CRU (Custom Resolution Utility) Tips, Tricks and Monitors OC (LCD/LED/CRT)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by OnnA, Oct 3, 2016.

1. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    First try to read OP.
    All you need to read paper for the monitor.
    You need values that Your monitor can handle.
    Then If can, add freesync range first try 40-60Hz

2. Bengalosos

Bengalosos Guest

GPU:
    R9 380 / GTX 1060
    I now got the HDMI support to work with lower resolutions but the Radeon Settings won't recognize the monitor as Freesync compatible. I tryed pretty much any Settings i coud think off. I also tryed out some DP to DVI Adapters without any luck just more Problems.
    Maybe I am overlooking something.
    Dose maybe someone have Expirence with the Qnix 2710 and Freesync?

Here are my current Settings:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
  3. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    IMO it's too old, and can't handle the bandwidth.
    But you may try to go for lowered Hz then try -> 1440p but with 50Hz (just for test)
    Try to preserve bandwidth, and see if it help.

4. Bengalosos

Bengalosos Guest

GPU:
    R9 380 / GTX 1060
    Right now I am only runing on 1080p 60Hz oatherwise i cant get HDMI support to work. So i am only running at round about 150MHz. But i dont get Freesync to show up in the RadeonSettings.

Do i need an older version of the AMD drivers?
    Or coud it be that my r9 380 cant hadle Freesync via DVI-D?

5. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Hard to say TBF, your monitor have only DVI? or HDMI & DP as well?

6. Bengalosos

Bengalosos Guest

GPU:
    R9 380 / GTX 1060
    It has HDMI and DVI but the HDMI dosen't support bandwidth over 250MHz.
    And in the dokumentaion it also states that not all Resolutions are supportet over HDMI and that it is better to use the DVI Input.

But i already tryed to get Freesync to work over HDMI at lower resolution. Here the Radeon Setting recognized the Monitor as Freesync compatible, but as soon as Freesync kicks in the Screen goes black.

7. kobatz

kobatz Guest

GPU:
    rx580 8gb
    Great work guys.
    I got rx580 and asus vs278q monitor but turning freesync over hdmi does not change much.
    Read whole threads and could not find answer will it work over displayport or is it hdmi exlussive?
    Could not activate freesync over dp connection.
    Windmill demo does not change anything turning on-off freesync in settings.

Cheers and keep up the great work

8. WareTernal

WareTernal Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 7800 XT
    Is this about CRU? Sorry If I'm missing something.
    From what I can see the ASUS VS278Q does not support Freesync. AFAIK CRU can't add Freesync support to monitor that lacks it.

Yes, Freesync can work over DisplayPort.
    Some Freesync monitors may lack DP input, or lack Freesync support over HDMI.

https://www.amd.com/en/products/freesync-monitors

9. kobatz

kobatz Guest

GPU:
    rx580 8gb
    What, whole point is adding freesync on monitors that don't support it via cru.
    As i can see many people made it and say it's working so i wanted to try also.

Cheers

10. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Sometimes, Monitor is really good (Quality in mind) that it can support FreeSync (Yes it is working)
    OC/Tweaks or Mods are for us to try it out, it can be beneficial or it just won't work.

You need to think, try and have your own opinion, it is only What can be done through CRU Tweak Utility.
    Always read Monitor White Paper -> it helps a lot.
    Thanks to this i know i can have OC up to 75Hz on my Monitor, Yes 10Bit & FreeSync need a lot of bandtwidth (i just need better cable ;))

Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
    kobatz likes this.

11. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    Some monitors just have a scaler that implements the DisplayPort or HDMI variable refresh rate standard, but they are not sold as freesync monitors and don't have an EDID that states freesync support. If you happen to have such a monitor, then it will work. If the scaler is not compatible, then it will not work.

kobatz and OnnA like this.
  12. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Exactly.

kobatz likes this.
  13. kobatz

kobatz Guest

GPU:
    rx580 8gb
    Ah, that makes alot of sense and clears alot of minds. Tnx for that
    One more question please, Can i try dp to hdmi cable for higher bandwith or i need to use converters(hdmi to dp active dongle) in first post?

Ps. That should be written in op post about freesync on non freesync monitors couse i have read all about i could find on net and still didn't understand will it work and what i really need ;)

Cheers

14. qb7598

qb7598 Guest

GPU:
    r9 390
    Wait, so this doesn't work on non freesync monitors? Cause i enabled it on my non freesync monitor and the option for freesync is enabled now in my amd driver settings.

15. WareTernal

WareTernal Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 7800 XT
    That sounds almost like you're not sure you can see the obvious difference of it working...
    Only you can see if it works for you or not.
    What RealINC said does make sense, but I think some only to trick the drivers to allow the FreeSync option and it does nothing.
    I tried it out and it allowed me to enable freesync, but AMD Windmill demo would only allow 60FPS, the lower options as well as the 'sweep' option were absent. The Nvidia Pendulum demo caused black screen when it tried to go below 60FPS.
    So it would 'look like' it was on and working in Windmill, but it's just 60FPS+VSYNC.
    Use one of those demos with the 'test pattern' and see for yourself. Just having it turned on in the drivers means nothing if the monitor doesn't actually support.

16. BetA

BetA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    G1-GTX980@1400Mhz
    i guess im out of luck?
    when i use CRU to add some resolutions they work just fine, and i would love to use them also..
    BUT, my monitor starts flashing an info every 5 seconds that its out of range...

i mean the picture is fine, and its working, its just that freaking monitor OSD that tries to give me a bad day..

anyone knows if theres a way around this. Or better, anyone who has also an monitor wich starts to OSD you when you go to an (not supportet) resolution, and found a way to shut his OSD up so he can enjoy the Joys of Monitor OCing :p

17. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    you might get lucky if press the power button and spam the menu button while the monitor is booting, Ive had a couple monitors where you could glitch the osd to prevent it from popping up.

Some monitors allow you to turn off limits in debug mode aswell.

But the only true way around this is to flash a new edid with extended limits directly to the monitor, which is risky and may require a hardware modification, kind of defeats the purpose of cru.

BetA likes this.
  18. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    What are you trying to do exactly? Can you give an example of one resolution that causes this? Have you tried different timings? (LCD standard/native/reduced.)

BetA likes this.
  19. BetA

BetA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    G1-GTX980@1400Mhz
    yes i did try..
    lowering HZ and other timings but its the same in the end..That annoying Warning..

the Thing is, if i use anything other then the NATIVE max. resolution of the Monitor i get an annoying Pop up from the Monitor OSD that says "Warning OVERSCAN", that poops up every 30 secĀ“s or so...

The Resolution made with CRU work just fine, and it looks like the monitor is also capable of it..But like i sayd, the POP uP is rather annoying...

the Monitor is an old Philips 190CW. i know its an old turd an all, but its still working an really good to use as a second monitor to read stuff...But 900p is really not ideal..It looks way better with 1920x1200 but theres teh OSD Warning again :)

I did found teh service menu, but theres nothing to change the behavior of the OSD or Overscan. (i did found an hiden Black level option tool wich really is nice haha...really nice blacks now)

Greetz :D

20. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    You can't display higher resolutions on LCD monitors. It has 900 pixels per column and 1440 pixels per line. What you're trying to do is just not possible. Some monitors would accept that a higher resolution signal and would then downscale the image internally. LCD monitors can only display one resolution. Any other resolution needs to be scaled to it. However, that has zero advantage on the desktop, and is exactly the same as using NVidia DSR or AMD VSR. So use that instead. But again, it has zero advantage on the desktop. It's only useful for games.