GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Prices are climbing

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 6, 2018.

1. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4090 TUF
    They typically still run at high if not full loads 24/7, which they aren't designed for.

2. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Depending on how much they've been underclocked and undervolted they aren't being ran a full loads.

3. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    An undervolted and/or underclocked product that runs 24/7 is technically not running at full load.

4. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Chances of 2nd hand card surviving the 1st couple of months are greater than the brand new one. That I can agree with.

To extend that and say that on average it's going to last longer...I would not go quite as far

5. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I would agree with this, though again, that depends on a lot of factors. If the GPU was overclocked then yeah, it's definitely not going to last as long as the average new GPU.

But like I said before, the differences in lifespan are effectively meaningless. The GPU will be obsolete long before it fails.

6. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Do we know if all miners use all this measures??? I have a feeling a lot of guys just jumped on the mining bandwagon, bought some GPUs and burned them as most as possible looking for "gold"...

Anyway, the new 2000 series are so expensive that they make the 1080ti look like a bargain... But i have a feeling that in a few months the 2000 series are going to have some big price cuts.

7. HARDRESET

HARDRESET Master Guru

GPU:
    4090 ZOTAEA /1080Ti
    Saw this coming back in early September , that's why i got me a brand new Gigabyte oc 1080Ti for $629.00 ! also about miners card , my 290x and 290a were super clean when i got them 3 and 4 years ago and still run well .

8. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    I guess you missed the title of the thread (1080 Ti Prices are climbing). "300 dollars cheapers on Ebay" may be for used cards, not new. If there is a new listing around that, chances are that its fake. Current prices for new 1080ti's roughly around $100 cheaper than RTX 2080 (ie, Zotac 2080 = $799).

9. TakesBeer

TakesBeer Member

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    I dont get what the fuss about the 1080ti is all about...
    Here in germany you get the 1080ti and the RTX 2080 for the exact same price (+/- 10€)
    So why should i not buy a RTX2080? It needs less power for the same performance, new architecture and driver support...

If someone could reasonable explain it then i am fine with it.

https://imgur.com/a/6KhPfsM
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    That's a pretty bold/optimistic statement. I assume you're talking about driver optimization? Have such leaps happened before?

I've read on multiple occasions that this is false and that the claim is debunked.

The situation would be "normal" for many people including myself if nVidia wouldn't have increased the MSRP by 300$ (which in reality is more btw). If you play in 4K and can afford the 2080Ti I don't understand why you don't buy it? It's in 4K that the advantage over the 1080Ti is the greatest.

11. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    For real?
    Yes, optimizations. Brand new architecture vs the old one. Which one will get more attention...
    • Mesh Shading
    • Variable Rate Shading
    • Texture-Space Shading
    • Multi-View Rendering
    • Async Compute (this time proper :))
    New tricks in Turing arsenal ^^
    Consider Wolfenstein II (async + adaptive shading)

12. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Most likely. Even looking at most guides on how to do so tell you to underclock and undervolt, you don't make money if you're spending it all on power usage. Big mining farms usually take pretty decent care of their cards.

13. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Stop mocking me, I don't disregard optimizations in general, I just question your "at least 5%", that's all. But if you're sure then great news for those who has that 2070. I don't remember getting a 25% increase over my old 980Ti and then another 5% on top of that but maybe its happened.

-Tj- likes this.
  14. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Come to think of it, +5% might very well be an overestimate on my part. +5% sweeping increase across the board is actually pretty big because it includes old games which likely won't see any kind of gains.
    OTOH looking solely at upcoming games, 5% uplift vs 1080ti is proly conservative. Not that I would bet my house, but lets say a piece of periphery...?

Oh and I forgot... add fast FP16 aka Rapid Packed Math, previously reserved for GP100/GV100, to the list of features.

LOL i know rite
    and if you're that much into 2nd hand why not get a 2nd hand 2080 :p

now seriously... 11GB -> 8GB is a bummer.
    ATM the impact of -3GB is proly just psychological, but 2 years down the road, it will be real, especially at 4k.
    With ~40% more VRAM (11GB), 2080 would age better no doubt about it.

Fox2232 likes this.
  15. Megabigd

Megabigd Guest

GPU:
    eVGA 3080TI FTW HYB
    I have a evga 1080 ti hybrid for sale cheap.

16. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    wait till the next gen after the 2xxx series come. the price will rise another $150+ I wont be buying new GPU any time soon, so 4 years altest and if prices dont go back normal for gpu i will just go console root, I already generally spend 750$ every 4-5 years for new CPU/MOBO and RAM and generally just reuse my case,psu,hdd/ssd less they need to replaced then another $300 for new gpu which is general the xx60 gts/ti cards and the prices on those card have slowly going up too a year after that. I be damned if i gona start pay 450+ gpu

17. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    fantaskarsef likes this.
  18. Wolfskin07

Wolfskin07 Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti
    I've sold and bought many items, used with warranty, and never have I had any problems activating the warranty when needed... Most brands honor the warranty regardless of who bought it, if it has all the warranty stickers on it and you have proof of purchase.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  19. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I was curious because if you buy at an etailer, technically the proof of purchase is between the etailer and a single person, and usually you don't set up any contracts when buying a second hand card that states the sellers name (which is in the etailers proof of purches), and the buyer's. Good to know it works though, I personally never was in that situation.

Wolfskin07 likes this.
  20. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    I just checked out some local prices and was absolutely stunned. A GTX 1080 Ti at Newegg.ca is going for anywhere from $1045 to a whopping $1940! Most of the cheaper ones are also out of stock so you're likely looking at around $1400 for this GPU - prices which would match the prices at the height of the mining craze. By comparison, a RTX 2080 is far cheaper - around $1100.