The Witcher 3

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by morbias, Jun 6, 2016.

1. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    Seen it many times. I have a mod that disables fast travel, so I get to go everywhere manually and I spotted the ghost ship multiple times. Always wondered what it is about.

2. Martigen

Martigen Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti SLI
    Anything beyond 32 on search steps for SMAA isn't going to be noticeable while incurring a larger performance hit. You also want to use Color edge detection not luminance to find the most edges. If you have depth buffer access you can add predication with the preprocessor definition 'SMAA_PREDICATION=1' but do this with Color edge (don't set 'Depth'), it's designed to work with color.

And yes adaptive sharpen is MUCH better than lumasharpen, but also much more demanding (and the default strength can probably be toned down a little for most applications).

Yeah I've found that FXAA does a better job overall than SMAA for jaggies including specular, but of course as you say is blurrier. However if you set maximum quality in the preprocessor definitions with 'FXAA_QUALITY__PRESET=39' (yes, note the double underscore) it's actually pretty decent, and then you add a little sharpening and often the result is better than SMAA.

3. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    There's the new depth sharpening effects as well for ReShade although I have not spent much time with them myself but I like the effect so far although they do require a functional depth buffer hook so in some games it might take a bit of work to set that up first.

Main one is part of the ReShade repository itself now the other two effects are separate and found in a thread on the ReShade forums with the very first shader not using depth and then the others make use of this to improve the effect further but it takes some tweaking to get it right whereas the other sharpening effects tend to be easier to just toggle on and they just work. :)
    (On that note I think adaptive sharpen was updated a short while ago on the shader repository on Github for ReShade.)

EDIT: Ah there they are.
    https://reshade.me/forum/shader-presentation/3954-new-luma-sharpen

And this should be the shader on Github.
    https://github.com/crosire/reshade-shaders/blob/master/Shaders/FilmicAnamorphSharpen.fx
    (And Luma was updated about two months back. https://github.com/crosire/reshade-shaders/blob/master/Shaders/LumaSharpen.fx with adaptive sharpening updated about 5 months ago. https://github.com/crosire/reshade-shaders/blob/master/Shaders/AdaptiveSharpen.fx )

4. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Since Steam had a sale, I bought it there (2nd time I buy it, really want to support those guys.) But the problem is that the game starts up with a black screen on my 4K TV and then CTDs. When I switch back to my monitor it starts at 3440x1440 without any problem. I tried launching the game at 2560x1440 on my monitor and then switch over to the TV which worked...but when I selected 4K the game froze. Not sure what's going on here?

Playing on my monitor also isn't hassle free since I get some texture corruption/flashing every now and then.

Anyone got an idea? When I had the GoG version installed it did work at 4K, so maybe there is some odd conflict with the settings? I was amazed that the Steam version picked up my save files without any problems which actually is a bad thing cause I'd like to play a new, clean game from scratch during the winter.

5. Calmmo

Calmmo Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Zotac AMP
    Wasnt there a recent nvidia hotfix about some w3 res related bug? Try the latest driver or find that specific hotfix one. As for saves rename the witchman documents folder by adding gog to it. Steamcher should make a new one then.

6. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Yes, I thought about installing the latest driver, maybe that will help.
    Good tip about the folder. Question - aren't the saves cloud based on GoG?

7. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    The latest .81 at least fixes a DSR crash that was introduced with .64 hotfix driver, could be related.

8. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    I hope so, thanks!

9. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    GoG had an update to 1.32 for me today. Who knows what it’s good for :)

10. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF

11. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
    fantaskarsef likes this.
  12. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
  13. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    still haven't finished this game.

14. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
  15. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    they were always going to settle. Things were clearly in the contract. You'd have to be really dumb just to demand a pay out based on nothing. I'm happy for the guy. His books lead to the development of one of the finest RPGs, the original Witcher.

fantaskarsef and Solfaur like this.

16. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Had my vote for them on both awards, so I'm happy they won. As for the Sapkowski settlement, it again shows how much class these guys have. They could have dragged it on, as I'm pretty sure they were in their rights, but chose to give him some money, as they morally at least, he did deserve it. You can be sure that someone like EA/Activision would never do something similar, despite the fact that they are huge and could afford it.

17. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    Yeah I agree he earned it, but he has no legal right to extra compensation afaik. They offered him a percentage and he turned it down.
    So kudos to CDPR for taking the high road. Countrymen should take care of each other.

By the way, I urge everyone to read the books. They have a ton of backstory, in particular for Witcher 3. Remember how most of us felt the reveal of the real wild hunt was kind of lame or disappointing? Well it's from the books.
    Regis travels with Geralt for 3 books I think. How Ciri is the daughter of Emhyr is explained etc. There is a lot of little stories that make a return in the game.

18. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    The thing is, we don't know if he had the right to any of this money. Maybe yes and that's why cdpr paid out. Maybe not, in which case I'm not sure why they would pay him.

19. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    Yeah I don't know what his rights really are either, but it could have been a lengthy court process that would have costs both parties time and money either way.
    If I was the judge my first question would be why is he making a claim for more money 11 years after the contract was made.

Edit:
    It's actually more like 15 years later.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
  20. Calmmo

Calmmo Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Zotac AMP

I don't think anything Kudos is applicable here. Someone went after them, their lawyers dealt with by settling. If anything it can be simply seen as the likely least headline grabbing way to go. "Under the table" helps as you never know how the media will handle a court decision to build a narrative.

As for the books, i personally wouldn't urge anyone to read the saga. It's not particularly good unless you are desperate for that detailed backstory. The original short stories (which make up the first 2 books) are easy to digest and can be viewed as reading contracts from the game and I certainly would recommend those to almost anyone.