I am sad about the 2080 Ti

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Lynart, Sep 19, 2018.

1. Lynart

Lynart Guest

GPU:
    Geforce 670
    Just gotta say, this is a really flawed comparison.

You can spend $30,000~ for a GSXR1000R and it will destroy 99% of all supercars in a straight line. Cornering becomes subjective to the operator so I won't go into that.

And if you really want to destroy literally every single supercar, there is the Kawasaki H2R at $60,000~

So in terms of performance value, a Lambo, Ferrari, Mclaren, and others are good comparisons to the horrible performance/price ratio of the 2080 Ti.

2. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    From what I've seen, it will dip below 60 FPS in certain scenarios and settings. It is a better 4K/60 card than a 1080 Ti, but not the perfect or ideal one.

IMO, people are not buying a 2080 Ti for its performance - they are simply buying it for their e-peen. It is a vanity purchase, like any other vanity purchase - done only to satisfy one's ego and pride.

3. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    Most people buying RTX series are gamers I suppose. Even if the half of them are benching only or epeening it's their call.

But they have any right to enjoy the fluidity and frames they deserve. It is not their fault that 10 series are trash for now and the future. OK, 20 series are not perfect but why the flame? Are console peasants who change every gaming model and TV less egoists?

4. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    My 4K performance is very much a serious issue, and should be declared a crisis. :)

fantaskarsef, Solfaur and BangTail like this.

5. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    I hear ya :D

6. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    I have games that couldn't keep 60fps with my 1080ti at 4k that now do. Nothing wrong with that. I sold my 1080ti, got a decent amount back and only had to pay half the price for the 2080ti. Also got a free MSI vigor GK80 and clutch gm70 with my purchase. My card is running at over 2ghz and I've yet to see a frame drop on really anything. People getting drops below 60 are probably setting AA too high, have other system issues or are running FE cards without overclocking.
    This would be true maybe if the performance was actually bad and all the buyers were around 13 years old.

BangTail and insp1re2600 like this.
  7. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    All analogies aside, it really doesn't matter.

The cards cost what they cost, regardless of what a car, a yacht or a nuclear submarine costs.

You either buy them or you don't.

This whole debate has become stale as I think most everyone here agrees that they are overpriced but luxury items are always overpriced (that's why they are luxury items).

I think the point some of us have been making by using expensive cars as an example is that you don't walk into the Ferrari showroom expecting to walk out with a car for under a certain amount of money and similarly, you don't expect to pick up the world's fastest GPU without paying a premium.

8. JaxMacFL

JaxMacFL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 4090 OC
    You don’t buy an RV travel coach if you are worried about the price of gas.

insp1re2600 and BangTail like this.
  9. CrazyGenio

CrazyGenio Master Guru

GPU:
    rtx 3090
    The only reason i buy nvidia is because amd fanboys are more annoying and salty, they love showing how their gpus are better than their nvidia counterparts in any way possible, they don't even realize their gpu come way later and they need to catch up with drivers several months after their release, i was not going to buy a nvidia card in a long time, and have my 1080 run at least 2 more years, but after visiting some forums and reading some stuff, i going to purchase a 2080ti with a happy face.

10. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    What sort of logic is this?

Darren Hodgson and BangTail like this.

11. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Well, his name is 'CrazyGenio', I guess we shouldn't be surprised ;)

fantaskarsef likes this.
  12. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    I feel salty

fantaskarsef likes this.
  13. JaxMacFL

JaxMacFL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 4090 OC
    Stay frosty. :>)

14. TheKid76

TheKid76 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    Nvidia better than AMD

15. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    I was really hoping that this series would be worthwhile for gaming specifically at a reasonable price since I held out from buying a 1080ti, yet here we are.

I'm likely going to grab a 1080ti now and place on water at my first maintenance cycle in a few months. Sucks.. I had high hopes to jump to 20 series, but Nvidia (within their right, no argument) decided to go this direction. I think its admirable, as there are clearly big benefits with RayTracing and I like where the tech is going.. I just dont like essentially paying hundreds more for a card that won't really add much value right now where the tech is. And, knowing that the extra is going directly back to them to fund their development. No thanks.

max2 and Solfaur like this.

16. quickkill2021

quickkill2021 Guest

GPU:
    1080ti sli Poseidon
    Congratulations, this is the most low iq statement I have ever read on this forum. AMAZING

insp1re2600 likes this.
  17. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Solfaur likes this.
  18. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    "Weak demand"

why they lie for lol?

19. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    It may seem "weak" if one would look at total sales but since shops get such small batches and there are a bunch of enthusiasts out there wanting those cards it may seem that "omg, they run out of stock instantly, sooo popular, it's crazy mon" and that's true but on the other hand it's not difficult to get something sold out if you only have 10 units :) It's way more difficult to get something sold out if you have 100 or even 1000 units and I'm pretty sure that the bigger stores buy in the thousands and not tens. So we have this illusion that the 2080Ti sells like crazy but it's only true since the availability is so tiny. I personally don't think that the 2080Ti would sell out if availability was great or even good.

I remember that when the 1080Ti was release there was also a shortage but since the card was correctly priced, more people could afford it and therefore it continued to sell really well for many months after it's release.

Solfaur and fantaskarsef like this.
  20. xrodney

xrodney Master Guru

GPU:
    Saphire 7900 XTX
    Are you seriously saying that nvidia drivers are better? It might be true 2-3 years ago, but since 2017 Nvidia drivers are getting really bad and practically every WHQL driver released by Nvidia required fix for fix for fix to be actually usable or stop killing hardware.

Enjoy your 2080ti, but I am sticking with 1080ti as DXR is simply not worth $600+ premium.

Solfaur likes this.