Frametimes are insane, and I've done everything to fix them.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by John Dole, Nov 6, 2018.

1. John Dole

John Dole Member

GPU:
    Gtx 1070
    Yeah plenty of other games stutter from testing. Mass effect, PUBG (stuttering very badly, which other don't experience), Senuas Sacrifice.

2. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Quite recently I forgot to set Adaptive V-Sync in global profile after the new driver installation, and I witnessed unplayable space exploration parts in Mass Effect 2 (or 3) - mouse and the spaceship were very hard to move. After I enabled Adaptive V-Sync all went back to normal. You can imagine the amount of FPS my hardware produced in that old game. So sometimes huge amount of FPS is not good.

3. John Dole

John Dole Member

GPU:
    Gtx 1070
    I'm really trying to steer away from Sync options though as I really like any sort of input lag.

4. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Lucky me being perfectly fine with input lags, v-sync and 60Hz.

Good luck with solving the problem. I have no more suggestions, alas. Only time I had a stuttering in game I fixed with my own tool (accidentally), so I have no vast experience in the field of stuttering fixing.

5. John Dole

John Dole Member

GPU:
    Gtx 1070
    Yeah thanks for the help regardless, what do you mean your own tool?

6. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    I think you found your problem then. Probably.

I'd download a Windows 10 ISO from Microsoft. It's free. You don't even need to activate it; just skip the screen that asks for an activation key. You can use it unactivated for testing. It gives you like 30 days or something like that.

Do not copy anything from your other storage. Do it on a freshly formatted disk. This is to rule out malware as the cause. Just fresh Windows, nothing copied. Just install the GPU driver and then the game you want to test.

CaptaPraelium likes this.
  7. John Dole

John Dole Member

GPU:
    Gtx 1070
    So you think it could be the Mobo? Annoyingly I sold the other boards, because I didn't think it was the issue. I will have to rebuy either H81 Board or try another chipset.

8. CaptaPraelium

CaptaPraelium Guest

GPU:
    Good advice.
    In my experience the driver is installed from windows update, but I'm unsure if that occurs on unactivated installations. If windows installs it, that's fine, just go with the game alone.
    If you have to do it manually, remember when you install the GPU driver to uncheck GeForce experience, just to keep that pile of hay nice and small.
    You won't need to install chipset drivers or anything at first. I wouldn't even install afterburner to monitor it, until I checked visually for stutter first.

9. John Dole

John Dole Member

GPU:
    Gtx 1070
    So buy a new Mobo and do the fresh install there?

10. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Tool for system timer resolution tweak.

11. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    No, my post suggests it could be your Windows installation, since you just reused your existing one.

12. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    if frame limit eliminates them why not use it then? seriously.

I always use RTSS, just out of habit and to have lower input lag by vsync etc.. although @ 144HZ there is practically none, but guess yeah out of habit from old days.

If you don't like having monitoring running, which I see you do, you can always force fps cap in nvinspector. But RTSS is better.

13. John Dole

John Dole Member

GPU:
    Gtx 1070
    But I have reinstalled Windows over 10 times on this board, I mentioned beforehand.

14. John Dole

John Dole Member

GPU:
    Gtx 1070
    Because it doesn't solve the issue, only reduces it and I shouldnt have to do that.

15. John Dole

John Dole Member

GPU:
    Gtx 1070
    Installing new Z97 board on Saturday will keep you guys updated.

16. CaptaPraelium

CaptaPraelium Guest

GPU:
    Good to hear you will keep us in the loop because obviously we are all concerned with your situation..... but try not to spend too much money. There's no indication that your motherboard has failed yet. Nobody wants you to endure additional expenses. Nothing so far has indicated a hardware failure, so you really want to focus on your software and configuration. Still, a fresh install of windows on new hardware with no changes at all, except for the game install, gives you a fresh basis to start from. Good luck.

Killian38 likes this.
  17. Killian38

Killian38 Guest

GPU:
    What they said. If it still happens I'd find another monitor/tv and cord to plug them in with to test. You may have done that tho. You have switched out a ton of hardware. Doing all that with a Fresh install of windows via ISO download should give you some clue.

I did have a keyboard once that really screwed up my PC exp as a whole. It seemed as if it was software but it was my Keyboard the whole time. Any input device can cause massive trouble if it's not right.