which it became almost universally better. And on GCN/Turing it was faster than DX11 in pretty much every resolution even on ultra settings.
    It is very weird that they've removed it from H2.

7. adabiviak

adabiviak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 980Ti
    ClassicShell has largely "fixed" Win10 for me (I'm fine with Win10 "under the hood", but the stock user interface is an absolute deal breaker)... what does winaero add?

What issues does ClassicShell cause? It could be that I'm not using those features, but I have never used Win 10 without it.

Deleted member 213629 likes this.
  8. quantum hacker

quantum hacker Guest

GPU:
    GTX 275 - 896 MB
    No man. Keep Windows 10 on laptop to use on the net and stuff and just build a small rig solely for Win 7 preservation, not for hardcore net browsing and business use. I don't think it's worth going back at this point for a main rig unless you need Win 7. However, I use Win 7 still and it is fine, but can't see its mainstream use lasting too much longer due to the fast paced business world. I wouldn't call it legacy for myself though yet because I would gain nothing from moving to Win 10 for my use since I'm not in need for new software that somehow can't run on 7.

Calling Win 7 old and "decrepit" is just lame hyperbole, probably uttered by Microsoft lackies as a strategy to convince you that you need to upgrade, when in reality Win 7 is fine for many still. Security is the only real issue and that can be mitigated just by not browsing unless needed. This same type of nonsense was uttered in relation to using 4k panels as they became popular. The claim was that Win 7 scaling made the system somehow unusable, so best to upgrade to 10 if getting a 4k monitor. But in reality, Win 7 is really nice looking on a 4k 27in panel, especially since the Areo theme, which seemed to waste space on lower resolutions with window padding and rounded corners, looks better than ever and proportioned really well at the higher ppi of 4k/ 27in. None of the applications without gui scaling are too small at all and just seem better smaller since they don't waste screen space, especially like the applications such as evga precision that look huge, unscaled at 1080p. Anyway, I don't spend time "reading" Adobe toolbars, I just need to see the place to click, and it is fine. Web browsers can scale text you actually spend time reading exactly the same in 7 and 10. Only people with true vision problems would have issues using Win 7 at 4k 27in, and they likely would have issues using any computer at that point.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
  9. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    Oh yeah, the Spectre patches have a notably larger performance hit on Windows 7 than Win10.

Carfax likes this.
  10. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    That's your solution to Windows 7's security woes? o_O Not browsing unless needed? LMAO! :D

11. Rolling back to Windows 7.... basically click-bait on here at this point, and I clicked. :(

12. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Thanks for your replies guys. As I wrote above, I have dual-boot now with Win 7 and Win 10.

Win 7 + Classic theme is mega nostalgic, love it for work I do, but as many pointed out time goes on and still like it or not we have to use Win 10 as daily driver.