The RTX 2080Ti Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Netherwind, Aug 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    only FE cards, what other vendors do is up to them at manufacturing time.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  2. holystarlight

holystarlight Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4090
    ah, I expected as much. I just tried another FE from a friend, and it had the same whine wasn't as bad with the stock cooler on but its noticable. I wonder if 3rd party cards suffer as badly as FE card with coil whine.

3. SSJBillClinton

SSJBillClinton Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX4090 MSI GX Trio
    Starting to think I got a dud card (Zotac AMP 2x8pin), found my new stability benchmark since 3dmark and everything else works fine. Darksiders 2 Deathinitive Edition, run at 4k uncapped FPS and watch the ingame opening scene with the crow.
    Cannot get through this for the life of me, unless I knock the power limit % down on afterburner regardless of if there's an overclock or not, PC will always restart without any error messages. Upon rebooting after this crash, I've also noticed some brief artifacting on my second monitor too. My PSU is a Corsair HX 1000w 80+ Platinum and I've never had any issues like this before with my previous 1080Ti, any ideas?

4. SSJBillClinton

GPU:
    RTX4090 MSI GX Trio
    Yeah same results no matter what, thanks for testing for me though. With the nature of the crash (no bsod, just system turns off and immediately restarts), could this be a psu issue if its entirely related to me tweaking the power limit? I couldn't be topping out a 1000w psu with a 7820x 4.6ghz + this card could I..?

5. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    My first thought was potential power issue.
    Either PSU no longer pulling its weight or a bad connection.
    But that would be for any other card than the RTX series.
    It probably more likely to be a card failure but its worth trying another PSU if you can.
    Perhaps use 2 in tandem to test with.

SSJBillClinton likes this.
  6. SSJBillClinton

GPU:
    RTX4090 MSI GX Trio
    Yeah, I'll tinker about inside and see if a cable has come loose at all, failing that I'll try another PSU. The site I bought it from dropped the price by £200 since I bought it anyway so a returns RMA would be in my favour regardless. :p

Cheers!

7. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Which PSU? If you are talking about the Corsair HX1000i, then check the unit to see if it's set to multirail or single rail mode.

8. SSJBillClinton

GPU:
    RTX4090 MSI GX Trio
    It is the HX1000i. I assume that's done through software? I've never had the USB bit hooked up as I've never had an issue like this before and there doesn't appear to be a switch like older units, so I'm pretty clueless. Is multirail better and what I should be aiming for? (Based on my logic that multi = better...)

9. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Correct. I'm thinking you are using 1 rail to supply the power to the card while in multirail mode. Single rail mode would be able to supply more amperage to whatever needs it.

10. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Why all this power and Amps questioning lately? 780TI or 980TI OC'ed used more power and there wasn't such concern back then..

Just make sure you don't use one psu 12v connector (spliter) for both pcie connections on gpu., well I have no idea why would anyone want to use that in the first place.. And yet I saw a few doing it here lol :D

11. SSJBillClinton

GPU:
    RTX4090 MSI GX Trio
    I'm just gonna keep quiet and go away for a couple of hours since I think something completely unrelated to this may be afoot. Cough.

-Tj- likes this.
  12. SSJBillClinton

GPU:
    RTX4090 MSI GX Trio
    Success! Everything seems to be stable. I dunno what the point in the bundled PCI-E cables splitting off into another one with is if it causes issues like this? I used 1 just for cable neatness :(. Gonna try bios mod for 130% power and see if I still get issues.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions guys.

Edit: 130% power target working fine, seems to all be sorted now. What a pain in the arse haha.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
    -Tj-, Mufflore, fantaskarsef and 3 others like this.
  13. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    haha I did it right all the time without knowing, just because I thought "ehhh what the hell, if you got the cables free" :D
    Corsair HX1200i here, so I would have been able to run into trouble otherwise :D

SSJBillClinton and -Tj- like this.
  14. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    If you are single rail, and you're cabling is sufficient, you can use 1 cable. Otherwise, use 2. Simple. :) (If using 1 cable, and the cable itself is very warm, or even hot, then the cable can't handle the load)

15. SSJBillClinton

GPU:
    RTX4090 MSI GX Trio
    I mean, with that all said and done I am experiencing this flickering artifacting on my second monitor while idling at desktop, which occasionally flickers up on my primary monitor. Games are completely stable and exhibit no artifacting. Tried with both HDMI > HDMI and DVI > DP and still get the same issues.
    RMA ahoooy~
    https://my.mixtape.moe/zixmib.webm

16. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Get the camera rolling before it happens, many Youtube hits await you!!

17. SSJBillClinton

GPU:
    RTX4090 MSI GX Trio
    MUM GET THE CAMERA

But really, I have a feeling it's possible I've sort of borked this card by running it with my previous single power cable for so long. :x

18. SSJBillClinton

GPU:
    RTX4090 MSI GX Trio
    Oh right, can't see any mention or acknowledgement of such an issue apart from power draw on the most recent drivers notes though... hmm.

19. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    Hey Gurus, I just (finally!) got an email from EVGA letting me know that I've moved from the 1st part of the Step-Up queue to part 2 where they are doing some kind of processing and approval. My question is if anybody here has one of the 2 slot 2080Ti XC cards and isn't having issues with it.

https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=11G-P4-2282-KR

This is the only model available through Step-Up, so even though I'm unsure whether or not they will approve my request to go from 1080Ti to 2080Ti, I'm worried that this is one of the models suffering from the various things being reported. Can somebody chime in? Also, is anybody running a Windows version older than 1809? Does the 2000 series require Win 10 1809 or just the DXR stuff?

20. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    I have 3 of them and have had no problems whatsoever.

I believe you only need 1809 for RT stuff which is not available in any games as of yet.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.