Frametimes are insane, and I've done everything to fix them.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by John Dole, Nov 6, 2018.

1. John Dole

John Dole Member

GPU:
    Gtx 1070
    My frame times are all over the place and there is seemingly no reason or nothing I can do about it. They do not correlate to my frame rate, nor do they make ANY sense.

I began having stutter/hitch issues in everything a few months ago. I did an insane amount of troubleshooting before throwing in the towel and buying all new hardware. The stuttering is worse in Open world titles and also with video.

My frame times are terrible in everything as seen here. This is taken from a few minutes in scum, but it's the same story in every title, minus less demanding ones like Rainbow Six.

Frametime (spikes are stutters): https://imgur.com/a/PpYbpmn

Gpu temp and power is fine: https://imgur.com/a/MskEv8N

Core clocks are stable: https://imgur.com/a/r0FXsXj

Cpu temps are fine: https://imgur.com/a/7rC4G7m

Yet I still have terrible frame times. I have replaced all of my hardware except the Motherboard and Psu (which was changed earlier this year). I did try a new Mobo, but with my older components, to no avail so I reverted back to my old one. I put the new CPu, and Gpu and Ram in the old one again (having ruled it out as a problem), so maybe it is killing something crucial off?

None of the Hardware shows any sign of problem that I can tell while monitoring, such as High temps, voltage issues, clock dips etc. The issue is widespread and affects all title and videos.

I have done 100+ hours of troubleshooting

So far I have.

1. Changed all of my PC components (to an i7) Psu, RAM, SSD, Cables, 4 different Gpu's including two 1070's. Tried a different MOBO, but it didnt change so placed new components into my old mobo.
      1. Tried every different combination of windows settings, optimisation I can think of.
      2. Tried multiple different fresh windows versions on different drives.
      3. Installed only basic software.
      4. Changed Bios settings and profiles, tuned of iGPU
      5. Looked at temps, voltages and profiles.
      6. Tried about 10 different Nvidia drivers
      7. Lowered graphical options and other settings like Sync
      8. Ran many tests like userbenchmark, furmark, prime95, passmark uni engine (which stutters too)
      My frame time graphs are always all over the place, even with a locked fps, that doesn't drop, the frame time will shoot up to 200-500 all of the time.
    It's a complete mystery, it's been over 6 months of wasted time so far, I'm about to completely give up.

i7 4790
    Gtx 1070 Strix
    16gb 1600Mhz
    Samsung Evo 960
    Evga g2 650w

2. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Have you tried to use Latencymon (to rule out DPC latencies of devices)?

3. John Dole

John Dole Member

GPU:
    Gtx 1070
    No, how would I use it to test?

4. John Dole

John Dole Member

GPU:
    Gtx 1070
    I just checked and ther does seem to be an issue.

https://imgur.com/a/cMo5PtB

5. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Latencymon has ability to copy text report to clipboard (look in menu items). You can paste it here.
    First tab is not interesting, you better look at "Stats" and "Drivers" tabs.

Has the motherboard in your rig some 3rd party controllers like USB, SATA, Network, Audio ones?

6. John Dole

John Dole Member

GPU:
    Gtx 1070
    I'm not sure if it has third party controllers or not.

I will post the latencymon report below

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    CONCLUSION
    _________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Your system appears to be having trouble handling real-time audio and other tasks. You are likely to experience buffer underruns appearing as drop outs, clicks or pops. One or more DPC routines that belong to a driver running in your system appear to be executing for too long. At least one detected problem appears to be network related. In case you are using a WLAN adapter, try disabling it to get better results. One problem may be related to power management, disable CPU throttling settings in Control Panel and BIOS setup. Check for BIOS updates.
    LatencyMon has been analyzing your system for 0:05:24 (h:mm:ss) on all processors.

SYSTEM INFORMATION
    Computer name: DESKTOP-R1ENBQU
    OS version: Windows 10 , 10.0, build: 17134 (x64)
    Hardware: H81M-D2V, Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
    CPU: GenuineIntel Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60GHz
    Logical processors: 8
    Processor groups: 1
    RAM: 16341 MB total

CPU SPEED
    Reported CPU speed: 3592 MHz

Note: reported execution times may be calculated based on a fixed reported CPU speed. Disable variable speed settings like Intel Speed Step and AMD Cool N Quiet in the BIOS setup for more accurate results.

WARNING: the CPU speed that was measured is only a fraction of the CPU speed reported. Your CPUs may be throttled back due to variable speed settings and thermal issues. It is suggested that you run a utility which reports your actual CPU frequency and temperature.

MEASURED INTERRUPT TO USER PROCESS LATENCIES
    The interrupt to process latency reflects the measured interval that a usermode process needed to respond to a hardware request from the moment the interrupt service routine started execution. This includes the scheduling and execution of a DPC routine, the signaling of an event and the waking up of a usermode thread from an idle wait state in response to that event.

Highest measured interrupt to process latency (µs): 4737.840716
    Average measured interrupt to process latency (µs): 3.922888

Highest measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs): 4733.564172
    Average measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs): 1.572084

REPORTED ISRs
    Interrupt service routines are routines installed by the OS and device drivers that execute in response to a hardware interrupt signal.

Highest ISR routine execution time (µs): 107.964922
    Driver with highest ISR routine execution time: dxgkrnl.sys - DirectX Graphics Kernel, Microsoft Corporation

Highest reported total ISR routine time (%): 0.130346
    Driver with highest ISR total time: dxgkrnl.sys - DirectX Graphics Kernel, Microsoft Corporation

Total time spent in ISRs (%) 0.151673

ISR count (execution time <250 µs): 357398
    ISR count (execution time 250-500 µs): 0
    ISR count (execution time 500-999 µs): 0
    ISR count (execution time 1000-1999 µs): 0
    ISR count (execution time 2000-3999 µs): 0
    ISR count (execution time >=4000 µs): 0

REPORTED DPCs
    DPC routines are part of the interrupt servicing dispatch mechanism and disable the possibility for a process to utilize the CPU while it is interrupted until the DPC has finished execution.

Highest DPC routine execution time (µs): 5201.456292
    Driver with highest DPC routine execution time: nvlddmkm.sys - NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 416.34 , NVIDIA Corporation

Highest reported total DPC routine time (%): 0.046170
    Driver with highest DPC total execution time: dxgkrnl.sys - DirectX Graphics Kernel, Microsoft Corporation

Total time spent in DPCs (%) 0.166655

DPC count (execution time <250 µs): 1170769
    DPC count (execution time 250-500 µs): 0
    DPC count (execution time 500-999 µs): 2
    DPC count (execution time 1000-1999 µs): 0
    DPC count (execution time 2000-3999 µs): 0
    DPC count (execution time >=4000 µs): 0

REPORTED HARD PAGEFAULTS
    Hard pagefaults are events that get triggered by making use of virtual memory that is not resident in RAM but backed by a memory mapped file on disk. The process of resolving the hard pagefault requires reading in the memory from disk while the process is interrupted and blocked from execution.

NOTE: some processes were hit by hard pagefaults. If these were programs producing audio, they are likely to interrupt the audio stream resulting in dropouts, clicks and pops. Check the Processes tab to see which programs were hit.

Process with highest pagefault count: system

Total number of hard pagefaults 1574
    Hard pagefault count of hardest hit process: 498
    Number of processes hit: 22

PER CPU DATA
    CPU 0 Interrupt cycle time (s): 13.953859
    CPU 0 ISR highest execution time (µs): 107.964922
    CPU 0 ISR total execution time (s): 3.928402
    CPU 0 ISR count: 354953
    CPU 0 DPC highest execution time (µs): 5201.456292
    CPU 0 DPC total execution time (s): 4.083789
    CPU 0 DPC count: 1133916
    CPU 1 Interrupt cycle time (s): 4.381725
    CPU 1 ISR highest execution time (µs): 24.839365
    CPU 1 ISR total execution time (s): 0.002630
    CPU 1 ISR count: 2197
    CPU 1 DPC highest execution time (µs): 236.444599
    CPU 1 DPC total execution time (s): 0.086801
    CPU 1 DPC count: 8932
    CPU 2 Interrupt cycle time (s): 3.250735
    CPU 2 ISR highest execution time (µs): 3.923719
    CPU 2 ISR total execution time (s): 0.000303
    CPU 2 ISR count: 237
    CPU 2 DPC highest execution time (µs): 177.336581
    CPU 2 DPC total execution time (s): 0.039502
    CPU 2 DPC count: 6918
    CPU 3 Interrupt cycle time (s): 3.802341
    CPU 3 ISR highest execution time (µs): 3.111080
    CPU 3 ISR total execution time (s): 0.000024
    CPU 3 ISR count: 11
    CPU 3 DPC highest execution time (µs): 88.431514
    CPU 3 DPC total execution time (s): 0.014219
    CPU 3 DPC count: 3428
    CPU 4 Interrupt cycle time (s): 2.964836
    CPU 4 ISR highest execution time (µs): 0.0
    CPU 4 ISR total execution time (s): 0.0
    CPU 4 ISR count: 0
    CPU 4 DPC highest execution time (µs): 177.638085
    CPU 4 DPC total execution time (s): 0.030714
    CPU 4 DPC count: 5979
    CPU 5 Interrupt cycle time (s): 3.542892
    CPU 5 ISR highest execution time (µs): 0.0
    CPU 5 ISR total execution time (s): 0.0
    CPU 5 ISR count: 0
    CPU 5 DPC highest execution time (µs): 76.113307
    CPU 5 DPC total execution time (s): 0.014630
    CPU 5 DPC count: 2933
    CPU 6 Interrupt cycle time (s): 3.214778
    CPU 6 ISR highest execution time (µs): 0.0
    CPU 6 ISR total execution time (s): 0.0
    CPU 6 ISR count: 0
    CPU 6 DPC highest execution time (µs): 129.439310
    CPU 6 DPC total execution time (s): 0.026728
    CPU 6 DPC count: 5239
    CPU 7 Interrupt cycle time (s): 3.847467
    CPU 7 ISR highest execution time (µs): 0.0
    CPU 7 ISR total execution time (s): 0.0
    CPU 7 ISR count: 0
    CPU 7 DPC highest execution time (µs): 102.912027
    CPU 7 DPC total execution time (s): 0.023328
    CPU 7 DPC count: 3431

7. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    1. Only problematic thing I see in that report:
    Highest DPC routine execution time (µs): 5201.456292

2. As for 3rd party controllers:
    Audio - Realtek® ALC887 codec
    LAN - Realtek® GbE LAN chip (10/100/1000 Mbit)
    USB - VIA® VL805 chip

Do you use mentioned LAN and USB chips? If you don`t, then you can switch them off in BIOS or in Device manager.
    Have you installed drivers for these devices from Gigabyte support page? Or may be you have searched for newer versions?
    Here you can search for newest USB drivers
    https://www.win-raid.com/t834f25-USB-Drivers-original-and-modded.html

3. Are you sure BIOS is the newest one:
    - F6 5.76 MB 2015/08/11 Asia China America Europe - for revision 1;
    - FC 5.75 MB 2015/08/11 Asia China America Europe - for revision 2;
    - FC 5.75 MB 2015/08/11 Asia China America Europe - for revision 2.1
    ?

4. Have you disabled integrated GPU?

5. Have you installed any tools provided by Gigabyte?

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
  8. John Dole

John Dole Member

GPU:
    Gtx 1070
    1. What would be causing that?

2. I will see if I can install the correct drivers for those. Bios has no option to disable those controllers.

3. Bios is definitely latest.

4. Disabled Igpu

5. Only installed the chipset drivers located on my Support page for the motherboard.

9. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    In bios by power management did you disable those power saving features, mostly for pcie.. ASPM set all to off or disabled.

And by hdd disable aggressive LPM support.

Also use mbk1969 msi utility (run as admin) and by USB, lan, maybe even realtek sound set all to msi mode.

Although creative xfi audio at msi stops working, idk by realtek though.

And if you have 2 lan cards try to use intel only.

10. John Dole

John Dole Member

GPU:
    Gtx 1070
    I can't find any of those setting sin the Gigabyte UEFI bios. In fact I can't find a section at all relating to power saving features at all.

I turned off power saving modes on the CPu c3/c6 and EFCI, but it didn't work.

11. John Dole

John Dole Member

GPU:
    Gtx 1070
    Installed those drivers, but it didnt work, running out of ideas, have anew PSU coming tomorrow can test that.

12. CaptaPraelium

CaptaPraelium Guest

GPU:
    All these weird tweaks and disabling stuff and reg hacks and stuff are not necessary. A clean install of windows with stock settings does not stutter in games. Just leave everything stock. You said
    I'd be taking a long hard look at what you installed.
    You're pagefaulting a LOT, and the only time you don't have frametime spikes is when your commit charge (pagefile usage) is low. Makes me wonder about your memory....but I don't know what was happening during that image.
    You've overclocked the CPU (I see it running 4ghz on all cores), take it back to stock. Everything stock, works. Work your way up from there.

cryohellinc likes this.
  13. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    You can rule out controllers by temporarily disabling them in Device manager. Do it - one by one - and test. If disabling some controller will solve the frametime then either controller is faulty or its drivers behave incorrectly.

Is Windows installed in UEFI (boot) mode? If yes, have you tried to switch Compatibility Support Module (in BIOS)?

One thing to check is Intel ME things
    https://www.win-raid.com/t596f39-Intel-Management-Engine-Drivers-Firmware-amp-System-Tools.html
    First check ME status. Do flash newer FW only as last hope. (Because you can brick motherboard.)

As for MSI mode, Realtek audio and network controllers usually work in MSI mode by default.

CaptaPraelium is correct about clean install of Windows being the best troubleshooting method.

PS Have you tried to use different info tools? I mean current one (gpu-z?) can suffer from some faulty behaviour on your rig, showing incorrect results.

PPS You have not mentioned real troubles in games. I understand that for true nerd/geek big (not appropriate) frametimes can be a psychological problem. But have you actual problems in games?

14. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Good point.
    @John Dole Have you attempted running a memtest?

15. Angantyr

Angantyr Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070 Super X
    Adding to this, you should know that running a memtest can take a LOT of time. Like, 4 to 8 hours, it is a thorough process. So do take that into account if you plan on doing one.

cryohellinc likes this.

16. John Dole

John Dole Member

GPU:
    Gtx 1070
    I have installed windows numerous times and also different versions and it didn't help.

My CPu isn't oveclockable, it just boosts to 4ghz per it's description.

What is happening when I am pagefaulting?

17. John Dole

John Dole Member

GPU:
    Gtx 1070
    How can I disable controllers, while still; testing stuttering and which ones should i disable. Surely if am getting rid of USB controllers, my mouse etc wont work for me to test?

All games that are open world or have more strain stutter. Games like Pubg stutter really badly, and it correlates with the bad frametimes I am seeing.

I don't know how to switch to compatibility mode. Windows has been installed numerous times with no resolution. I also tried different versions.

18. John Dole

John Dole Member

GPU:
    Gtx 1070
    No, but I have changed RAM since it started happening, so I doubt it is that. Will give it a go regardless.

19. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Do not switch to compatibility mode. Check whether Windows is installed in UEFI mode:
    1. Press Win + R > type msinfo32 and press Enter.
    2. Look for the BIOS Mode entry.
    3. If the value listed is Legacy, then the Boot Environment is BIOS, otherwise the respective Boot Environment will be listed.
    If Windows is installed in UEFI mode then you can turn CSM off in BIOS. If any device starts to act weird with CSM turned off then you can revert.

You have not answered whether you use Realtek Ethernet card.
    Here is the OEM page with drivers for it
    https://realtek-download.com/realtek-pcie-gbe-family-controller/

20. John Dole

John Dole Member

GPU:
    Gtx 1070
    Ok, it's set to UEFI. Disabled CSM. Stuttering in games still present.

I don't have a dedicated Ethernet card, just the one attached to the bios