Frametimes are insane, and I've done everything to fix them.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by John Dole, Nov 6, 2018.

1. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Integrated to motherboard. Do you use it? Mine motherboard has integrated NIC too, but since I use WIFI card I disabled ethernet one.

2. John Dole

John Dole Member

GPU:
    Gtx 1070
    Yeah I have my Ethernet plugged into it. The stuttering began before when I was using an external wifi card however and I had nothing plugged into it however.

I have received a new PSU today will be testing that later. Probably not that though, I will return. Only thing left is to replace the motherboard. Do you think it's a possibility that my current Mobo is damaging certain components, or that there is some sort of H81 chipset incompatibility. I am lookign to buy a Z87/97 mobo, since I already tested two ASUS H81 boards.

I have a sneaking suspicions that every component I put into the gigabyte board is being fried in some way, or is that not possible?

After replacing the PSU and MOBO that's a complete overhaul, no component is the same.

3. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Modern PC rig is very complicated thing, so everything is possible. Since the main component in your trouble is videocard, it can be the culprit. You can try with different vodeocard, or your videocard in different rig (like in store/service place).
    Essentially CPU (with RAM controller and PCI-E bus complex), GPU and RAM are involved in frame rendering.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
  4. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Btw, what monitor(s) do you use? HDMI, DVI, DP? 4K, 144Hz?

5. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Check bios manual for ASPM power save pcie settings in bios.

6. John Dole

John Dole Member

GPU:
    Gtx 1070
    I have tried numerous cards, two 1070's a 970 and 670 and they are all the same so I guess it's safe to say that's ruled out, unless my Mobo is killing them as they enter my system, but the framerates are fine, it's just the frametimes.

I use a 144hz monitor withg DVi cable.

7. John Dole

John Dole Member

GPU:
    Gtx 1070
    I can't find that setting anywhere in the Gigabyte Bios.

8. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Have you tried Fast sync or V-Sync modes? Or capping the FPS?
    Do you witness big frametimes with 60Hz?

9. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
  10. John Dole

John Dole Member

GPU:
    Gtx 1070
    Capping the fps definitely reduces the stutters, but I should have to do that really, nor do I like vsync due to the input latencies.

Is that a dangerous thing to do, or can it be easily reverted?

11. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    You can revert. I always set my NV card to MSI mode (just in case, and after every driver installation - because it reverts back to legacy mode).

And what about Fast sync?

12. CaptaPraelium

CaptaPraelium Guest

GPU:
    It should help, so your negative result helps as it essentially narrows this down to a hardware issue (Edit: by this I mean most likely a configuration error, not a faulty part, don't sweat it), or something occurring during the installation.

It should only be boosting to 4ghz on a single core, not all of them. You have it overclocked.
    See here: https://ark.intel.com/products/80806/Intel-Core-i7-4790-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-4_00-GHz
    Scroll down to Max Turbo Frequency and click the question mark, note that this is for single-core boost. (Edit2: To be clear, I am not suggesting that the overclock is causing this issue. It does however indicate that the system is not correctly configured with stock settings, which work, and should be used as your base to work from)

Pagefaulting means your application is attempting to pull data from physical ram, but that data has been moved to the swapfile, so you get a pause while the system moves it back into physical ram. It is normal for this to occur when old data has been moved to the swapfile and there is something of higher priority being allocated the physical memory, however that shouldn't really be happening during gaming with your ample 16MB of RAM. Follow the advice in the latencymon report (check the process tab)

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
  13. CaptaPraelium

CaptaPraelium Guest

GPU:
    BTW, just while we're looking at the few hints we have:[​IMG]

Those spikes are super regular (reminds me of the power monitoring bug) That's not normal and is a big hint. Is it always like this in all your games? Have you tried disabling all the monitors except frametime, in afterburner? (Click the top one, scroll to the bottom, hold shift, click the bottom one, then while still holding shift, click the tick on the left side. Repeat this to re-select them later when you are done testing)

Are you able to test with a game that has an in-game frametime graph, and have all other apps closed?

14. John Dole

John Dole Member

GPU:
    Gtx 1070
    I have installed numerous times with different windows versions (1607+) and only installed a single program to test. What could be happening upon installation that does this, how can I avoid this. I'm simply doing a fresh format and installing windows from a usb stick.

In the graph I showed, my Cpu is hitting 3.9 (not 4.0) on all cores, and and the bios I have it clocked to normal speeds. Resetting bios to default shows the same option for a normal Cpu multiplier of 3.6Ghz?

Do you think it could be the Psu, I have a new one to test anyway.

15. John Dole

John Dole Member

GPU:
    Gtx 1070
    It doesn't stutter in Rainbow Six siege and my frametimes are solid, If I cap fps they are near perfect. Any open world style game Like PUBG, SCUM, single player titles, like Mass effect etc all have the frametime spikes.

16. John Dole

John Dole Member

GPU:
    Gtx 1070
    This is only monitoring frame time on it's own https://imgur.com/a/zXSLsKF

I don't have a game that has an in game frame time monitor unfortunately.

17. CaptaPraelium

CaptaPraelium Guest

GPU:
    That's the 64000 dollar question ;) Answer that, and you have your fix. Like someone else suggested it could have been the gigabyte software that comes with the motherboard, or as we've just tested it could be the app you use to test, afterburner... it could be something the game installs or the launcher installs, etc etc. I mean the possibilities are so numerous, it's really up to you to look at what's being done and consider what it might be.... We can guess and give you hints but you'll be the one to figure it out unless we get lucky ;)

Edit: This is a good reason to try to keep it simple and not tinker with weird settings and reghacks. Less is more if you're searching for a needle in a haystack you don't want to make more hay.

One of them shows 3991MHz on all cores, that's 4ghz. Like I said, I don't think an overclock is causing this at all.... but... it does hint that things aren't stock, so it's just kinda a "hey, look at this".
    I'd guess your motherboard has something like multi-core enhancement on by default.
    I really doubt that this is a hardware issue, everything about it screams software. The only hardware issue I could think of that it could maybe be, is perhaps the ram is installed in single-channel configuration. You can check this using CPU-Z, go to the memory tab, top right corner will be labelled "Channels #" and it should say "Dual".

Still have those regular spikes. That's a big freakin hint dude. Something is almost surely happening on a timer to cause that kind of regularity. We've seen this before when there was the power monitoring bug and the polling of power usage of the GPU on a timer was causing the spikes. Stuff on a timer is really obvious to catch like this. Since the power monitoring bug is fixed, and you're not polling anything else, it's unlikely that bug again, but you might start to wonder what else is on a timer like that, because the chances of that kind of regularity without a timer triggering it are approaching zero.

18. CaptaPraelium

CaptaPraelium Guest

GPU:
    Since the stutters are regular and almost certainly being triggered by some software, this kinda makes one wonder: What's not running when R6S is, but is running for the others? The steam launcher or overlay maybe? Something else?

19. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    you may safely disregard SCUM. its in alpha and terribly optimized.

if you're having issues in Mass Effect, then the issue is real.

20. John Dole

John Dole Member

GPU:
    Gtx 1070
    Thanks for being so thorough, it's much appreciated from all of you.

I did test other H81 boards, but never re-installed windows on those boards, but rather just booted up my SSD/HDD. Is there something that happens upon windows installation on a new mobo? I have a very strong feeling that it's the H81 chipset, or the drivers related to my board. Come to think of it, I'm not sure whether or not I actually installed the correct chipset drivers for the other Asus boards.

I am going to try a z87/97 board and see if that helps. I have also to install this new PSU, but I doubt it is that.

I can't find any setting that keeps the cores at what they should be in the Bios, none under the advanced cpu settings at all. it actually states that the multiper for core 1+2 is 4 and the other taper down to 3.7. My ram is in dual channel.

What else that would be on a timer like that?

Rainbow Six runs without steam, but also game Origin (mass effect) do the same. Also although I don't play it, Fortnite does the same having tested it.