The RTX 2080Ti Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Netherwind, Aug 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    That's the point, this whole thing has spiralled out of control because of an as of yet unknown quantity of problems with the FE.

We'll never get FE failure rates from Nvidia I wouldn't imagine although I still doubt they were anywhere as near as bad as some would have us believe.

Some youtubers have become a cancer with their blatant agendas and brand loyalty, they like to call out Nvidia and Intel on an almost daily basis but it is high time some of them were called out because they do nothing to help situations like these.

They serve only to spread FUD in pursuit of clicks which ultimately confuses customers and poisons the market with unsubstantiated bullsh!t.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
  2. RainyMirror

RainyMirror Guest

GPU:
    PNY 2080Ti XLR8
    At the end of the day, we should only care about our own 2080Ti's failure rates :D
    Mine is still alive on its second date.
    I doubt I'll OC it over the factory OC, unless there's a game I really want to play without some heavy trade-offs. So far, no such cases.

BangTail likes this.
  3. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Yah, that's another thing, we have no idea how many of these problems were caused by PEBKAC.

Kolt likes this.
  4. Gripen90

Gripen90 Guest

GPU:
    2x RTX 2080Ti SLi
    Got mine monday after waiting about 2 months.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
    The1, Noisiv, BangTail and 3 others like this.

5. vf

vf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATi Radeon™
    By doing what?

6. fr33k

fr33k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4080 VENTUS OC
    a simple guess, static hands.

7. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Static hands, incompetent OCing, bad air flow and the list goes on.

Again, I'm not saying PEBKAC is the only reason there are problems, I'm simply saying we do not have any numbers for the FE and the numbers for non FE cards that we do have lead me to believe that there is no inherent problem with them at all.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
  8. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    What's giving me a pause is the fact that out of hundreds of cards sent to reviewers, only 1 (or 2?) died. Am I getting this right?
    I'm not saying its PEKBAC either; no opinion atm frankly.

BangTail likes this.
  9. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    BangTail and anxious_f0x like this.
  10. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Apparently, many 'DOA' cards are simply a driver related problem which should be easily fixed by a driver update (or switching monitors) according to GN.

11. holystarlight

holystarlight Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4090
    Anyone else here noticed a really high pitched static noise coming from the FE cards?

The noise is louder than my fans in my system, only happens on high demanding games (anything pulling around 250W+) and the cards let out a high static squeal.
    It's really annoying when my system is dead quiet, I have had cards in the past that would do this, but this pretty damn loud for a watercooled system!

12. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    We're in the future, where the hearing aid has bluetooth and just bypasses real hearing, going for streaming mode and directly playing the audio over it, I love it! :D:D:D

Geryboy likes this.
  13. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    It will be coil whine.
    This is very hard to prevent 100%, some cards will have it, some louder than others.
    It could be the plates of an inductor, or any other ferric material in the construction, vibrating as the current direction changes. The changing current changes the direction of E.M.F on anything ferrous which can cause small elements to change direction very quickly, becoming a tiny loudspeaker at the frequency of the changing current or a harmonic of it.

Sometimes it isnt the card but the PSU.
    This can happen with a PSU you hadnt noticed before due to different operating frequencies or higher power use.

Get a long tube and listen down it as you move the end round the PC.
    Listen for the source of the whine.
    If it is the gfx card and its not bearable, its better to return it rather than attempt a fix (that may not work and will look like a visible modification, voiding the warranty).

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
    holystarlight and BangTail like this.
  14. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Yep, that most definitely sounds like coil whine.

15. Archvile82

Archvile82 Master Guru

GPU:
    ROG STRIX 4090 OC
    I agree with all of this, I'm happy I'm not the only person that sees this.

I used to enjoy watching YouTube years back as it has some interesting content on there. Now it's a marketing machine with angender pushers.

Most if not all youtube commentators come across like a bunch of dick heads to be quite honest.

Maddness and BangTail like this.

16. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Yah, it's all about money and selling brand x and it is sad to see so many people led around by the nose by these sanctimonious, self involved, greedy twats.

Sadly, it is how a lot of information gets disseminated these days and the corporations know this only to well, just another way to mislead the public, enticing them to take sides in arguments that ultimately only benefit the nefarious types that foment them in the first place.

17. Archvile82

Archvile82 Master Guru

GPU:
    ROG STRIX 4090 OC
    Social media is becoming more dangerous as time goes on.

All new hardware suffers from defects especial when at the forefront of technology until matured. It's nothing new and been like this for decades. It's only people with agendas pushing the 2080ti failures as something significant, let's face it this cards been getting flak since the price announcement so any more dirt flinging at it is another win for the nutters out there.

Also I'm sure Nvidia would have put 1000s of hours testing their design before going into production. My FE card runs about the same temps as my Asus strix 1080ti did so in my eyes nothing wrong with the cooler design, probably just needs a well cooled case.

Just it all get a bit tiresome reading it, I know it's easy to say not read it but when your into tech it's hard to avoid the BS lol.

BangTail likes this.
  18. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
  19. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Nvidia have made some changes

pharma, BangTail and anxious_f0x like this.
  20. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Do they mean FE cards or does it apply to all chips / cards / BIOS (also of AIB partner's cards)?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.